Downloads-Usergroup options NEEDED for checkout

DesignzShop

Give us the option of moving a purchaser into a new user group from the downloads app instead of needing to take them through the store. Absolutely redundant to use 2 pieces of software to do the job of one. We do not need to show 2 stores, we do not need to waste time making everything 2 times. Customers should be able to be group changed from the downloads purchase without any involvement from the store and the need to do everything 2 times

To be a bit clearer, if a none user or registered member, new customer makes a purchase they need to go through the store to be group changed into let's say the "Client" group. If they are forced to go through the store that means they have access to the store and downloads and can see both which means we must make everything 2 times and having 2 places to buy something is confusing to the customer. Not to mention we must maintain 2 store ads on our site. IPB's own download site doesn't run anyone through the store either. Fortunately for IPB your customers make a purchase on the front-end and are already group changed by the time they hit the downloads. That's not the case however for most of us that are using downloads.

And how about some documentation so it doesn't take days to figure your product out. This is getting old not having documentation. We pay a lot for this product to be forced to guess at what to do on a gold version and waste unholy amounts of time trying to figure it out

I think it would be cleaner to route your members through IP.Commerce which will change the user group, and then set up a custom page which refers them to the download.  Just brainstorming here since IP.Downloads has never changed member groups.  

Agree abot the documentation.

Hi Joel,
The issue with that is let's say I want to have a certain group have access to other downloads that require that person to of purchased a previous product in order to purchase/download another. That's just one obstacle. I've been thinking about this all day and there's no solution really other than to have downloads be able to handle changing user groups or have commerce be able to handle uploading a file to it and have commerce handle to the entire enchilada. I've been also checking other commerce applications. Most handle files, I mean they are stores., They should. Instead we have to deal with 2 applications that don't work well together mixing everything up making life hard. 

Even if they decided to do something about this it would be months away and no solution for now. I'm really left with no choice but to look for another software to sell IPB skins...I can't wait to answer people as to why I use a different store other than IPB's to sell ipb skins. A simple task to move users into a new group for downloads.... lol..

Hi Joel,
The issue with that is let's say I want to have a certain group have access to other downloads that require that person to of purchased a previous product in order to purchase/download another. That's just one obstacle. I've been thinking about this all day and there's no solution really other than to have downloads be able to handle changing user groups or have commerce be able to handle uploading a file to it and have commerce handle to the entire enchilada. I've been also checking other commerce applications. Most handle files, I mean they are stores., They should. Instead we have to deal with 2 applications that don't work well together mixing everything up making life hard. 

Even if they decided to do something about this it would be months away and no solution for now. I'm really left with no choice but to look for another software to sell IPB skins...I can't wait to answer people as to why I use a different store other than IPB's to sell ipb skins. A simple task to move users into a new group for downloads.... lol..

​That's an interesting scenario.  I never really thought about purchasing one download, which will open up the possibility of more downloads.  

I don't understand why the IP.Commerce route won't work for you.  You let them purchase a package via IP.Commerce, which will change both the member group and link to the first file.  Because they're now in the member group, that opens up the possibility of downloading the other files.    

I also don't really understand why you would even need this kind of setup to sell IPS skins.  No other IPS skinner has this kind of 'trigger' on their website, but .... oh well.  More power to you.  

You may want to inquire in the Custom Projects, and ask an advanced coder like Esther or Marcher to see if they can do something for you.  You may also want to check with @Kevin Carwile's Rules application, which may also work.  

I'm not against your idea.  I think it's worthwhile for you to bring this up in feedback, since I am passionately supportive of closer integration of cross-app abilities.  

It's just a scenario of parent and child products .. check association under your product settings ..

You can easily set a product that can't be without the other one .. first you need to buy the parent product then you can buy the child products ..

It's same as you explained : 1 purchase will open up or be able to purchase others .. that means after you bought the parent you can get the children ..

If your customers/members wanna have one of the child products then the parent will be automatically added (if you like) ..

This total scenario doesn't even require to up-level your users every time they buy something or hide products from them if they are not on the same level (no point doing that) ..

Downloads is made to let your members sell products or free downloads (etc) and where you can take a piece of the cake and add your products in between by associating it .. and all the goodies are there to make your members happy, like the file version follow up, etc .. There is no need to bring in group level changes ..

Also if you sell products and want to give support to certain products you need to do this in your Store .. it's the only place where you can associate support messages with your products ..

I think you are brainstorming too far in this ..

Archived