Feeds

11 hours ago, InvisionHQ said:

Try to suggest a new feature can be more useful instead make useless betting on the sad future of the app.

So i am supposed not to criticize the lack of development of this app? How do you intend to justify the renewal price with no new features and releases?
This is not a useless betting, and i am telling this from a end-user point of view: i look at your Google CSE Search app (in which i would be interested too) and i see the lack of commitment: poor support, poor updates, poor reviews. So i am really afraidof what may happen with this RSS Feeds too.

The interest in an app should be generated by its author in the first place by presenting an adequate set of features, pricing and presentation. Then, if app is really good, people will show their excitment about it.

From February to May I only sold 1 FEEDS app.

That's no surprise to me:

- The app was really expensive regarding its features which could barely be distinguished from the IPS RSS possibilities for normal users
- There were no new developments in about 2 years, and it still happens the same

I've bought this app still i am not using it: 've bought it because i expected it to be developed into something really useful, which would be (to me) the possibility of assigning the fields from an external RSS feed to fields in Pages records, with possibility of truncate and change (maybe allow users to set their regex / replacement expressions).

Post as yours do nothing but diminish even more the interest for this app and my interest in continuing to develop new features.

Don't blame me, my post is a consequence, not a cause. A consequence of:

- No development of this app
- Lack of an established development roadmap which can assure users that the app will effectively be developed

If you want me to cheer your approach, please plan a development roadmap that reflects user's aspirations. People who know me know that i can be the first guy congratulating a good job, but i can also be a harsh critic when i think things aren't right. I would be happy to congratulate you, and i will have no problem doing it if the app gets into the right track.

If you  are not happy with this app renew, I can refund your 10$ (not 20$) without problem.

I don't want my money back. I want trust: if people ask for renewal, they trust the app will be developed, otherwise what's the goal of renewing? If devs are not going to develop it they should post "no renewals after now: the development has been ceased".

Try to suggest a new feature

I've already done it:

• Detect the fields of an external RSS feed
  • Allow each field to be fed into pages Record field, including images
  • Allow each fed to be treated (truncated to max chars,  regexed, etc), sanitized (html purifier is a 3rd party lib in IPS 4)
  • Ability to extract media (image/video thumb) from description/content of the RSS feed entry and feed it into the record image IP Pages

This is what i expected from the beggining for the price this app had, and here are my suggestions.

Please don't take my criticism into a personal level - i don't know you personally. I am just speaking as a frustrated enduser of this app who sees this app is stuck in time in the last 2 years. Try to put yourself under my skin: you buy an app for $40.. you see the app is not where you wanted it to be, but you buy it to motivate the developer to improve the app. You renew the subscription and then you see the app is still about the same as in the initial release? Devs changed, no updates more than half a year ago? No plans for the app? Sorry if i was harsh, i know development is a hard task, but if the app was improved i wouldn't be here complaining. I extract no pleasure from criticizing.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me it is the first time in two years that I read your proposals.

However, it is useless to continue with the controversy even though it seems easier to criticize than to collaborate.

Now I am busy to making all apps compatible with 4.2 (this is also part of the dev work),

finishing this phase I will consider your proposals with a features roadmap.

So this is the right time to make suggestions.

Well, the previous dev knew them from the begining, and it seems there was another user has already suggested the same thing. I believe this app shouldn't present a big effort to migrate to 4.2.

Btw, i've made a php application two years ago that creates scripts that can be put as cron tasks to read and parse data from RSS feeds and does everything that i suggested above. I've built the app for personal use and i am still using it. Unfortunately i know nothing almost about IPS4 programming nor i am a serious php programmer and i would prefer a more elegant solution completely integrated into the IPS ACP, that's why i've bought this app, and these were my hopes.

If you need any help on any feature, i am glad to help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been interested in this app since it was developed. I actually owned the previous version on IPS 3.x.

One of the main reasons I haven't bought it is the inability for the app to grab the image and make it a featured image. If this were a feature added, I would buy it tomorrow.

I run a gaming community and I use the RSS import to pull in news about games my community is interested in. I would like the process to be more automated and pulling an image from the feed is almost necessary since the feeds will be on the homepage of my website.

Hope this is a feature that will be added soon. I'll follow the topic and the marketplace item and wait for updates.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, InvisionHQ said:

The FEEDS app works on 4.2

New features coming but I've no ETA.

I'm using one of @TAMAN themes and I'm not able to edit the theme with RSS Feeds installed using 4.2.3.

Actually it happens with all the templates including the default IPS templates.

ParseError: syntax error, unexpected end of file (0)
#0 /webpath/public/system/Theme/Theme.php(1585): IPS\_Theme->getCustomSettingField(Array)
#1 /webpath/public/system/Node/Controller.php(467): IPS\_Theme->form(Object(IPS\Helpers\Form))
#2 /webpath/public/init.php(448) : eval()'d code(16): IPS\Node\_Controller->_addEditForm(Object(IPS\Theme))
#3 /webpath/public/system/Node/Controller.php(366): IPS\Node\rules_hook_ipsNodeController->_addEditForm(Object(IPS\Theme))
#4 /webpath/public/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(85): IPS\Node\_Controller->form()
#5 /webpath/public/system/Node/Controller.php(62): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#6 /webpath/public/applications/core/modules/admin/customization/themes.php(49): IPS\Node\_Controller->execute()
#7 /webpath/public/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\core\modules\admin\customization\_themes->execute()
#8 /webpath/public/admin/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#9 {main}

Is there a quick guide to how I should setup the Pages Database so I can import the feed into a Pages Database?

Do I just create fields for each element coming out of the RSS:  title, link, pubdate, description, etc.?

Also, in feeds import there is a field for "Link to full article" is that just a general link to the website.  I tested out some more common feeds like the New York Times and their feed is not pulling in a link, but rather just the title and description.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, i had a few questions if possible to ask?

1) Does the app retrieve the feed import on a set schedule?  If so, how often does it import?  And would it be possible to add a setting where this can be adjusted?

2) Would it be possible to add a field on the import where you can add text at the bottom per feed?  For example, text at the bottom where you can credit the original feed for the entry?  (ie:  "Original article posted on Mixmag.net")

4 hours ago, Adam_S said:

Does the app retrieve the feed import on a set schedule? 

yes

If so, how often does it import?

every 30minutes

59db2f90f1613_Schermata2017-10-09alle10_11_53.png.29d96047f855f702b2c668d970e8fabf.png

And would it be possible to add a setting where this can be adjusted?

This is not possibile now.

Would it be possible to add a field on the import where you can add text at the bottom per feed?  For example, text at the bottom where you can credit the original feed for the entry?  (ie:  "Original article posted on Mixmag.net")

you can add a title prefix or add a link to the source.

59db301249fd3_Schermata2017-10-09alle10_14_52.thumb.png.2e207ae2974e09ddd920ffa0e87637a8.png

17 hours ago, InvisionHQ said:

yes

every 30minutes

59db2f90f1613_Schermata2017-10-09alle10_11_53.png.29d96047f855f702b2c668d970e8fabf.png

This is not possibile now.

you can add a title prefix or add a link to the source.

59db301249fd3_Schermata2017-10-09alle10_14_52.thumb.png.2e207ae2974e09ddd920ffa0e87637a8.png

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.  30minutes is perfect!

With the "Link to full article" field, is that meant to be for the text that appears over the link to the full article, or do we actually post a URL in that field?  Or is it meant to be the RSS keyword for the link to the article?

• 1 month later...

So more 6 months in addition to the other 6 months without news. A whole year paying for... nothing.

Half an year ago i criticized the lack of development of this app. You didn't like my criticism, Let's see what happened since then:

On 07/06/2017 at 8:27 PM, InvisionHQ said:

Now I am busy to making all apps compatible with 4.2 (this is also part of the dev work),

finishing this phase I will consider your proposals with a features roadmap.

Nobody has seen the roadmap app yet...

On 01/09/2017 at 10:21 AM, InvisionHQ said:

New features coming but I've no ETA.

... yeah right...

So it has came the time to renew the app, guess what? Nope.
I'm fed up of continuously broken promises and absent app development. This is not the way customers should be treated.
My participation in this topic ends here.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm contemplating buying this, first I want to know before I commit.

• Are you keeping up to date with this?
  • Will you continue to support this or do you have plans to not support it in the near future?
  • Do you have a demo installed, so that it can be tested, to ensure it meets our requirements?
  • Is this supported for 4.4.3

Will this be developed with new features, the awaited roadmap of features you mentioned above never materialised.

If I want to use this within pages, for a main news article, I would like to have this with an imported image from the feed or to assign a featured imaged for the article. I want to use it in a news article situation, which automatically formats the news article based on the information from the feed.

The main index would be a truncated, 2, 3 lines with option for image and must also be compatibale with pages supergrid. The below snapshot, are actual news articles but we removed the news articles from our site. I'm now looking to reintroduce them but via RSS/Atom feeds for a new landing page.

47e109b49b7e1b93d6c3ea90326f0f7a.thumb.png.a482dcc246fd818acaa782d2b4383bef.png

article view one selected

ee50e27a67fc26ac1faa7b3bb5f8ad49.thumb.png.5daa70157a2f91902ca36c838f58c3e8.png

I don't have a demo to go with here and the screenshots are lacking on the martketplace, so these questions and layout requirements may already exist or have been answered. 

However, it needs to be able to pull from multiple sources, it needs to be able to be categorised, so that I can have game specific news pulled and gaming news in general. It needs to show, the feed source at the end of the topic which links to the original source.

cc336d4fe3590a4fcdf51ec6efa34d6a.thumb.png.a9bc050b5cddccc7ffb6590b1e015706.png

Social media share options supported, so that anyone can share to their own timelines but it must also be supported by "Our Picks"

Actually, it's cool. I won't be purchasing. I can achieve what I want to do by copying the forum topic to the news database and then, add an article image and post. I truncated the following

data-ipsTruncate data-ipsTruncate-size='7 lines' data-ipsTruncate-type='remove'>

to

data-ipsTruncate data-ipsTruncate-size='3 lines' data-ipsTruncate-type='remove'>

It just needs manual input but that's a job for the admin and staff to do, until a fully automated system is available.

Archived