3.4 Features missing in 4.0

querschlaeger

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It no longer seems to be possible to unarchive an individual topic through Moderator Controls.

From the Archiving section of the Admin CP, you can't see how many topics are awaiting archiving / unarchiving.

I've just set one particular forum to be immune from archiving, and am waiting for hundreds of topics within it to be unarchived, but have no indication of whether or not it is actually happening!

Ability to preview posts

​+1 for this suggestion.

The WSIWYG is good but it doesn't fit for all needs.  Unless I'm missing something, if I manually insert a code it won't render on the spot.  I'll have to click "Submit Reply" in order to see how it translates.  I like the ability to preview a post before submitting.

• Management

IPS4 is a new product line that replaced IP.Board and its components. It would be best not to think in terms of what was in IPB that's "missing" from IPS4, but rather, what features would you like to see in IPS4 and most importantly, what's the real use case and objective for the masses? 

IPB tried to be something to everyone and while it remains an amazing product in its own right, the sheer amount of "stuff" added to it over the years limited its extensibility, cohesiveness across apps, etc. The goal of IPS4 is to meet the needs of most without going overboard while leveraging the marketplace for things that fall into the "hey, that would be nice - but doesn't belong in the core" category. 

IPS4 is also about striking down the narrow focused vision and doing things just because, leaving pages and pages of settings that mostly serve just to clutter and confuse. Now that we are well towards a solid platform for IPS4, we can soon begin working on the "cool" stuff people have been waiting for and some things that seem simple on the surface will not be immediately added because we have bigger plans. For example, many have requested "birthday on registration." We could relatively easily do that, but in IPS4 spirit, why stop there? So, we're going to add a "complete your profile" feature in which upon registration, you can nag the user to complete certain fields, or even require it. We also have plans for "Best Answer" that doesn't just address that specific request, but opens a whole new world of possibilities across the entire suite. 

So, there is a method to the madness and no, not everything from IPB will be included in IPS4, possibly because they're no longer relevant to modern communities (keeping in mind, marketplace opportunities exist for niche uses) or do not fit in with current and future plans. 

Feel free to share your thoughts on things you'd like to see -- ideally in separate topics (it's very likely your suggestions are going to go unnoticed if stuffed in one big topic with an ongoing dialogue) -- while not all suggestions are actionable, we do read them all. 

As much as I like IPB4 (and as much as I have said in the past I don't like it) there are a few things that bug me. The biggest thing is the advertisements. It seems the ads using "responsive mode" show correctly for me (I use a Mac and Safari as a browser) they do not show correctly for other admins on my sites using IE and Firefox. This is very annoying while trying to design and complete my sites. I had to do away with ads on one site because of the complaining. That is unacceptable considering I am a paying client, period.

I would also like to see a link system for IPB (willing to purchase) and larger screenshots for downloads. I mean, larger screenshots for downloads is a giving. It is like all the attention was giving to the gallery and not the downloads. The downloads should have a nice hook like the gallery showing nice images. 

I am not trying to whine and complain. But these are my main big things I would like to see improved on. I have mentioned these before. 

There are a few other things that could be improved. But those are the main things that just (in my opinion) have to change. 

Feel free to share your thoughts on things you'd like to see -- ideally in separate topics (it's very likely your suggestions are going to go unnoticed if stuffed in one big topic with an ongoing dialogue) -- while not all suggestions are actionable, we do read them all. 

Hi  ​@Lindy If you think suggestions can be lost within a big topic, I also think it can be lost among other topics as well . I re-suggest having a seperate database for ideas similar to Bug Tracker so that we can keep track of what is suggested, what is actionable, what is not

• Management

Hi  ​@Lindy If you think suggestions can be lost within a big topic, I also think it can be lost among other topics as well . I re-suggest having a seperate database for ideas similar to Bug Tracker so that we can keep track of what is suggested, what is actionable, what is not

​That's essentially what the feedback forum is. :) Whether it's in a topic or a separate database, we're not always going to indicate whether an idea is actionable -- you'll know whether it is or not when it hits the feature planner or a release itself if a minor change. In the case of big ticket items that many care about, we try to make a point to come back after internal review and let the community know the decision. That's not feasible or reasonable for every item that gets brought up. 

Things can get lost in large topics because the starting point isn't in the original post - the 8th idea in a topic may be 8 pages in surrounded by general dialogue (usually "I hate that idea, I'd turn it off" or "+1") related to the original suggestion. It's not an efficient way of presenting new ideas, nor an efficient way for us to receive them. We prefer new topics where the starting point is the first post. 

Thanks.

I understand that IPS staff read every requests, so stated.  Is there a chance that they can reply if they did or have some auto reply feature to let the members know that their request/feedback has been read by an IPS staff member?  Doesn't have to be lengthily.  Maybe an indicator like "IPS staff has read" or something. :lol:

As a random example, one could say we "removed" the "More Reply Options" button from the "Quick Reply" feature, which is how you had to add attachments to posts - but that's because in IPS4, all the options are already there, you can upload attachments from the "quick reply". We think that's a clear improvement, and the same goes for many of the things raised in this topic,

Now if there is something which you preferred the way 3 did, please let us know (ideally with a new topic). We often change things based on feedback and will continue to do so.

I dont think you can say there is a quick reply anymore with 4.0. you get this box that says Reply to this topic... when clicking there you either get 1 of 2 things happen, the reply box actually opens correctly and you can reply just fine, or the other annoying option the box opens not fully just the add attachment option opens up and you cant type any text in the box.

If the box is not open by default then I don't call it a Quick Reply as the idea of Quick Reply is you can type in your reply and hit submit reply.

It would be nice if the box was open by default in topics, i have a forum I use that replies come in quick that it is easy to reply to once you have actually replied once as the box is open after that first reply, but closes again if you have to change the page. in 3.4.x there was this nice feature if you were posting and hit the end of the post mark per page it would keep posting on that page for you and would only show the pages if you refreshed. but now it pages after your reply, kinda gets annoying that way

That's essentially what the feedback forum is. :) Whether it's in a topic or a separate database, we're not always going to indicate whether an idea is actionable -- you'll know whether it is or not when it hits the feature planner or a release itself if a minor change. In the case of big ticket items that many care about, we try to make a point to come back after internal review and let the community know the decision. That's not feasible or reasonable for every item that gets brought up. 

Things can get lost in large topics because the starting point isn't in the original post - the 8th idea in a topic may be 8 pages in surrounded by general dialogue (usually "I hate that idea, I'd turn it off" or "+1") related to the original suggestion. It's not an efficient way of presenting new ideas, nor an efficient way for us to receive them. We prefer new topics where the starting point is the first post. 

Thanks.

I agree with you abot the large topics. That is not the way to go. What I hoped was to have a db that we could filter the suggestions according to their status etc. Either feedback forum or db, they both have pros and cons. It is your choice to choose which..

We used to have nice little mime type images for attachments e.g. .zip and .mov files. Now all we get is a boring text link.

For example I had the following image for zip downloads. Now look at what's replaced it. I also had a nice little icon for the .c4d files (common file type for my forum)

WinZip_icon1.png

nomoremimeimages.png

• Management

YES PLEASE! I'm not upgrading until I can do this one. My members use it like a chat box, they reply to statuses that become conversations. It is heavily used. 

I'm convinced you're a bot, hired by a select group of customers and programmed to cycle through the feedback forum and post "I'm not upgrading until this is done!" 

Am I on to something? :lol:

No it's just a fact I'm still on 3.4.

And I have 3 unused licences as well, with 2 sites in dev, and one still on vB, just waiting for a few things I need to move forward. It's not a rush for me at the moment, and I actually haven't said that a lot. Maybe one other time. 

*This message was posted automatically*

( ;) )

It just seems like a lot of admin/user options in the ACP are gone. I hate to use the term "dumb-down" but it feels like it. I get the fact that IPB 4 was built from scratch and I do appreciate the hard work and hours IPS staff put into. I think what they had in 3.4x was good and it just needed a modern feel/look. I like the new features but I wish the old features were left in.

Archived