Pls bring back custom RSS feeds

NoGi

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe instead of just saying “I want this”, people could explain a little better WHAT they want? What are your use cases? How are you using the RSS exports? What options are required for these specific uses?

​We would like to feed most recent forum posts via rss to our home pages.

Maybe instead of just saying “I want this”, people could explain a little better WHAT they want? What are your use cases? How are you using the RSS exports? What options are required for these specific uses?

​I use RSS exports to have my forum posts syndicate to my social media (FB, G+ and Twitter) pages. The advantage of the RSS export available on 3.4.x was that I could build that feed based on the forums I wanted included (not the whole forum). As far as I can see, there are no other out of the box features that would allow me to do this? Instead, the only option is do to this forum by forum which is undesirable given the number of forums I have.

Using a 3rd party site to aggregate my feeds atm but it breaks everytime I change a forum which will be around once a month for the next few months while I optimise layout and forum content based on actual usage on my site. Would be good to get an update from IPS as to where this is at.

• Management

You can enable RSS feeds per forum so you can easily syndicate a single forum. Are you looking for a feature that can pull from various forums? How would we work permissions for that? Just show what guests can see?

• 2 months later...

I use a 3rd party solution to send out all posts (and an image from the post) to Twitter and Facebook

Currently can't do that as the custom RSS feed has gone which is critical to my sites

Until it's reinstated I either have to not upgrade to the latest version, or consider moving away from IPS which would be a nightmare

I'll happily look into creating a custom RSS feed application for IPS4. Just give me about a week or two and I'll post it here as soon as it's ready.

thanks, while you at it you should create all plugins that ips removed from 3.4 aswell <3

Actually I would be happy to work on this as a paid application, but before I do, I would like confirmation that this is not something IPS is currently interested in re-implementing themselves in a future release. Is that something you can comment on @Matt?

This RSS-option seems to be available on all activity streams you can create in the upcoming 4.1-version: 

Skjermbilde_2015-09-01_kl._17.34.52.thum

You can enable RSS feeds per forum so you can easily syndicate a single forum. Are you looking for a feature that can pull from various forums? How would we work permissions for that? Just show what guests can see?

Yes,

For me Guest view is acceptable.  I'd like to be able to choose which Forums RSS feeds are selected and combined to create a Site feed that is used to stream topics to facebook and twitter.  This is currently present in 3.4.8.   For example my site is a hockey website, thus I'd like to combine into one topic feed my NHL team forums along with other general hockey forums and not include other sports forums or off topic forums that are also present on the website. 

Ideally it would be great to be able to select and include the blog RSS and an article RSS feed to the selected forum RSS feeds.

• 4 weeks later...

As well as RSS appearing on Activity Streams, I just noticed it's a button on the View All Notifications page too.  Clearly IPS thinks RSS isn't dead yet (it's also available in Pages), so I guess there is still hope we can restore our RSS of global new topics/content to get our Twitter etc feeds updating again, possibly by Activity Streams rather than a global customisable RSS feed.

• 1 month later...

This could easily be resolved if we could create custom streams based on topic creation date and only list topics as streams all seem to have RSS exports available. But alas, you can't create a stream based on creation date atm.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived