News Support

On 06/04/2016 at 7:16 AM, Simon Woods said:

... and as you can see the entries aren't truncated. Is this possibly related to the theme?

Just try in the default theme to rule it out but I have had a similar report before. In the News settings, what do you currently have set for the truncate setting?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm enjoying this addition to my instance, two questions:

- The "manage news" button at high level access is giving me a 2S100/6 error code. Not sure if I am missing something there or otherwise.

- In the news preview segment in the list, I'd like to add a small image alight right next to my preview text, and I was wondering if you had already worked something in so I could just drop a tag on the image I would like to be included. So picture the three lines of preview text with a small supporting image align right to add flavor. I ask because it does not seem to be picking up any images included within that first three lines, I'm sure there is a restriction there I am unaware of.

Working from: http://www.oldbloodguts.com/news

Thanks in advance!

Also - that link to devfuse in an absolute bottom config throws off the design and is driving me up the wall. It is not even vertically centered properly and really looks out of place. I do not mind giving you credit although I am paying for this add on, but I would like to move that item so it is inline with everything else and does not break Ux flow. 

19 hours ago, [OBAG] Drew said:

- The "manage news" button at high level access is giving me a 2S100/6 error code. Not sure if I am missing something there or otherwise.

What version of IPB4 are you currently using? I'm currently working on a bug fixing round for all my apps, the News app being one of them.

19 hours ago, [OBAG] Drew said:

- In the news preview segment in the list, I'd like to add a small image alight right next to my preview text, and I was wondering if you had already worked something in so I could just drop a tag on the image I would like to be included. So picture the three lines of preview text with a small supporting image align right to add flavor. I ask because it does not seem to be picking up any images included within that first three lines, I'm sure there is a restriction there I am unaware of.

Nothing present now but I have been working on something similar for my Portal app, so will see if I can utilize the same code in the News app and include it in an upcoming release.

17 hours ago, [OBAG] Drew said:

Also - that link to devfuse in an absolute bottom config throws off the design and is driving me up the wall. It is not even vertically centered properly and really looks out of place. I do not mind giving you credit although I am paying for this add on, but I would like to move that item so it is inline with everything else and does not break Ux flow. 

Can you PM me a screenshot and will see what can be adjusted?

On 26/08/2016 at 3:21 PM, [OBAG] Drew said:

- I'm using the latest and greatest, forgive me as I do not recall the current release sequence off the top of my head. 

- That sounds nice, please let me know.

I should be able to include both in the very next release.

On 27/08/2016 at 4:57 AM, [OBAG] Drew said:

FYI: I also picked up your donations app and the devfocus link back has the same issue there as well. Let me know if I can be to any help to you in the process - although I am no expert on ip board, I have a team of twenty designers/client side folks that would be happy to contribute. 

PM Sent.

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Mike John said:

Thanks Andy.

@Alexandre. I've confirmed this as a bug and included a manual patch if you wanted to fix this now. The next version is only a few weeks away with an included fix.

Thanks,

@Mike John

the patch looks correct, but against the nickname of the person writing the news is not the same for the topic. I have checked level options and it is not working, but I'll look again.

However, on my side, the "Manage News" button refers to an error message!

Thank you for your help

5 hours ago, Alexandre. said:

the patch looks correct, but against the nickname of the person writing the news is not the same for the topic. I have checked level options and it is not working, but I'll look again.

I've updated the bug report with another patch.

5 hours ago, Alexandre. said:

However, on my side, the "Manage News" button refers to an error message!

Could I have the error code your getting and I'll take a look?

I've just updated this application with the following changes:

• Several crucial bug fixes, see bug reports here.
  • Support for auto thumbnail for news entries.

News Thumbnail.png

Thumbnail Settings.png

3 hours ago, Alexandre. said:

I translated the whole application, the error will be in French only. The system simply told me that the operation is not possible

Can you give me the exact error and code you got?

Edited by Mike John
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The share of a News entry to Facebook is very disappointing.  I'm not sure how much of this is inherent to IPS 1.4.16.1 and how much is under your control. Note that I am using Taman's Magnum theme, should that have anything to do with it.

Here's what the dialogue looks like when I click the FB icon to share the latest news entry:

news_share_dialogue.jpg

Note that it does not show any attached/associated picture at all.  Note also that it pulls in the copyright text from the page footer (perhaps from the Magnum theme), instead of pulling in any information from the actual news entry itself.

Here's what it looks like on Facebook, where it pulls in a cropped part of the site's logo image...

news_facebook_post.jpg

Bottom line is that this functionality is essentially useless to share News to Facebook -- since it includes neither text nor pictures that encourage anyone to click it...

I'm posting this here instead of in your Bug Tracker, because I'm unsure how much of this is under your control.  It is meaningful product feedback for you, if nothing else...

Edited by KentT