Hide or remove section in forumhome

Bruce_man

Forums > front > Index > forumRow

Squeeze this one out .. find this code (at the end), select everything & delete .. save ..

<ul class="ipsDataItem_lastPoster ipsDataItem_withPhoto">
	{{if $lastPost}}
		<li>{template="userPhoto" app="core" group="global" params="$lastPost['author'], 'tiny'"}</li>
		<li><a href="{$lastPost['topic_url']->setQueryString( 'do', 'getNewComment' )}" class='ipsType_break ipsContained' title='{$lastPost['topic_title']}'>{truncate="$lastPost['topic_title']" length="30"}</a></li>
		<li>{lang="byline_nodate" htmlsprintf="$lastPost['author']->link()"}</li>
		<li class="ipsType_light"><a href='{$lastPost['topic_url']->setQueryString( 'do', 'getLastComment' )}' title='{lang="get_last_post"}' class='ipsType_blendLinks'>{datetime="$lastPost['date']"}</a></li>
	{{else}}
		<li class='ipsType_light ipsResponsive_showDesktop'>{{if $forum->password}}{lang="no_forum_posts_password"}{{else}}{lang="no_forum_posts"}{{endif}}</li>
	{{endif}}
</ul>

Squeeze this one out .. find this code (at the end), select everything & delete .. save ..

{{if $lastPost}}
		<li>{template="userPhoto" app="core" group="global" params="$lastPost['author'], 'tiny'"}</li>
		<li><a href="{$lastPost['topic_url']->setQueryString( 'do', 'getNewComment' )}" class='ipsType_break ipsContained' title='{$lastPost['topic_title']}'>{truncate="$lastPost['topic_title']" length="30"}</a></li>
		<li class="ipsType_light"><a href='{$lastPost['topic_url']->setQueryString( 'do', 'getLastComment' )}' title='{lang="get_last_post"}' class='ipsType_blendLinks'>{datetime="$lastPost['date']"}</a></li>
	{{else}}
		<li class='ipsType_light ipsResponsive_showDesktop'>{{if $forum->password}}{lang="no_forum_posts_password"}{{else}}{lang="no_forum_posts"}{{endif}}</li>
	{{endif}}
</ul>

​Anyway to do this in CSS instead?

{{if $lastPost}}
	{{else}}
	{{endif}}
</ul>

​Let's say I'd do it this way. When an update comes out, will that override my changes in PHP and HTML or will they stay intact?

​Let's say I'd do it this way. When an update comes out, will that override my changes in PHP and HTML or will they stay intact?

​.

Depends on the update .. but yes .. it will be gone (IPS team also not advise you to edit this way  :) ) .. but because there is still a minimum of documentation .. I like to plow through the code :)

use the custom.css code instead (above) .. that will stay intact after updates ..

​That worked. Thanks

errr..how about this? (how to remove this spacious space or at least reduce its size? (see below)

empty_space.thumb.png.2b21583ac702d3f2b1

​.

add this to custom.css :

There seems to be a limit of 197 and not lower .. it gives a nice fit even with responsiveness of the page .. I guess it's okay ..

.cForumGrid {
	min-height: 197px !important;
}

​.

add this to custom.css :

There seems to be a limit of 197 and not lower .. it gives a nice fit even with responsiveness of the page .. I guess it's okay ..

.cForumGrid {
	min-height: 197px !important;
}

​I changed it to 10 but it still very tall. it actually didn't even decrease half its original height!

And I thought that space belonged to forum Description, but even when I added a description, that space WAS STILL THERE! so clearly it belongs to some other factor

I really would like to remove it

​I changed it to 10 but it still very tall. it actually didn't even decrease half its original height!

And I thought that space belonged to forum Description, but even when I added a description, that space WAS STILL THERE! so clearly it belongs to some other factor

​.

Yes .. seeing it .. still trying to shave empty space ..

​.

It has this pre - render responsive layout calculation to lock in that space ..

If you see it on mobile or full website it's not looking that bad ..

There is a min-height setting .. if you set it to height (minus the "min-") that will force the height fixed .. but then you will see if you change browser window size that your description will go out of it's boundaries ..

2015-04-28_14-04-52.thumb.png.1491980e77

2015-04-28_14-05-21.thumb.png.1f6c64ba69

​.

okay .. a bit more space removed ..

try this one .. replace with the other one .cForumGrid ..

.cForumGrid {
	min-height: 150px !important;
    padding-bottom: 1px;
}

​.

You don't wanna use description ?

​I know there's nothing wrong with using description, but no I don't want to use it

update: this last code I changed 150 to 0 and it decreased it by half. But the other half is still there

.cForumGrid {
    min-height: 150px !important;
    padding-bottom: 1px;
}

​I know there's nothing wrong with using description, but no I don't want to use it

update: this last code I changed 150 to 0 and it decreased it by half. But the other half is still there

​.

there is a class named ipsPad .. but this class is used everywhere : padding of borders .. 15px each side .. so total will give you 30px space (height) ..

I only can remove this in the template .. but .. if you update your IPS then it will be lost again ..

That portion where the description is .. if none is set in the forum then it will take 0px automatically .. no problem there ..

The class name of that description portion is not named properly (only includes ipsPad) .. so I can't get it in CSS to remove it ..

only way: change template .. grab it in CSS .. and poooffffff gone ..

I don't get this

but if there really is no other way to completely remove it in CSS then it's fine

​.

You can try, it's a tiny tweak :

in Templates :

Forums > front > index > forumGridItem

find this one :

<div class='ipsPad'>

change it to this :

<div class='ipsItemDescription ipsPad'>

in your custom.css :

.cForumGrid .ipsItemDescription {
	display: none;
}

That's it ..

explanation : the naming ipsItemDescription (gave it myself a name) was missing .. now in CSS you can do with that description area whatever you want .. in this case removing it ..

It is a tiny bug, it should be named properly ..

​.

You can try, it's a tiny tweak :

in Templates :

Forums > front > index > forumGridItem

find this one :

<div class='ipsPad'>

change it to this :

<div class='ipsItemDescription ipsPad'>

in your custom.css :

.cForumGrid .ipsItemDescription {
	display: none;
}

That's it ..

explanation : the naming ipsItemDescription (gave it myself a name) was missing .. now in CSS you can do with that description area whatever you want .. in this case removing it ..

It is a tiny bug, it should be named properly ..

​but like you said if I do this and then I update, it will be gone again right?

​but like you said if I do this and then I update, it will be gone again right?

​.

yes, correct .. will be gone .. I keep always a " to do " text file open with things like this, tweaks .. small memo's for small adjustments ..

I will report this later in the bug tracker .. it has to be named anyway ..

​.

yes, correct .. will be gone .. I keep always a " to do " text file open with things like this, tweaks .. small memo's for small adjustments ..

I will report this later in the bug tracker .. it has to be named anyway ..

​i see

then i won't do it

if you ever find out how to completely remove it then please let me know

thanks for your help

Archived