Simple page with articles on a single row (single column)

Marius

I recently purchased IP.Pages and I have no idea how to work with this product.

I do not want to build something complicated, I would just use the default theme, and I just want to have a page with articles on a single row (single column) with the left sidebar, as for example is this page http://techpulse.io/news/ (but with the default theme IPS).  I hope @Spendon Gavekort not to be bothered because I used his website as an example, and I want to congratulate him in this way for clean and beautiful design of its website.

I would be very grateful to those who help me with the necessary instructions, a kind of step by step guide for how to build such a page from the beginning.

Thank you very much.

In the database settings, there's an option called Database Index, set it to "Show records like articles", and that should give you exactly what you see in the site you linked.

(Well, you have to enable the sidebar in the actual page settings before you can add blocks to it).

@-FP , that is fine, I get the same view but what about the record images ?

​In the database options, at the bottom there's a setting called "Enable record image upload". Also, make sure that Record Image field is enabled in the database fields.

In the database settings, there's an option called Database Index, set it to "Show records like articles", and that should give you exactly what you see in the site you linked.

(Well, you have to enable the sidebar in the actual page settings before you can add blocks to it).

​Thank you. I'll try to see what comes out.

Hi @Marius is the site on 3.4.7 or IPS4 ?

​Currently my forum running 3.4.6, and I intend to do the update on version 4.0 and after the upgrade I want to add / install IP.Peges.
Now I'm trying to learn how to work on a test subdomain.

​Thank you. I'll try to see what comes out.

​Currently my forum running 3.4.6, and I intend to do the update on version 4.0 and after the upgrade I want to add / install IP.Peges.Now I'm trying to learn how to work on a test subdomain.

​Same here.. I have the required view on 3.4.7 and looking for answers how to achieve it on IPS4 :)

​In the database options, at the bottom there's a setting called "Enable record image upload". Also, make sure that Record Image field is enabled in the database fields.

​I found where the problem is.. The test site is an upgrade from 3.4.7 and the main page is a block rather than a database view. 

@-FP do you know where that view can be customised  cause we have teaser paragraphs in all of our News andI would rather have Teaser being displayed instead of a short-cut body..

@ABGenc Hmm, maybe if you edit your main page or create a new one (Manual HTML), and set its content to only {database="your_database_key"}, that should display the default stuff.

​Exactly that is what I will do ;) Thanks :) What about the other question .. Any idea ?

Ow I forgot about the teaser paragraph.

If in 3.x you were using the default teaser paragraph field, then in 4.x go to the database fields, edit the teaser paragraph field, and under Display Options you can enable "Show in listing template", and to just show the text, set "Listing View Format" to "No formatting".

The issue now is that both the teaser and the actual content will show. A quick and dirty fix would be to go to Database Templates -> Category Articles -> entry, and remove this line: {$record->truncated()|raw}

Or you can work on it a bit more, and check if there's any content in the teaser paragraph, so if there isn't, you can then show the content generated by {$record->truncated()|raw} to prevent having an entry with no preview text. (Still figuring this out, the if statement doesn't work as I expected).

I can't understand and figure out how I can add a photo next article.
Even if I insert a photo in the content of the article, in my case it is not shown near article in the list of articls page.

Please explain me what I need to check and what options to activate. Thanks.

I can't understand and figure out how I can add a photo next article.
Even if I insert a photo in the content of the article, in my case it is not shown near article in the list of articls page.

Please explain me what I need to check and what options to activate. Thanks.

​You can use the default built in functionality for that.

1. In the database settings, Options tab, at the bottom there's a setting called "Enable record image upload". Enable it.

2. In the database fields, under Publish Fields, you will see the field "Record Image", make sure it's enabled.

Then when you create an article, you will have the option to upload an image, which is automatically inserted as the article's image. (Because that's how the article template is made by default).

Moving forward.

I have arranged the Database -> Category Article -> Entry template so that it shows what I am willing with only Teaser Paragraph. But as far as I get, this will affect the view of all article categories which I dont want it to be.

I think I can add a new one to use only with this "News" database but since there are many options I am lost.

@-FP which options should I use when adding a new template ?

@ABGenc Well, yes you can define templates globally for the database, or override it per database category.

So you can create a duplicate of the template, make your changes, and then assign it to a whole database or to a category of it.

Database Settings, Details tab, near the bottom you have settings for Listing Template Group and Display Template Group.

If you want your custom template to only affect a specific category of your database, go to the database categories, edit the one you want, and you have the same options to choose the templates, at the bottom of the configuration tab.

I guess you already figured that out, unfortunately I haven't messed around yet with making custom templates or copies. I believe you go to the templates menu, hit the New button, add a database template, and choose one of the presets, the listing one I suppose.

I dont know if it is correct but what I did was to remove the following lines. This way I removed the avatar and the title aligned left.

<header class='ipsPhotoPanel ipsPhotoPanel_notPhone ipsPhotoPanel_small ipsSpacer_bottom'>
		{template="userPhoto" app="core" params="$record->author()" group="global"}

and the tag closing below

</header>

By the way, I have also removed the header from the page that displays Show All Categories, Add new article etc.

They are at Database Templates - Category Articles - Index .

I suggest you make a copy of the template and keep the default untouched.

What I have done and willing to do is ;

To change to author , category and date line . I believe better to have only " Author | Date "  and keep it always below the picture. Currently if the text is not long enough it is displayed right to the picture as highlighted in yellow

Then I will try to put a thick frame to seperate the news from each other ( if I can :D )

Ekran AlıntısıIPS4.JPG

What is the best way to make changes in template, so that the changes won't be lost after software updates to a new version?

I know that if you want to make changes to css style, we can make it in custom.css, but how can we make changes in the template, so that these changes are not lost after upgrading?

What is the best way for such changes in the template?

What is the best way to make changes in template, so that the changes won't be lost after software updates to a new version?

I know that if you want to make changes to css style, we can make it in custom.css, but how can we make changes in the template, so that these changes are not lost after upgrading?

What is the best way for such changes in the template?

​That is default functionality..... generally speaking you should try to avoid modifying the html with anything but a hook, however if you must, your templates in your custom themes that have been customized will not be updated by the software.

I am having difficulty in 3 parts and will be happy if you can assist.

1.  "record_publish_date" seems to give only the date and month like ( 27 April )  How can I to get full date and time ?  ( like  27.04.2015 20:00 . I know It depends on formatting , I only need the variable to give full date and time )
  2. I could not find how / where to change the size of the record_image ?
  3. I tried to put the author, category and date below the article so that whatever the text size , it would be below the record_image but I think I can only do that If I have a fixed height of the division "cCmsCategoryFeaturedEntry" and keep the record_image's accordingly. Can I have a fixed height of "cCmsCategoryFeaturedEntry" and align  "ipsType_light ipsType_reset" to left bottom of  "cCmsCategoryFeaturedEntry" ?

For the image size, I think you can define that in the Database Settings, Options tab, at the bottom were you actually enable the setting to use the image.

For the other 2 things... for the date I have no idea, and for the author line, the "problem" is that the image is floating to the left, so the other stuff will always be by its side if there's room. I don't know, you could indeed trying setting a fixed height for the preview text section of the article, but I'm not sure how that would work in all scenarios.

Hi @-FP , The record_image size is big enough for my need but is displayed smaller. In 3.4.7 within the article template the size was adjustable. Here I could not find how to do that.

I hope there is a variable for the date . I believe there should be :D

For the frame height I am aware it is within the CSS but I dont know in which CSS files they are . Any idea ?

Archived