Flaw in Pages >> Reviews, no way for author to leave rating w/o replying to record

chilihead

In Pages with Reviews on, there is no way for the author to leave a rating. They have to reply to the record under the Reviews tab. There are review type sites where the author leaves a review for a product, then the public leaves reviews. Not possible here. And that's how I run some review sections.

So is the idea here they have to leave a reply to actually rate the product, when the original record body is the review? That is not the best. It would look something like "Replying just to add my star rating." No good.

All you need is the "star" ratings available to the author, and next to it, it would say "Author's Rating," as to not confuse for the overall rating. Since review databases would also be run as you have it, with the authors just adding a product to the database for review, and not reviewing themselves, this should be an option in the Review settings.

"Allow author to rate without leaving review comment?"

Or similar.

Thanks

To clarify, I am not talking about the ability to leave a star rating without a review comment for users... though that would be a good optional addition too, but the ability of the original record's author to leave a star rating. The record should count as the review comment. They should not have to reply to their own record to be able to rate.

Thanks

PS. I suppose the "Did you find this review helpful?" option should appear in the record also if you make this change.

Not articles per se, reviews of products, etc. Where the author is reviewing a product and rating that product, not rating his words.

Cars
Electronics

Whatever

Review sections commonly have an official review and rating, with user reviews and ratings under it. 

The way it is now, the author would have to reply to his own review to leave a star rating.

In 3.4 the author can rate in the actual record. It is not shown as an individual rating, but they can. I like the new way a lot, but feel this is lacking.

so .. I've seen this too .. and I report this as a missing function in the bug tracker long time ago .. but .. yeah ..

If you switch OFF reviews (database option) .. and rating is ON (category option) .. then everyone (permissions) can rate (also the author) .. but not visible in the listing, only at record level

if you switch ON reviews .. and rating is ON (doesn't matter, database option ON overrides category option) .. then you need to write a review to vote and also appear in the listing ..

those 2 settings overriding each other .. if you plan to go with the first setting, you will loose all votes when you plan to switch over to include reviews ..

also the star icons are totally different, it's like 2 programmers been busy with it .. but one didn't care what the other one was doing  ..

if you plan to go with the first setting, you will loose all votes when you plan to switch over to include reviews ..

​Yes, because how else should it work? Those are two different systems and they are not compatible. If there are 50 ratings and you switch over to reviews, should it say “50 reviews” but no single review is actually visible?!

Archived