Spammer VOL XVIII

Owdy

I don't think they need more moderators here, this isn't really a discussion forum and I personally don't care if the board is flooded with spam for a few hours.

The real question is, are these topics posted by a real person or not? Because this looks like a bot and if it is one, then there must be some security issue with IPS4.

The real question is, are these topics posted by a real person or not? Because this looks like a bot and if it is one, then there must be some security issue with IPS4.

​Think the real question is how are they bypassing the spam monitor (which is supposedly included in our package) as if they are getting past that then means can also get past the same on customers forums ??

​Think the real question is how are they bypassing the spam monitor

There is no definitive way to differentiate between a normal user and user with intention to spam a board – unless the spammer is rather lazy. 

… that then means can also get past the same on customers forums ??

​Certainly. But it’s up to you what permissions you give to new member (groups). This can easily avoid this kind of flooding. 

There is no definitive way to differentiate between a normal user and user with intention to spam a board – unless the spammer is rather lazy. 

​Certainly. But it’s up to you what permissions you give to new member (groups). This can easily avoid this kind of flooding. 

​IPS site was never Spammed this much before IPB 4 so is there something in IPB 4 making it easier to spam all the IPB 4 forums (or something missing making it easier) ?

A topic creation limit per hour/day could solve this (partially).

​Not really.

Now one user posts 100 threads, with that limit 100 new users would post 100 threads.

(Easy to get 100 new email addresses and new IPs)

​IPS site was never Spammed this much before IPB 4 so is there something in IPB 4 making it easier to spam all the IPB 4 forums (or something missing making it easier) ?

​If that's the case then the spammers doing it on the IPS forums is actually a good thing. Because IPS can then monitor how it's being defeated, or specifically - what's gone wrong then make steps to correct the issue if they can. Kinda stupid on the spammers unless it's their intention to help. xP

I saw it happening as it was in progress; to be honest it looked more manual than spambot when I saw it. Threads were minutes away from each other not seconds - I am uncertain if there has been a situation since the one I saw or if it was a test for them to automate it. Either way I doubt the staff at IPS will let it go unchallenged. Given the amount of bugs in their software at the moment* it's possible something bugged out which goes back to what I was saying previously - they'll see it and correct it. 

* - Just an observation. Not a criticism. 

Is the spam filter a one-off analysis of that SPECIFIC post, or does it look at the user's recent activity and posts for comparison?

Clearly the heuristic is being bypassed, either way, but to me at the very least the % likely that something should be considered spam SHOULD go up based on how similar one post is to another recently made post, etc.

Archived