My site is suspended!

Frks73

I contacted my hosting and they saying that it because someone sending spam from site, support will at I ask you on this site for information on how to stop this mailer (mailer function) on the website. Please any help?

My version is IPB 3.4.7

I want to disable sending emails from administrations, they will not allowed me to enter site before I get this information and how to do this...

Please anybody, or I should take support ticket?

This is from chatting window with my hosting,

Ruel: First you need to check form the support of this website on how to disable the email sender function of the website

Ruel: Then password protect the server to block any access to it and stop the mail sending from the website

This if a part of log that caused this spamming

1. From: "Stripzona" <webmaster@stripzona.com>
  2. To: geraldin12j@princeton-edu.com
  3. Subject: New reply to Universal War Two T01-T02
  4. Content-type: text/plain; charset="WINDOWS-1250"
  7. BrooryKnorY,
  9. excacrica (http://www.stripzona.com/port/index.php?showuser=23968) has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Universal War Two T01-T02".
  11. ----------------------------------------------------------------------
  12. Sundry people today are perturbed about the trait of the branch water coming from their taps. Chlorination, while certainly making civic top-grade unhurt and preventing water-borne diseases, can also creator sickness and bring off unhealthy chemicals in our bodies. Fluoridation, touted as the acquiesce to base smelly teeth, does nothing but shoot supplementary fluoride into the hull that it doesn't need. Fluoride cannot indemnify the Funkcjonalno&#347;&#263; i nowoczesno&#347;&#263; wkomponowana w klejnot secesyjnej architektury. (http://www.nhpoznan.pl/) continual barrage of sugar on teeth from an unhealthy diet! Other chemicals that may remain in your not work constant after processing at a civic water facility

What seems to be happening is that bots are using your PM system to send PMs (and consequently Email notifications) on your board.

In the short term:

• Disable outgoing mail notifications for PMs. I don't know which version you are running - but there should be ways of doing it in 3.4, there are definitely ways of doing it in 4.0.

In the long term I would do the following:

• Introduce a security question (one only specific to your site), that even new users would know, but bots could not figure out.
  • Disable the PM system for unverified users.
  • Make sure that you have the IPS spam service running.
  • Consider using the Mandrill email service - its free and its pretty awesome. You can set that up under community enhancements, this will mean that if such a thing does occur again, you won't get suspended as your server is not sending the email - Mandrill's are.

Hi Frks73,

This could be due to a lot of things, although @Raidriar's view seems most likely

Try making your board more strict

On a side note, I find it quite strange for a host to suddenly suspend your whole website without warning.
They could have just disabled the mail service atleast...

Hey!

I have the same problem as you do except my site didn't get suspended but it is really sending out a lot of emails. This is due to my Notification Defaults configuration in ACP which I chose the option for every member to subscribe to x topic once they reply and they would get emails for new replies.

My suggestion:

Use Mandrill:

https://mandrillapp.com/

It has a 12k monthly free sending limit which you will probably fill instantly but it doesn't use your server to send emails therefore your host won't complain.

-

Change your Notification Defaults.

Go to Members - Notification Defaults and untick most/some of the email options as you see fit. This is for future members, it will not affect current ones unfortunately.

-

Go through each topic or at least the topics with most replies and unfollow all users from that topic. It might be pretty time consuming...

----

I've spoken to IPS support on how to change notifications for every old and new user but there's no option like that on IPB unless you edit every members options one by one.

Good luck!

Archived