So IPB4 deletes users accounts without warning?

Izaya Orihara

And here I thought this member was lying..I feel bad now lol.

Anyway, apparently it is possible for a user to accidentally delete their account on your forum. No warning, No prompt. Just deleted account.

How? Apparently by adding an emoticon with their name.

What she did was
(In her own words)

1) Went to account settings in the UCP

2) Clicked display name

3) Typed in new username and hit enter

4) Went to google and found a bear symbol to put in front of my name because I wanted that instead of just Allybear

5) Copy and pasted the bear symbol into the new username slot again (This was less than a minute later after I changed it the first time btw in case that had something to do with it. I was also using the default theme.)

6) Hit enter

7) Was logged out and all my stuff was deleted

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And here I thought this member was lying..I feel bad now lol.

Anyway, apparently it is possible for a user to accidentally delete their account on your forum. No warning, No prompt. Just deleted account.

How? Apparently by adding an emoticon with their name.

What she did was
(In her own words)

1) Went to account settings in the UCP

2) Clicked display name

3) Typed in new username and hit enter

4) Went to google and found a bear symbol to put in front of my name because I wanted that instead of just Allybear

5) Copy and pasted the bear symbol into the new username slot again (This was less than a minute later after I changed it the first time btw in case that had something to do with it. I was also using the default theme.)

6) Hit enter

7) Was logged out and all my stuff was deleted

​Can you please clarify with this person what they entered?  We would need to know what "symbol" they used here, I am not able to re-produce this in testing though.

It actually even works with emoji

Rikki_-_IPS_Community_Suite_2015-05-21_0

​Can you please clarify with this person what they entered?  We would need to know what "symbol" they used here, I am not able to re-produce this in testing though.

It actually even works with emoji

Rikki_-_IPS_Community_Suite_2015-05-21_0

​Sure Rhett

This is what she said directly

You have to use the bear emote if it's going to delete the test account you can get it here

https://www.google.com/search?q=bear+icon&oq=bear+icon&aqs=chrome..69i57.2397j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8#q=Allybear

I copied it right there

Copy it from the link don't click on it and then paste it in front of the username when you go to change it and then hit enter.

I copied the emoji and it's working just fine still 

_Test_new_Name_-_IPS_Community_Suite_201

You wouldn't copy and paste a urls to the username, however doing so cuts off the url as expected, and hitting enter saves it, it's not deleting the account at all though.

Settings_-_IPS_Community_Suite_2015-05-2

httpswww.google.comsea_-_IPS_Community_S

It looks like you may have other issues perhaps if you can still duplicate this? and if so what version?

I copied the emoji and it's working just fine still

_Test_new_Name_-_IPS_Community_Suite_201

You wouldn't copy and paste a urls to the username, however doing so cuts off the url as expected, and hitting enter saves it, it's not deleting the account at all though.

Settings_-_IPS_Community_Suite_2015-05-2

httpswww.google.comsea_-_IPS_Community_S

It looks like you may have other issues perhaps if you can still duplicate this? and if so what version?

​I am on 4.0.4 at the moment. I am going to do the upgrade to 4.0.6.1 soon(probably tonight).

So could this be something that only happens on my current version?

I can confirm that this happens for me too; I just tested it. It seems it keeps going to the registration form.
Used: ?A Username

Edit: User account isn't deleted but it will not show up in the ACP, and the user wouldn't be able to access the site it would be as if they were deleted; it is still in the MySQL Database, however the person's username is now blank. When I put a username for them in the database (field: name) and it fixed it, the test account was restored and could be accessed again. @Dorian Gray @Rhett

Enviroment for me: 
IPS: 4.0.6 (Upgraded from 3.6.7 -> 4.0.4 -> 4.0.5 -> 4.0.5.1 -> 4.0.6)
PHP Version: 5.5.21
MySQL Version: 10.0.19-MariaDB
Collation: utf8mb4_unicode_ci
HTTPS on everywhere

I tried this on 4.0.5.1 and it took me to a page where it insisted I enter a display name to "create your account".

The account was not deleted but it refused to let me navigate away from that page until I had corrected it.

Might she have run out of display name changes at the precise point I reached? I can see how a user might be locked out by then.

Mine was set to unlimited and no, it was completely locked out. So I don't think that's it. That said I don't think I was logged out either, I couldn't access anything and yet there wasn't a "Sign in" or "Register" button. It was more like as if I were banned, and instead of seeing and error message where ever I went, I just saw the registration form where ever I went. 

@Ryan Ashbrook: I will get a bug submitted to the tracker. I have submitted a ticket to the bug tracker. As Dorian is offline, I will submit a support request if still required (Although mine was done on a test board, not a live site) where as I assume Dorian is doing it on a live site, thus... Not really appropriate for me to do it. :)
@Dorian Gray: I think I'll leave the submitting as a support ticket up to you. It can be fixed with PHPMyAdmin, but you might want to do it through IPS Support like Ryan suggested.

@Ryan Ashbrook: I will get a bug submitted to the tracker. I have submitted a ticket to the bug tracker. As Dorian is offline, I will submit a support request if still required (Although mine was done on a test board, not a live site) where as I assume Dorian is doing it on a live site, thus... Not really appropriate for me to do it. :)
@Dorian Gray: I think I'll leave the submitting as a support ticket up to you. It can be fixed with PHPMyAdmin, but you might want to do it through IPS Support like Ryan suggested.

​Oh I am late with this. You're welcome to submit the ticket as it seems you may under the issue better than I do anyway lol. My admin can replicate it but I cant seem to myself.

i had an account called rss bot - i couldn't find the account in ACP and user profile failed - it was missing the email address - it wouldn't even show up in the member list or staff list even though i could see it from the front of the site - I had to dive in the database to add an email address in order for it to see. I thought it was something each word in user name was 3 characters - or a bug with early release - once i added the email address it worked but.

Archived