Pls bring back custom RSS feeds

NoGi

1 minute ago, InsideEdge said:

The app is easily worth the money.  

Not disputing that. Just annoyed that this shifts the responsibility away from IPS from listening to customer feedback regarding the removal of what was a key feature on a number of sites. Just pushes it down the priority list as there is a 3rd party workaround albeit a paid one.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, NoGi said:

It's a shame that we have to pay for a key feature that we used to have in the previous version …

No, you don’t. A global RSS feature, which can be customized in regards to what becomes part of the feed, has been rolled into the Activity Feed and you can use that within the stock software to achieve what you want. As Lindy said: “For those still calling for this, please read the whole topic.”. 

So please start reading instead of this pointless complaining.  

2 minutes ago, NoGi said:

Not disputing that. Just annoyed that this shifts the responsibility away from IPS from listening to customer feedback regarding the removal of what was a key feature on a number of sites. Just pushes it down the priority list as there is a 3rd party workaround albeit a paid one.

I hear ya, but after shutting down my RSS feeds and posting topics manually to facebook and twitter for months I welcomed this fix by @newbie LAC app.

13 minutes ago, opentype said:

No, you don’t. A global RSS feature, which can be customized in regards to what becomes part of the feed, has been rolled into the Activity Feed and you can use that within the stock software to achieve what you want. As Lindy said: “For those still calling for this, please read the whole topic.”. 

So please start reading instead of this pointless complaining.  

Show me where you can setup a global feed that only shows new Topics? I've read the whole topic, I created the topic and if I've missed the obvious please show me. I just went and created this feed:

feed.png

I still get topics coming up just because they've had a reply in it. I want it the way it was, appears in the feed on topic creation and that's it. 

@opentype, you may have missed my previous post when reading the full thread: 

If there is something missing regarding the current RSS implementation within the activity feed, provide feedback regarding this specific thing within the current implementation. That’s the reasonable thing to do and the only thing that might get you anywhere.

They won’t (and shouldn’t) waste their time building a new forum RSS export feature, when there is already a global feature for exactly that. Asking for it is pointless and arguments like “if they don’t do that, they are not listening to their customers” are just not justified. 

On 11/12/2015 at 9:47 AM, NoGi said:

This could easily be resolved if we could create custom streams based on topic creation date and only list topics as streams all seem to have RSS exports available. But alas, you can't create a stream based on creation date atm.

^^ Isn't that what I've already done. I've made a suggestion on improving the stream as streams have RSS exports available. So by improving the stream, I get my RSS export back. I've never asked them to build a new feature, just fix the stream so that I can have the old feature back.

I am a little bit confused about this RSS feed stuff... I am going to ask a question and if someone answers it; that would be great...

Here what I have with my current installation 3.4.  I created a forum and a RSS feed to go pull news from a website and display under my created forum as a topic for each RSS line.

Is this still possible with 4.1?

@media yes, I do this with Blogs.

This (my) topic is around pushing content (via RSS) through the provided streams to external consumers such as Facebook, twitter etc... The way in which this push works is different to what we had in 3.4.x. More specifically, my feedback in this topic has been around having the Stream work like the exports we had in 3.4.x where topics were listed only once (on creation) and not every time they were updated.

2 hours ago, NoGi said:

This (my) topic is around pushing content (via RSS) through the provided streams to external consumers such as Facebook, twitter etc... The way in which this push works is different to what we had in 3.4.x. More specifically, my feedback in this topic has been around having the Stream work like the exports we had in 3.4.x where topics were listed only once (on creation) and not every time they were updated.

Thank NoGi ^_^ much appreciated

On 3/21/2016 at 3:42 PM, Lindy said:

Deep breath, it'll be ok. :lol:

I meant there's little sense in creating two functions that essentially do the same thing. Let me know what specifically you're trying to do and let's see if we can make the stream RSS output do what you need. 

Allow us to sort by topic creation date. Basically allow us to use the Topic Feed in the block manager with RSS.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:19 AM, NoGi said:

Tell me about it...  i am with you here...    Every time you change your forum topics, you have to manually create a new feed for every single topic.  My 4.0 site has a worthless FB page because of this.  No following what so ever...  Because every time I get more than halfway done, I screw up and give up.  I am missing so many topics since I have an ancient feed.  Now my 3.4 FB page is more popular than the actual site because of the feeds.  Incredibly busy...   And keeps a steady flow of new people joining my forum.

This makes or breaks your site in today's social media atmosphere and IPS doesn't give a hoot.  

On 3/7/2016 at 2:15 PM, Lindy said:

We can look at improving stream output then.

@Lindy any more on improving stream output? We still can't have a stream that only shows new topics only. Still pulls topics with new replies which just clutters our social media sites that use RSS feeds.

5 hours ago, Lindy said:

No ETA yet, but it shouldn't be a big deal to add new topic listings to the stream RSS. 

Great, as long as it's on the radar a lot of us will be happy. Just don't want it to get lost amongst all the other suggestions.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Management

Activity Streams always create an RSS feed based on their settings. However, we have added a new standalone system that creates an RSS feed using the same logic as Activity Streams but as a standalone area. This will be in 4.1.17.

RSS Feeds 2016-10-19 1iq9w.png

1 hour ago, NoGi said:

@Charles the issue was around only the new topic being put into the RSS feed on creation and not every reply to it as well. Does this new rss setting allow you to achieve this? Otherwise can't see how this is different to creating a custom stream now?

The RSS Feeds will always sort based on creation date, rather than last updated. It's just the underlying architecture that is similar to streams, which allows us to do things like:

• Multiple content types
  • Content from specific containers
  • Started by specific members

And so on, all within a single feed while remaining efficient in fetching that data.

32 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

The RSS Feeds will always sort based on creation date, rather than last updated.

Ok, sounds like what I was after but just so I am 100% clear, the RSS Feeds that is coming in 4.1.17 will list the Topic on creation and that's it. It doesn't list again when a reply is made. So, when pulling into social media, it will only post the topic link once. If so that is awesome. I was hoping that you could have achieved this within the current streams but hey not complaining as long as this feature returns.

• 1 month later...

Archived