Spammers

Ocean West

with all the new spam blocking feature why are we getting more spammers getting thru?

​.

Where are the features ? we can't even fill in some rules to block or awaiting permission .. rules like the "anti-fraud" rules in Commerce ..

Received a PM from a Spammer:

“Hi? Greeting
I am writing to you to let you know that I am really impressed with your profile  I would like to get to know you better for a chance to discuss an important issue? & we can share great experiences together,I'm sorry if i am embarrassing you'll always be grateful if you will reply to my E-mail address (  Vivianaisatou@gmail.com ) not in this site because i am a new in this community and i don't visit this site often, I would very much appreciate to get a reply from you thank you for being who you are, and for providing such a great example of a good person to which I could aspire and admire.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thanks
Best regards

how are they circumventing  the posting limits?

I have all new people with NO posts go into a "curious" group

then they graduate to "newbies" on their first post but they can only post 3 posts in a day for 3 days - and with in minutes of joining they have 50 posts? how is this even possible?

then they graduate to "newbies" on their first post but they can only post 3 posts in a day for 3 days - and with in minutes of joining they have 50 posts? how is this even possible?

​If true then for me that is worrying

​.

I think they are missing some pages in their manual / documentation  :)

• 2 weeks later...

​I just had a mass spam wave and did some testing. The post limits seems to be broken:       [4.0.6.1] Multiple bugs with content count, post limits and auto-promotion     

I'm not sure 4.0 has the right tools for stopping spammers - and I certainly would call it "too f... bad" if my site looked like this. 

​I think people here are falling for the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Just because we now see a spam attacks here after the 4.0 upgrade, doesn’t mean that the 4.0 software is the cause of the attacks. I wouldn’t know why. You have exactly the same spam service behind it and the same spam prevention methods available. You can set your captchas, your question-and-answer challenges, you can moderate new users and posts, limit the amounts of posts, deny certain IP ranges and so on. That’s all your choice! 

@Ralf H. I find it very disappointing that the supplier of "our" software does'nt find a solution to prevent spammers on this big site.

I mean - if they can't stop spammers - how can we stop them? The spam prevention system is certainly not working (in4.0) - if it was - we would not have pages up and down with spam. I can't remember this was a problem when they ran 3.4.x but I might be wrong.

Every night this site gets hit with the voodoo black magic baba love spam... you'll refresh the page and there will be more than 30 in NC.

Another thing... what is the point of that spam??? Is there even one person that ever called that international number for voodoo love advice? 

@Ralf H. I find it very disappointing that the supplier of "our" software does'nt find a solution to prevent spammers on this big site.

I mean - if they can't stop spammers - how can we stop them? The spam prevention system is certainly not working (in4.0) - if it was - we would not have pages up and down with spam. I can't remember this was a problem when they ran 3.4.x but I might be wrong.

Have you even read my post and tried to understand it?

IPS has made certain choices regarding new users and new posts on this site. The choice are: to let people register without a question and answer challenge, without broad IP bans, without manually approving registrations, without manually approving the first posts (through user group settings) and without limiting the amount of such posts to a minimum. The spam attack are result of these choices, not of a system that is “not working” as you say. You are free to apply all the mentioned measures and more on your site – just as in 3.4. Nothing has changed in that regard. If you believe something has changed, I am curious what you think it is. IPS keeps the doors wide open currently–so unwanted people get it. It’s just the way it is. 

As @AutoItScript clearly explained in his bug report, a lot is failing .. this SPAM prevention is more in a mockup state then actually working ..

And again the IPS clients have to report it .. although IPS site is under attack but even they don't figure it out what's not working .. "Do they even test it" !

IPS keeps the doors wide open currently

They not even have a decent door ..

http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/4061-multiple-bugs-with-content-count-post-limits-and-auto-promotion-r6196/

Archived