Can IPS please improve the text editor on mobile?

theblackelk

Currently, it is pretty cumbersome at times to type on it. Some things go off the side of the screen and when text goes below the typepad area it does not consistently follow it. This means you'll be typing without actually seeing the words you are typing. This is actually happening right now as I type this. 

It it seems to be because the message box expands. The height should be fixed for mobile with scrolling. That should fix that issue. 

This isn't the first  time it has been brought up by someone. I just have heard several complaints since upgrading and this is one I agree with.

​Wait.  Are you making this post because:

1) You want the problem fixed for yourself and your board's users?  In which case, the support ticket with detailed information is obviously the way to go.  

2) You want the problem fixed on behalf of the entire IPS client base, and you think CKEditor is a crap piece of editor and you want it switched to Redactor?  In which case, this is a valiant effort behalf of the entire IPS userbase, but you still need to submit a compelling post with detailed information on why the editor doesn't work.  

3) Or, you don't want any problem fixed but just want to complain along with others?  

On a serious note, I'm not opposed to them fixing the editor for you and for others since ultimately that benefits everyone.  I agree this has been one of the most persistent motifs since the private pre-releases since last July 2014.  But making a generalized complaint that the "editor not work" doesn't do anything -- it doesn't solve your particular problem, it doesn't solve your user's particular problems, it doesn't help the IPS userbase whatsoever (except perhaps to assuage your fragile egos) and to be blunt, they've heard this complaint for over a year and they're obviously sticking with CKEditor.  So if you are genuinely concerned about making a solid case on behalf of yourself and others, then you need to present a compelling argument with details on your browser, OS, usage and everything else that you think might be salient.  

I have to agree the editor does something weird on mobile devices. iOS Chrome or Safari and I'm sure other mobiles as well. Basically when you click/touch to type the page gets wider and the page zooms in on the editor thus making the page be able to scroll left and right instead of being a fixed width. This is really annoying it would be like trying to use a desktop site on mobile constantly zooming and moving the page around as it's not a fixed width. (not sure how to explain that properly)

I thought @theblackelk posted a pretty specific description of the problem and what he thinks would solve the problem. How much more specific can you get?

​He didn't specify the OS or the browser.  Don't you think those are important?  Or do you think a general rant is good enough to provide constructive feedback?  

​He didn't specify the OS or the browser.  Don't you think those are important?  Or do you think a general rant is good enough to provide constructive feedback? 

You are unbearable in you fanboyism. I am not ranting, guy.

It is not of concern to you, but it is both on iPhone iOS 7 Safari and Chrome, Galaxy S6 running chrome, and a compliant about iPad on Safari that got two likes. 

• Management

We agree that the editor has a few mobile issues. CKEditor is working on an update that should have mobile improvements and we will apply it to our software when it's ready. Shouldn't be much longer.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived