REQUEST: More control over sidebars in Pages per type of view

Scoobs

I know there's been 1 or 2 posts regarding this issue beforehand but I'd like to bring it up again to see if others are wanting this feature as well.

It seems that any block added to a sidebar in Pages shows across all pages/views within a database. For example, I am trying to get a local business directory started...so when I'm on the "category" view and I add a block to the sidebar, that same block shows in the display view and the record view.

As well, if I add a block to a category page..let's say "Accountants," the same block shows up if I'm under the "Real Estate" category page. I'd like to be able to sell ad space to businesses in specific categories or just simply choose different blocks if needed.

The blocks seem to be added globally with no control over sidebar content on specific pages/views/categories.

I would be very useful if there were some kind of toggle in the database/category settings to override the sidebars per type of view & category.

Or the control was on the blocks.

Visibility control by Category, Tag, URL

​Nice idea...this would be a great option too.

This doesn't invalidate your request but this might be helpful to you if you haven't see it before:

Thanks, yes, I did notice it.  It doesn't give the full control that I think many people would like but it's a great start!​

​Yes I did notice this post.  It seems that creating a database for every category would be temporary workaround...but if you have dozens of categories it can get messy real quick to have to create that many databases.

@Ralf H. mentioned that this only applies to the block editor but if you style your own templates you can get around it.  I'm wondering if anybody is able to provide some examples???  I've already styled my own templates for each view but the "view" templates don't seem to be linked to the sidebar in anyway.  Anyone have any ideas?

I've already styled my own templates for each view but the "view" templates don't seem to be linked to the sidebar in anyway.  

​It isn’t. You basically would have to manually code the sidebar in the view template. Which is what you would have done in 3.4. But I don’t really recommend it and I didn’t do it myself. I wait until it’s a default feature. 

Archived