Community

Lindy

Favorite Browser?

On the topic of browsers- I found this new one, Vivaldi. I actually like it more than existent ones. It's really nice and customizable. Feels so much more sleek and easy to use.

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

browsers.png

It's one of the "Chromium trio"-- which besides Vivaldi includes Chrome and Opera, among others. Chromium itself is Google's open source web browser project. Basically, Opera and Vivaldi are building on the technology Chrome uses.

Edited by Lyonharted

On 2015-06-06 at 1:44 PM, Lindy said:

It seems I'm constantly changing browsers... Safari will work well for a while, then I'll use Chrome until Google pushes a bad update, then Firefox, then the cycle starts over again.

I wish someone would make the perfect browser!

What's your browser of choice and why?

It used to be an easy choice for me (Chrome), but nowadays it depends.  I have all four major browsers (Chrome, FF, IE, Opera) installed just in case.

Chrome is usually pretty solid, but sometimes it will just spin and spin for no apparent reason - maybe it has to do with their own proxy.

My major problem with Firefox is that it runs like a bloated heifer - consumes way too many resources in general running state, even with addons disabled.  Lots of people complain about this, and to my utter shock the "tech support" answer I read tended to be "oh, well just reinstall Firefox," which is the worst tech support answer anyone can give as a first response.  The big plus for me, however, is that unlike the other browsers, Firefox allows you to set the page timeout value.

IE...well, IMHO IE is the worst browser anywhere for anything except the most basic browsing.  You'd think Microsoft would stop trying to make the net conform to its opinion of what it should be by now...the most crashes and incompatibilities of any browser.

Opera I like - it has come a long way since its early versions.  But frustratingly the developers seem to refuse requests to make the page timeout value editable.

A geek friend of mine once told me a friend of his was at a tech conference with a seminar on browser security.  Chrome, Firefox and IE were rated in terms of their hackability.  The results as related to me: Chrome couldn't be hacked; Firefox took a little while to hack, and IE was hacked in the least amount of time.

On 5/8/2016 at 7:32 PM, Lyonharted said:

On the topic of browsers- I found this new one, Vivaldi. I actually like it more than existent ones. It's really nice and customizable. Feels so much more sleek and easy to use.

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

browsers.png

It's one of the "Chromium trio"-- which besides Vivaldi includes Chrome and Opera, among others. Chromium itself is Google's open source web browser project. Basically, Opera and Vivaldi are building on the technology Chrome uses.

I've been trying that one too.  Browser detection websites were telling me I was on Chrome when I went to check.    Now I know why they were saying that. 

Don't care for any of them to be honest they all have their serious issues. But for theme development I use Firefox Developers edition, no need for firebug or any other plugins to hamper things.

I know people will make fun of me, but IE is still my favorite. I just can't get used to anything else. I think the first browser I ever used was netscape, then when I started using internet explorer, I never changed to anything else, for like 20+ years now.

Chrome - 

It is fast, simple and have integrated Gmail :3

A lot of companies use Google Apps for their business email, so you have easy access to it through chrome :9