Suggestions / Improvements for editing moderator permissions

ossipetz

Hallo

I'm trying to cleanup the moderator permissions after the 4.0.x upgrade. I'd like to do some suggestions (in my personal preference order :whistle:):

• use a autocomplete with multi-select list for the assigned forums (gallery categories, etc)
    (something similar like this or this - or anything similar that combines auto-complete with multiple selection)
  • for the longer lists with "on" / "off" settings have a link to turn all on or all of
  • a preview of the permissions (I have the Forum-Moderators group in the moderators, if a add a user that is part of this group as moderator I'm not sure if permissions are OR-ed or AND-ed or just one wins). I like the idea to put common permissions in the group and then I only need to add the specific forum for that member. But I'm not sure if it is intended to work like this (especially with the assigned forums)
  • add a column in the moderators table with the assigned forums.
  • add a list of forums with no direct moderator assigned
  • the sorting in the moderators table is weird (don't know if it is case sensitive, looks a bit like randomized order), sort by name might group together groups and members and the ignore-case sorts by name

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

It seems to me that any individual added as a moderator would inherit all the permissions set for the moderator group. From there, the admin can customize for the individual by turning on and off the various choices -- overriding the presets.

I agree with ossipetz -- who has many good ideas above -- whether permissions are "OR-ed or AND-ed " does not compute.

The way it's set up now, setting permissions on the moderator group level is a waste of time. Any time you add a moderator, you have to set all the permissions for that person anew.

This makes no sense. Or am I missing something about the hierarchy?

• 5 weeks later...

I continue to be impressed by how unnecessarily complicated setting up moderator permissions is still, in v4.2.3

Many more mod permissions should be universal and set up on the moderator group level. Example: Delete posts and topics; as these actions cannot be reversed, they require more centralized, consistent administrator control.

Permissions per moderator should be set up as overrides on the group permissions, to tailor permissions to the individual exceptional moderator.

The way it's set up now, every moderator is exceptional, and an extraordinary number of permissions on several tabs need to be set for each individual moderator. This makes it very difficult for an admin to make moderator permissions consistent from mod to mod, if that's the way you run your site and you have a lot of moderators, which I do.

It seems one of my moderators made a mistake and used a permission I gave all of them: Flag as spammer -- and this action surprised all of us by irretrievably deleting ALL of the member's posts, signature, etc.

I figured "Flag as spammer" for a moderator meant set a flag on the account for the admin to investigate, not a drastic action that cannot be reversed.

This is another irreversible action that should be controlled at the Moderator group permissions level. It's very difficult to set all moderator permissions consistently when so many of them are at the individual moderator level.

(Now I'll have to edit all 20 moderators' profiles.)

PS Related topics

Flag asspammer " should be undoable or harder to trigger

Flag asspammer " a dangerous tool!

allow moderators to ban without usingflag asspammer

Flag asSpammer Request

6 minutes ago, crabpaws said:

It seems one of my moderators made a mistake and used a permission I gave all of them: Flag as spammer -- and this action surprised all of us by irretrievably deleting ALL of the member's posts, signature, etc.

I figured "Flag as spammer" for a moderator meant set a flag on the account for the admin to investigate, not a drastic action that cannot be reversed.

This is another irreversible action that should be controlled at the Moderator group permissions level. It's very difficult to set all moderator permissions consistently when so many of them are at the individual moderator level.

(Now I'll have to edit all 20 moderators' profiles.)

PS Related topics

Flag asspammer " should be undoable or harder to trigger

Flag asspammer " a dangerous tool!

allow moderators to ban without usingflag asspammer

Flag asSpammer Request

For information and to help you here, the "actions" "flagging as a spammer" takes is based on your specific settings. See the below attached image, you can set  these as needed for your community.

image.png

Archived