Suggestion - Category to show all the content (from that category + from all the subcategories)

Tanja

The point of having subcategories is to better organize the content, whatever that content is (albums, records, forums...). But using the logic of IPS applications, that also means that you're hiding the content from subcategories from the user (If a user is not familiar to the logic behind IPS suite).

Example, if we have destinations as categories (Europe - France - Paris / Nice / Cannes) and someone comes to the galleries for France, after the categories listed there is a list of all the albums for France. What would be expected is to see all the albums for France even if they are linked to Paris, Nice, Cannes, it doesn't matter. Clicking on subcategories would merely narrow the list down. That would be the expected behavior.

If you have the same example for Pages and you set your database index to show articles, you get a list of all the articles, no matter the category. Clicking on a category should again just narrow the list to show only the records from that level, and all the content that is linked to all the subcategories.

This is a suggestion based on our experience in our community.

I would really like to know if others have similar opinion. Also, if you don't agree, I'd like to hear your thoughts on why the current solution is better (I might be missing something).

Glad to see there are people who find it logical that way.

My main concern with the way it is now is that a user might leave a page thinking he has seen all that can be seen for that category, and that is definitely not the case.

• 1 month later...

I see you mention forums too. So you want parent forums to show sub-forum content?

I'd have to give that further though, still on coffee number one. ;) But definitely for the other areas. At least as an option! Heck if it was an option then the forum argument is solved as well. An option on all apps.

Would be really useful in databases when we create job and classified boards especially. The hierarchical level should filter down. If I view USA I should see all USA jobs and if I click a job in Alabama, that would actually be from the sub-cat Alabama.

As a setting we could turn this off so if you wanted the parent to be jobs that were available from home etc. and were available to any location in the USA you could do that, and then you click a sub-cat for location jobs.

So I could definitely see it as a simple setting! Yes, please add this!

I agree here too! If the category not showing any files, why Is It clickable?

​THIS! If we create a classifieds database with tons of categories and delete records (30 day job post for example), it looks like a mess with all the empty categories (0). They will never always be full so lots of (0).

Suggested here

Archived