Holy Cow...can I port over my information from 3.4 to 4.0????

Jwrbloom

I uploaded 4.0 over 3.4 files, and it did nothing but create pages showing PHP code.  So I gutted the files and uploaded 4.0.  It's so completely different in my database.  Can I just port over my users and topics?

If not, I'd say the instructions given here  http://community.invisionpower.com/4docs/getting-started/install-and-upgrade-r8/  are completely inadequate.  

I mean crap...tell me there is a way to port over my pre-existing forum.

I uploaded the files in the directory where I wanted them, and when I went to /admin/upgrade, it just showed a page of PHP code.  All the data in my previous data tables are still intact there has to be a way to port that over, or you REALLY need to overhaul your instructions.  

I have the same issue upgrading my 3.4.7 to 4.0.2 live board. I made some backups of the file structure and database. I then converted the database to ut8 and I have no idea if it ran properly as it gave me a error message about a line in the converter, I've since lost what it said exactly but I think it did something as I got it to eventually say Almost There, test the UTF8 conversion by changing and adding a line to the conf_global which I did. Its not clear what to do next as it doesn't say what to do. So I removed all the files and folders except public, uploads, and confglobal. I uploaded all the 4.0.2 files, ran the checker again and it said all was okay. I ran the upgrader and it said to first create a new folder called datastore, make it writeable. When I looked there was one already, so I made it 777 just in case. Ran the upgrader again as there was no visible option to resume or continue, and now it just shows a php script in the browser?

IPS\Db\Exception Object
(
    [query] => SELECT conf_key, conf_default, conf_value FROM `x_utf_ibf_core_sys_conf_settings` AS `core_sys_conf_settings`
    [binds] => Array
        (
        )

[message:protected] => Table 'xxxx_ipb.x_utf_ibf_core_sys_conf_settings' doesn't exist
    [string:Exception:private] => 
    [code:protected] => 1146
    [file:protected] => /home/xxx/public_html/forums/system/Db/Db.php
    [line:protected] => 363
    [trace:Exception:private] => Array
        (
            [0] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Db/Select.php
                    [line] => 321
                    [function] => preparedQuery
                    [class] => IPS\_Db
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => SELECT conf_key, conf_default, conf_value FROM `x_utf_ibf_core_sys_conf_settings` AS `core_sys_conf_settings`
                            [1] => Array
                                (
                                )

)

)

[1] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /xxxx/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Db/Select.php
                    [line] => 219
                    [function] => runQuery
                    [class] => IPS\Db\_Select
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[2] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Settings/Settings.php
                    [line] => 127
                    [function] => setKeyField
                    [class] => IPS\Db\_Select
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => conf_key
                        )

)

[3] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Settings/Settings.php
                    [line] => 88
                    [function] => loadFromDb
                    [class] => IPS\_Settings
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[4] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/applications/core/modules/setup/upgrade/login.php
                    [line] => 43
                    [function] => __get
                    [class] => IPS\_Settings
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                            [0] => logins_over_https
                        )

)

[5] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php
                    [line] => 94
                    [function] => manage
                    [class] => IPS\core\modules\setup\upgrade\_login
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[6] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/system/Dispatcher/Setup.php
                    [line] => 222
                    [function] => execute
                    [class] => IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

[7] => Array
                (
                    [file] => /home/xxxxxx/public_html/forums/admin/upgrade/index.php
                    [line] => 24
                    [function] => run
                    [class] => IPS\Dispatcher\_Setup
                    [type] => ->
                    [args] => Array
                        (
                        )

)

)

[previous:Exception:private] => 
)

Very frustrating, I guess I'll have to put a ticket in too!

Out of pure frustration I removed the new prefix it told me to add after the until converter completed in conf global and immediately the upgrader appeared. It ran and completed but now I can't log in or view a forum, it keeps saying the pages don't exist and 404's. Blasted thing. It will only let me view my board index.

Out of pure frustration I removed the new prefix it told me to add after the until converter completed in conf global and immediately the upgrader appeared. It ran and completed but now I can't log in or view a forum, it keeps saying the pages don't exist and 404's. Blasted thing. It will only let me view my board index.

​Out of curiosity, did you run the converter before the upgrade, or during the upgrade?  Every time I ran the converter prior to the upgrade I ran into issues of some sort or another with the database.  However, simply doing the upgrade then running the converter when the upgrader told me to worked pretty good.  There was only one slight issue that I am aware of which support was able to resolve within minutes.

​Out of curiosity, did you run the converter before the upgrade, or during the upgrade?  Every time I ran the converter prior to the upgrade I ran into issues of some sort or another with the database.  However, simply doing the upgrade then running the converter when the upgrader told me to worked pretty good.  There was only one slight issue that I am aware of which support was able to resolve within minutes.

Hi,

Yes, I did run the converter before starting the upgrade. I wasn't aware you could do it as part of the upgrader.

i downloaded the 4.0.2 suite with forums and gallery, saw there were no instructions included with it, found no instructions except Woodsmans guides to making a test install etc. I remembered IPS saying you had to convert the database first, and I had run the IPS checking tool first which advised me to do it. I ran it again after the convertor didn't work properly and it said all tables were in utf 8, so I ran the upgrader as it kept saying the installer was locked.

Archived