Auto Welcome Support

On 1/3/2016 at 5:04 AM, GT_Bullitt said:

Love your products but the only issue I seem to work running into is the PM sent to knew members isn't showing the welcome topic link?  Is this an issue that is known or am I missing something?  Thank  you.

Have you added the "%topic_link%" quick tag to your pm message?

4 hours ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

Would it be possible to not have the auto PMmessage in the PM box of the admin sending the message?

If you don't mind a test edit to try out, this might be possible. I send it as a "system" PM but I'm not sure that functions how IPB 3.4 did.

3 hours ago, Mike John said:

I'm looking for people who are willing to help with testing for Facebook/Twitter signups. Both with email validation enabled and disabled. If your forum is available, please PM with ftp and acp login details.

I have an test website if you are Interested. However I don't have the plugins installed on test website 

7 hours ago, Mike John said:

I'm looking for people who are willing to help with testing for Facebook/Twitter signups. Both with email validation enabled and disabled. If your forum is available, please PM with ftp and acp login details.

Hi Mike, we found out that Facebook logins did not fulfill our requirements. When Facebook logins are enabled required fields like sex,location and birthday are not filled and if sex field is "required" it autofills the filed with one of the values ( all memebers were marked as female on our case ) which makes the signup useless for our case. So I will not be able to participate the test at the moment but anyway thanks for the hard work.

Hi @Mike John

I have been in discussions with IPB support as there is an issue with my website that is causing duplicate subscriptions to be created in Commerce when this add-on is enabled.

The advise I have been given is to disable to plugin and reach out to the author.

Below is the reply from IPB regarding my issue:

Hi Pete,

Thank you for providing that information. I have investigated the issue, and I believe the problem is with the "Auto Welcome" application you have installed.

I will discuss with my colleagues strategies we can employ in future versions to prevent this sort of thing (a bug in a 3rd party app causing such an issue) happening in the future, but for now, I recommend disabling that application and contacting the author for a fix.

I provide the following information so you can pass it on to the application author. If it doesn't make sense to you, don't worry - just pass it along to the application author who will know what I mean.

• The user is passed back to the site from PayPal to a special gateway script: applications/nexus/interface/gateways/paypal.php
  • This script validates and processes the payment, and marks the transaction as paid.
  • It creates the purchase (this is the first one that gets created) which then tries moves the members account to the special group the user gets put in when they buy that item. At this point, a hook the application has on the \IPS\Member class which looks for any changes to a member's account. (this is why the issue wasn't happening for physical purchases, because they don't try to move the group which doesn't trigger the hook).
  • The hook attempts to call \IPS\Dispatcher::i() to determine if the user is in the Admin CP or the front-end. Because neither is true (the user is in the special gateway script) an exception is thrown which the hook does not catch.
  • This exception makes it all the way back to the gateway script which assumes the exception was in validating the payment and so redirects the user back to the checkout screen to display an error.
  • The checkout screen, seeing that the invoice has been paid in full but the purchases haven't been created, doesn't display the normal checkout screen and instead but starts the process again (creating a second purchase). This time, because the user is in the front-end, the hook doesn't trigger an error and so to the user, it appears that nothing has gone wrong.

Once you have disabled the Auto Welcome, we can delete the extraneous purchases. I did a quick database query to generate a list of affected members.

I hope that this makes sense to you and that you can provide a fix as it is a great plugin and wish to continue using it, however paid subscriptions are very important to me and my website.

Thanks.

Pete

Edited by VR6Pete
17 hours ago, VR6Pete said:

I have been in discussions with IPB support as there is an issue with my website that is causing duplicate subscriptions to be created in Commerce when this add-on is enabled.

What version of the Auto Welcome app are you currently using? One of the recent versions should include a "hasInstance" check for the dispatcher which I believe was the issue before.

On 4/3/2016 at 11:11 PM, VR6Pete said:

Update checking must be broken in that case. 

I have now updated. Will see how I get on

Do you have any notice of the updatecheck task failing? I know a few modders have broken update checkers which stops other apps from being checked.

13 hours ago, Mike John said:

Do you have any notice of the updatecheck task failing? I know a few modders have broken update checkers which stops other apps from being checked.

No, I even clicked the button in applications to check for updates and no notices on issues checking or to advise new versions available. 

7 hours ago, Mike John said:

Yeah I think I've seen a few of those before. Might want to notify the mod authors so they can fix their update checkers.

Already have - When I know a new version of an add on is available I will raise a support call with IPB.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2016 at 7:44 PM, Mike John said:

Have you added the "%topic_link%" quick tag to your pm message?

Yes I have that.  I just created a dummy account and I can confirm a couple of things.

• The Welcome PM has everything but the topic link in it.
  • The Welcome Email shows up just as it should but still fails to display the topic link
  • Email Titles are showing up like this Welcome %member_name% to %board_name%
  • Status Updates are not posting up to new users though it's enabled. 

Currently running 4.1.8.1 and your version 2.4.9  Thank you for your help sir.

Edited by GT_Bullitt

Hi Mike. As always, another great app. Love it. The only slight issue I've noticed is that although it does send the New Member a welcome email, the notification isn't working. So unless they click on the "messages" icon at the top of the screen, they don't actually know the pm is there? Only a slight bug, otherwise a superb app!

Infact, scrub that last post Mike! Must have been because the account was created via the ACP (just a test account). Went and created an account via the front end and it works perfectly! Only problem I have is the same as one mentioned above. It also sends me the welcome pm every time a new member joins?

Edited by crazzzydave