Birthday Greeter Support

6 hours ago, Mike John said:
On 6/9/2018 at 4:45 PM, Arni said:

/correction: the email came 24 hours later. :unsure:

And subsequent birthday alerts are now being created?

I only use the birthday emails at the moment. After I've changed the time from 0:01 to 8:00 am the emails come in more dependably.

Today a test birthday mail comes in at 11:44 am. The time buffer is set to 6 hours.

btw: I've found a bug in the time buffer drop down...

time buffer.png

10 hours ago, Mike John said:

The "Last Activity" date specifically. IPB might display this as "Last visited" for that profile.

In the Birthday Greeter settings, what do you have set for the time, time buffer and time zone? If there's no board activity to trigger the task I would recommend running tasks via cron jobs or adjusting your time and time buffer to cover low board activity.

I am indeed running my tasks with cron.  I had the buffer set to 4 hours just in case but when that didn't do anything, dropped it back down to 1 hour.

15 hours ago, Arni said:

I only use the birthday emails at the moment. After I've changed the time from 0:01 to 8:00 am the emails come in more dependably.

Today a test birthday mail comes in at 11:44 am. The time buffer is set to 6 hours.

btw: I've found a bug in the time buffer drop down...

And that also matches the desired timezone you set as well? There's not much I can do if there is low activity during that morning period. In cases where it is extremely quiet and the task never gets triggered, I would recommend running tasks via cron if possible.

Thanks, type noted and will be fixed next update.

5 hours ago, webheaded said:

Also for reference, my settings: https://imgur.com/a/cjmkBdM

If your using the daily topic option, instead of sending out individual birthday alerts. You should instead use the "{birthday_list}" quick tag as that will list all the member for each given day. It shouldn't prevent the topic but can you just try that change to rule it out first?

12 hours ago, Mike John said:

If your using the daily topic option, instead of sending out individual birthday alerts. You should instead use the "{birthday_list}" quick tag as that will list all the member for each given day. It shouldn't prevent the topic but can you just try that change to rule it out first?

Done.  Should I use it in the text of the post as well?  Also if I do that, any way to list the age for each member?

On 6/14/2018 at 1:00 AM, webheaded said:

Done.  Should I use it in the text of the post as well?  Also if I do that, any way to list the age for each member?

Yes correct. Do if your using "daily" topics, swap out the {member_name} and related quick tags and use a single {birthday_list} quick tag instead. That will then list the names of members having their birthday today with age appended at the end.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, webheaded said:

Also I'm getting a message in my Admin CP about the birthday greeter frequently locking up.  Nothing shows in the logs for that task though.

Well that likely explains why nothing was being sent out. Would I be able to get login details to take a look? Assuming the "Birthday Greeter" member you listed is an actual member, I'm not seeing anything obviously wrong in your settings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

the following questions:

1. Does the app honor the notification setting "Send me news and informations"? So if opted-out, it won't send any emails, even if the birthday has been entered?
  2. For my test user, I didn't receive an email nor a pm:
    # my test user was an admin (primary group) and a member (secondary group). Settings were on for "admins", but "member" excluded (in exclude groups). Is this a problem? Maybe it would be of advantage to specify who to send to, and not what groups should be excluded?
    # I read about "you need activity to trigger the send task". What activity do you mean? Is logging in an activity already, or does it require content creation on each day?
  3. Is there an overview, how many emails have been sent? Or any other indicator? Or a "test mode" where PMs are sent to the admins, that confirm birthday emails/pms have been sent (with details to whom, when...)

Thanks.

1. Yes it follows the "allow_admin_mails" flag for the email only. Other alerts are sent out normally. A quick way to check that an email won't be sent is to add the newsletter widget and if that comes up blank, that means your not going to get the email.
  2. Is it possible to temporarily remove that secondary group and test again? Just to rule in or out a possible bug there with secondary groups. As for activity, anything that triggers task runs. I'll confirm but I believe any page load on the forum should run through the tasks. That's partly why I included a "buffer time" to factor in low activity.
  3. IPB4 advises not to log successful task runs hence why I no longer log them. But I'm open to ideas here. Perhaps a "test birthday alert" button on the birthday settings page similar to the email settings "test email" button?
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 1:43 AM, Mike John said:

Is it possible to temporarily remove that secondary group and test again? Just to rule in or out a possible bug there with secondary groups. As for activity, anything that triggers task runs. I'll confirm but I believe any page load on the forum should run through the tasks. That's partly why I included a "buffer time" to factor in low activity. 

Today I discovered, that if a member is in 2 allowed member groups, he received the birthday greeter PM twice (the second PM 1 hour later), but should only receive once.

There is something wrong.

Probably if mixing allowed and denied member groups, they receive none, but have to go on testing this.

On 7/6/2018 at 12:11 PM, JTHastings said:

I have my settings set for Central Time in the US but the Birthday Box shows the Birthdays about 5 hours early (UTC). Shouldn't it follow my settings instead of UTC?

The birthday box is setup a little differently to the birthday alerts. I wanted to test the new approach first before adding it throughout the app.

On 7/8/2018 at 12:51 PM, Cyboman said:

Today I discovered, that if a member is in 2 allowed member groups, he received the birthday greeter PM twice (the second PM 1 hour later), but should only receive once.

What buffer time do you have set?

On 7/12/2018 at 2:02 AM, Cyboman said:

Today a member received 3 personal messages (PM) via the birthday greeter (the member is in 2 allowed member groups)

Could I get acp details to troubleshoot further? It should be stopping the task from running again more then once a day. You might have luck setting the buffer time to just 1 hour but if you do want to keep that increased buffer, I'll need to investigate this further.

Edited by Mike John
On 7/10/2018 at 7:29 PM, Mike John said:

The birthday box is setup a little differently to the birthday alerts. I wanted to test the new approach first before adding it throughout the app.

OK, I get that BUT it is causing some confusion with my membership (and me too for that matter) to see the birthday list in the box show up hours BEFORE the actual date. As an example, right now I have birthdays in the box for tomorrow and the Chat Posting, PM's, Topic Posts won't go out until just after midnight. Can this please be fixed sooner rather than later?

On 7/18/2018 at 10:51 AM, JTHastings said:

OK, I get that BUT it is causing some confusion with my membership (and me too for that matter) to see the birthday list in the box show up hours BEFORE the actual date. As an example, right now I have birthdays in the box for tomorrow and the Chat Posting, PM's, Topic Posts won't go out until just after midnight. Can this please be fixed sooner rather than later? 

What is your local timezone and do you know what your servers local timezone? I'll have a think and see if some kind of patch can be put together in the meantime....

9 hours ago, Mike John said:

What is your local timezone and do you know what your servers local timezone? I'll have a think and see if some kind of patch can be put together in the meantime....

Local is USA Central Standard Time Zone (CST) and the servers are located in USA Mountain Standard Time Zone (MST)

As a CIC customer, I also get the following error message in the ACP dashboard ->

Locked Tasks

The following tasks appear to be locking frequently: birthdayGreeter.
Please run them manually. If you require assistance with any errors shown please contact technical support.

Another system log entry:

• triggered by a "guest"
  • URL not available
  • RuntimeException::0
  • LOCATION_UNKNOWN

Backtrace ->

#0 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Member/Member.php(145): IPS\_Session::i()
#1 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/DateTime/DateTime.php(514): IPS\_Member::loggedIn()
#2 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/DateTime/DateTime.php(478): IPS\_DateTime::determineLanguage(NULL)
#3 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/birthdaygreeter/tasks/birthdayGreeter.php(67): IPS\_DateTime->format('d:H:i')
#4 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Task/Task.php(248): IPS\birthdaygreeter\tasks\_birthdayGreeter->execute()
#5 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/system/Task/Task.php(217): IPS\_Task->run()
#6 /home/nginx/domains/xxx/public/applications/core/interface/task/task.php(62): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#7 {main}

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 5:45 PM, Cyboman said:

Another system log entry:

I have the same.

And

The log entry was triggered by a guest
5 hours ago
The URL of page the error occurred on was Not available
IPS\Db\Exception::1048

INSERT INTO `xxx_core_member_status_updates` ( `status_date`, `status_author_id`, `status_author_ip`, `status_approved`, `status_is_locked`, `status_replies`, `status_member_id`, `status_content` ) VALUES ( 1533202262, 0, '', 0, false, 0, NULL, '<p>
    Happy Birthday, alex-bs!
</p>' )
Column 'status_member_id' cannot be null

BACKTRACE
#0 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/system/Db/Db.php(807): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('INSERT INTO `ip...', Array)
#1 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/system/Patterns/ActiveRecord.php(459): IPS\_Db->insert('core_member_sta...', Array)
#2 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/applications/core/sources/Statuses/Status.php(71): IPS\Patterns\_ActiveRecord->save()
#3 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/system/Content/Item.php(331): IPS\core\Statuses\_Status->save()
#4 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/applications/core/sources/Statuses/Status.php(383): IPS\Content\_Item::createFromForm(Array, NULL, true)
#5 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/applications/birthdaygreeter/sources/Alerts/Alerts.php(346): IPS\core\Statuses\_Status::createFromForm(Array)
#6 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/applications/birthdaygreeter/tasks/birthdayGreeter.php(125): IPS\birthdaygreeter\Alerts\_Alerts::_sendStatus(Object(IPS\Member))
#7 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/system/Task/Task.php(248): IPS\birthdaygreeter\tasks\_birthdayGreeter->execute()
#8 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/system/Task/Task.php(217): IPS\_Task->run()
#9 /var/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/data/www/xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.ru/applications/core/interface/task/task.php(62): IPS\_Task->runAndLog()
#10 {main}

17 hours ago, Sergey Kuzin said:

Possible solution.???????

Possibly but will need to test further.

1. I assume both of you were using cron jobs?
  2. What type of alerts are you currently sending?
On 8/3/2018 at 1:33 AM, Sergey Kuzin said:

I have the same.

Do you have a status sender value setup?

For some reason Birthday Greeter has stopped running. For the past several days it hasn't created a chat entry nor has it created a topic post. The job has been running as scheduled according to the task list. The only thing I have done is to install the latest IPS 4.3.5 Patch a few days ago. All settings remained the same. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

23 hours ago, JTHastings said:

For some reason Birthday Greeter has stopped running. For the past several days it hasn't created a chat entry nor has it created a topic post. The job has been running as scheduled according to the task list. The only thing I have done is to install the latest IPS 4.3.5 Patch a few days ago. All settings remained the same. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Well, today it's working again. Curious, I wonder what would cause it to not work for a few days and then all of a sudden start working again. I'll be looking closer to see if I can find a common denominator for the cause.