Auto Welcome Support

On 11/19/2020 at 8:00 PM, Dean_ said:

Updated from 2.5.6 and the welcome post still do not work. Uninstalled and gone back to the previous version again mate.

Time delay or immediate welcome alert? Social media signups or normal signup? What is the exact version you went back to?

On 11/20/2020 at 9:17 AM, asigno said:

Thanks for the update @Michael.J, I've tried to update from 2.6.0 to 2.6.2 but still get the following error, even after the manual code change you recommended.

I'd suggest emptying the "autowelcome_members" database and then running the upgrade again.

11 hours ago, Michael.J said:

Time delay or immediate welcome alert? Social media signups or normal signup? What is the exact version you went back to?

It seems normal sign ups are working now, I’m just waiting to see if it picks up a Twitter login. These are all immediate welcome alerts.

On 12/2/2020 at 9:30 AM, Michael.J said:

I'd suggest emptying the "autowelcome_members" database and then running the upgrade again.

Great thanks that fixed it

I had this working great a few weeks ago, but I'm now getting double posts. Here's my scenario:

Users are added by CSV, then invited by bulk mail. When they follow up on that email, sign in for the first time, and create a username, that is considered complete.

Auto Welcome is firing off emails or PMs at both the time of CSV upload (account creation) and account completion.

I can work with it either way, but need to be able to choose one or the other. Is that possible? Or is this a bug?

On 12/5/2020 at 10:41 AM, elint said:

Auto Welcome is firing off emails or PMs at both the time of CSV upload (account creation) and account completion.

That's kinda a unique situation but I may have a patch if your willing to try a file edit on your site before the next update?

On 12/10/2020 at 10:38 AM, Justin Stellman said:

@Michael.J one question. I used the plugin a couple months ago and it it automatically send a thousand welcome posts (that were public and it took me hours to delete all of them) as well as welcome emails. If I upgrade the plugin and reactivate it, will it do the same? If not, how do I turn that setting off? Thanks!

I apologies for the trouble caused. This update should have fixed this. And as a backup it won't notify a member older then 2 weeks since they joined as well.

• 1 month later...

Hey @Michael.Jis there a way to add a minutes setting? Like maybe 5 or 10 minutes instead of an hour?

Is there a way to auto follow new members while turning off the make public option? Right now I manually send personal emails within Invision and also follow all new members. This way I know that anybody I'm following, I've also sent a welcome email to. But I uncheck the box that asks me to make my following them public. Is that possible?

What's the difference between a PM and an email? Both have subject lines. 

Finally is there a way to create templates for status updates? Since other forum members can read them, it would be nice to type out 5 or 10 different templates so that people don't think I'm using automated software?

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Justin Stellman said:

Hey @Michael.Jis there a way to add a minutes setting? Like maybe 5 or 10 minutes instead of an hour?

Yes. Find the 'H' and change it to an 'M'. You'll also possibly have to change a setting in the cron table so the task runs more frequently.

14 minutes ago, Justin Stellman said:

Not sure what you're asking here. An email is an email, a PM is a PM…

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes. Find the 'H' and change it to an 'M'. You'll also possibly have to change a setting in the cron table so the task runs more frequently.

Thanks @iacasI can change the H to an M but not sure how to change the cron table. Is it easy?

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Not sure what you're asking here. An email is an email, a PM is a PM…

Within the forum software I have an inbox where I can send "emails" to other members. I'm guessing that @Michael.Jis calling this a personal message and an email is an actual email that ends up in a person's gmail or yahoo account? Because neither of those things are status updates. I know the difference between email and PM but not in how they're being used in the description of this plugin/app. I hope that makes sense.

6 hours ago, Justin Stellman said:

Thanks @iacasI can change the H to an M but not sure how to change the cron table. Is it easy?

Yeah. I'm not the developer of course, I'm just trying to tell you it's possible.

6 hours ago, Justin Stellman said:

Within the forum software I have an inbox where I can send "emails" to other members. I'm guessing that @Michael.Jis calling this a personal message and an email is an actual email that ends up in a person's gmail or yahoo account? Because neither of those things are status updates. I know the difference between email and PM but not in how they're being used in the description of this plugin/app. I hope that makes sense.

Yes, it's an email. Your forum can send regular old emails, and so can AutoWelcome.

Or it can send a PM.

Or it can do both.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Yes, it's an email. Your forum can send regular old emails, and so can AutoWelcome.

Or it can send a PM.

So when I go to my inbox when I'm in the forums and I send a message that way, is that (according to the Auto Welcome settings) an email or a PM? I'm guessing from what you said it's the latter. 

So if I send a regular email from within the forum software and they hit reply in their email, where does their email end up?

@Justin Stellman, this is pretty basic stuff. If you're going to run a forum you don't have to be a developer, but you should know the differences between a Private Message (which can also trigger an email notification) and an email.

Where the reply goes to depends on what you specify as the sending email address. Some sites set up email addresses that won't bounce, but which don't have an inbox or anything. It depends on what you configure.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

this is pretty basic stuff. If you're going to run a forum you don't have to be a developer, but you should know the differences between a Private Message (which can also trigger an email notification) and an email.

I built websites back in 1996 when the web was just getting going and I've been in tech since that time. I'm not stupid dude. I know it's basic stuff but it's the language used by the developer of this app/plugin. It has nothing to do with my technical abilities.

I'm just trying to figure out how he's using those two terms. I appreciate your replies. 

5 minutes ago, Justin Stellman said:

I'm just trying to figure out how he's using those two terms. I appreciate your replies. 

He's using them the way they're used by just about everyone. Email is email, PMs are PMs.

image.thumb.png.7dd3c4025fa4978078c31e65264c2909.png

The second tab creates a PM.

The third one controls an email that's sent.

The fourth a topic that's created (or added to).

The fifth a Status Update.

Edited by iacas
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:13 PM, Justin Stellman said:

Is there a way to auto follow new members while turning off the make public option? Right now I manually send personal emails within Invision and also follow all new members. This way I know that anybody I'm following, I've also sent a welcome email to. But I uncheck the box that asks me to make my following them public. Is that possible?

Finally is there a way to create templates for status updates? Since other forum members can read them, it would be nice to type out 5 or 10 different templates so that people don't think I'm using automated software?

Yes but will require a file edit and database change until I can add this in a future update. If your happy doing that, PM me and I can provide instructions.

Setup auto follow for your forum account?

PM is the private message feature in IPB and also can include the email notification if a member sets it up. Email is just a direct email using the IPB template.

I've had suggestions for templates before and it is something I will look into the future but it's not a quick change and would need to be added when I've got more time.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:25 AM, Davyc said:

Just a quick aside - the plug won't install unless forums are installed.  My client used to use this plugin but can't now that he only uses Pages and Commerce - would you be able to add something to allow an install without forums?

Won't install or can't be used? It will disable the topic feature if the forums app is not installed but I can't see why it won't allow you to install the app if there is no Forums app installed.

On 2/18/2021 at 5:07 AM, Kellen Deming said:

I was wondering if there is an option for multiple welcome messages from different groups. So lets say I want to have the initial welcome message for registering to the site but when they are added to a new group I need a way to have an automatice welcome message to that group

No sorry it doesn't support multiple messages. I've got this plugin that might work how you want - https://www.devfuse.com/products/95-new-member-followup/

12 hours ago, Michael.J said:

Won't install or can't be used? It will disable the topic feature if the forums app is not installed but I can't see why it won't allow you to install the app if there is no Forums app installed.

Won't install.  It throws up an error stating that the forums column (or something like that) is missing and it just won't go any further.  I can try again and take a screenshot of the error if that would help.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:05 AM, Davyc said:

Won't install.  It throws up an error stating that the forums column (or something like that) is missing and it just won't go any further.  I can try again and take a screenshot of the error if that would help.

Yes please, full error details would help. Also what version of IPB are you using?

Sorry for the delay - here's what is shown during the install and from the system error logs.

During install:

image.png.99d790935c6e52b42aa9d622861ba9f0.png

And from the system error log:

#0 /homepages/system/Db/Select.php(383): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('/*dbs1227190::d...', Array, true)
#1 /homepages/system/Db/Select.php(441): IPS\Db\_Select->runQuery()
#2 /homepages/system/Db/Select.php(365): IPS\Db\_Select->rewind()
#3 /homepages/applications/autowelcome/Application.php(38): IPS\Db\_Select->first()
#4 /homepages/applications/core/modules/admin/applications/applications.php(1218): IPS\autowelcome\_Application->installOther()
#5 /homepages/system/Helpers/MultipleRedirect/MultipleRedirect.php(92): IPS\core\modules\admin\applications\_applications->IPS\core\modules\admin\applications\{closure}(Array)
#6 /homepages/applications/core/modules/admin/applications/applications.php(1282): IPS\Helpers\_MultipleRedirect->__construct(Object(IPS\Http\Url\Internal), Object(Closure), Object(Closure))
#7 /homepages/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(90): IPS\core\modules\admin\applications\_applications->install()
#8 /homepages/system/Node/Controller.php(62): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#9 /homepages/applications/core/modules/admin/applications/applications.php(48): IPS\Node\_Controller->execute()
#10 /homepages/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(152): IPS\core\modules\admin\applications\_applications->execute()
#11 /homepages/admin/index.php(14): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#12 {main}

Hope that clears up the issue and gives you something to work with :)