3.4 Features missing in 4.0

querschlaeger

Hello,

can we make a list of IPB 3.4 features that are missing in 4.0? Maybe some of us do not find the feature but it is still there (so you can help and say: Hey it is called now XY and found under AB)... Or some features may re included in future IPS releases.

• Deactivate BBCode/text formatting (CKEditor HTML now) for specific usergroups
  • Custom RSS Export

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this would be helpful. I miss

Cookie domain

Cookie prefix

Path to 'upload' directory

Upload URL

Gallery

Paths and URLs   
Directory to store images   
IPB has detected your uploads path as: /home/... 

Revert

URL to store images   
Leave this blank if images are being stored in a non-web-accessible location. Dynamic URLs will be used instead.
IP.Board has detected your uploads url as:

Update these manually for Test Board install that the live site doesn´t get touched.

​The editor is WYSIWYG so this is not needed. 

​It's still a 3.4 feature that's missing in 4. I'd still find it a valuable addition, as so many of my members are accustomed to using BBcode for manually inserting images, emboldening text, and so on. It's still possible to do this in 4, and is a quicker way of doing it for members who've been doing it this way for years as it doesn't involve having to find the right button to click, so Preview would be a nice feature to still have.

• Deactivate BBCode/text formatting (CKEditor HTML now) for specific usergroups

That's possible, click on the button you want to edit permissions for at Customisation > Editor > Toolbars.

Cookie domain

Cookie prefix

These are still available by creating a constants.php file (we relegated it here because unless you're using a custom SSO setup, changing them is not only unnecessary but will cause problems).

Path to 'upload' directory

Upload URL

Gallery

Paths and URLs   
Directory to store images   
IPB has detected your uploads path as: /home/... 

Revert

URL to store images   
Leave this blank if images are being stored in a non-web-accessible location. Dynamic URLs will be used instead.
IP.Board has detected your uploads url as:

Update these manually for Test Board install that the live site doesn´t get touched.

These are all present (along with options to configure the storage options for any upload type) at System > Overview > Files > Storage Settings 

That's possible, click on the button you want to edit permissions for at Customisation > Editor > Toolbars.​

Does not work this way. Users can still use BBCode without the buttons. Also they can paste a preformatted text (with the knows setting forcePasteAsPlainText you disable it sysem wide; http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/415902-how-can-i-diable-ckeditor-wysiwyg-for-a-usergroup/)

@Mark Thanks for chiming in, but... is there any chance IPS themselves could maintain a publicly available list of known functionality that was present in 3.4 that is no longer present in 4.0, along with a per-item clarification as to whether it's temporary - i.e. the functionality is coming back (ideally with an estimate of some kind) - or whether it's a permanent loss?

I think such a list would make a lot of people very happy and also clarify things considerably...

@Mark Thanks for chiming in, but... is there any chance IPS themselves could maintain a publicly available list of known functionality that was present in 3.4 that is no longer present in 4.0, along with a per-item clarification as to whether it's temporary - i.e. the functionality is coming back (ideally with an estimate of some kind) - or whether it's a permanent loss?

I think such a list would make a lot of people very happy and also clarify things considerably...

​This is an excellent idea and would save users and IPS a lot of time.

We rewrote the whole suite. We don't have a list of things we removed because we don't think in those terms. I promise you we didn't sit around a whiteboard one day and brainstorm what should be "removed". We redesigned and reimagined everything, obviously lots of things are done different, we think, and hope you agree, they're done much better. To make a list of every area we changed functionality in some way would not be feasible, and would amount to a list of everything in the whole suite.

As a random example, one could say we "removed" the "More Reply Options" button from the "Quick Reply" feature, which is how you had to add attachments to posts - but that's because in IPS4, all the options are already there, you can upload attachments from the "quick reply". We think that's a clear improvement, and the same goes for many of the things raised in this topic,

Now if there is something which you preferred the way 3 did, please let us know (ideally with a new topic). We often change things based on feedback and will continue to do so.

@Mark While I understand your answer, and I agree that due to the extensive nature of the rewrite you could argue that everything is different, I'm talking about the things that are clearly just plain old missing... I agree with many/most of the design changes and usability enhancements, but they're not a completely bulletproof explanation when it comes to stuff that's been cut, you know?

I know you didn't sit around a whiteboard brainstorming what should be removed, and I don't really appreciate the exaggeration/straw-man version of what I'm talking about...

I'm not talking about functionality that has been superseded or implemented via other means, I'm talking about stuff that was there in 3.4.X and is simply not there in 4.X, with no explanation as to why and no parallel or replacement functionality.

You ARE keeping a list of at least some of these things, because my understanding is that you DO intend to implement the database relationship field for Pages.... right?

Stuff like that. So we know.

​And what exactly is the point of echoing the same thing over and over, taking up unncessary space?

​In a busy forum especially if there are several long comments it is useful. It wouldn't have to take up much space if it were just a single line or no space if placed on the same line as the time stamp.  It could always be made optional if you don't want it. 

Missing from 4.0 that was in 3.4:

• The ability to separately specify the number of posts per topic page, and the number of topics per forum page. These were two different settings in 3.4 and you could have different values for each. Now in 4.0 there is only one setting and the posts per topic and topics per forum must match.

• Selective quoting
  • Quote to PM
  • Topic title above each post
  • Ability to add a "name=" to quotes from external sources
  • Option to display actual time and date on quotes and posts instead of "time ago"
  • MP3 player
  • undo and redo buttons

​When did we have selective quoting apart of core? OR Quote to PM and Mp3 player?

• Best Answer
  • Promote to Article ( in Feature Plan )
  • Members List on main menu ( not that I am missing. It can be done using other methods. I just wanted to make a note. By the way I have removed the Members menü item in my 3.4.7 two months ago and no one has realised )

Archived