Custom BBCodes gone after upgrade to 4.0.1?

ossipetz

Hallo

I need to know how to deal with custom BBCodes created in 3.4.7 which seem to be gone in 4.0.1.

I've seen I can customize the editor and add buttons but that seems a bit broken at the moment. And I wonder what happens if moderators edit posts that contain old custom BBCodes.

There are 2-3 crucial BBCodes in my community that - once broken - mainly messes everything up (example: foreign fonts forum)

I remember from a blog post about the editor one could still use bbcode. But that seems not to be true for custom bbcode. It was mentioned there will be a hook to rebuild that functionality? Where can I find that?

Thanks!

And I wonder what happens if moderators edit posts that contain old custom BBCodes.

There are 2-3 crucial BBCodes in my community that - once broken - mainly messes everything up (example: foreign fonts forum)

​The idea is, that every bb-code gets converted to the respective html code. So when you edit a post, there is just the html. The bb-code support doesn’t matter, because there is no bb-code in that message anymore. 

Same for the custom buttons. They behave like the old bb-codes, but what is saved is the html. 

*gna*

3% of my users can code HTML. And when using an editor even I don't want to.

That idea sounds like "let's ease development" and not like "lets enable normal people to not have to deal with internal formatting"

I've filed an issue because custom toolbar buttons are broken somehow. That might work well enough to forget about bbCode.

*gna*

3% of my users can code HTML. And when using an editor even I don't want to.​

What has that to do with anything? 

If anything there is LESS coding now, because you don’t even “code” bb-codes anymore. It’s all just buttons, auto embedding and full WYSIWYG in the editor. 

old posts with custom BBCode have been converted to HTML. That is what it has to do with it.

I agree having a cool WYSIWYG editor that renders stuff the way it will look is the best way. But currently some old custom elements render has html and not as editable block like quotes if you like: 

I can edit this later as a quote. (edited)

I don't need to know HTML to edit that quote above later on.

So I now need to write a CKEditor plugin for what used to be custom BBCodes? 

old posts with custom BBCode have been converted to HTML. That is what it has to do with it.

Yes, but that happens automatically. No one needs to code that, so it’s irrelevant that your users can’t code. 

So I now need to write a CKEditor plugin for what used to be custom BBCodes? 

​No, the Add Button function is meant for things that would have been a custom bb-code in 3.4. The CKeditor plugin is then created automatically for you. 

​The idea is, that every bb-code gets converted to the respective html code. So when you edit a post, there is just the html. The bb-code support doesn’t matter, because there is no bb-code in that message anymore. 

Same for the custom buttons. They behave like the old bb-codes, but what is saved is the html. 

​Custom buttons won't let us choose who can use them and who can not. So how much you twist it, it can't be compared.

​Custom buttons won't let us choose who can use them and who can not. So how much you twist it, it can't be compared.

​1. You are wrong: Each button comes with permission settings which let you choose member groups and the areas where the button is available. Check the facts, before making unsubstantiated claims. 

Screen_Shot_2015-04-21_at_13.39.39.thumb

2. I didn’t say that bb-codes and the 4.0 custom button are the same thing. If I explain how it works, but you don’t like how it works, don’t say I “twist” things. That’s another unsubstantiated claim and not funny.  

well the buttons have permissions so you can enable/disable them for groups.

I haven't seen an option which buttons are available when writing PMs or comments in a gallery either. But that's a bit of a different topic? Could you open a new thread for that? Buuuut at least now I don't really need that. My users are free to mess around so to say. If spoilers make sense in gallery comments? Well :tongue: - but thats something different.

The custom buttons to almost the job. But the older bbcodes where still there and visible. Right now after editing the user need to guess where that formatting starts and stops. I'll try to tweak the editor skin to get there. Hang on :-)

​1. You are wrong: Each button comes with permission settings which let you choose member groups and the areas where the button is available. Check the facts, before making unsubstantiated claims. 

Screen_Shot_2015-04-21_at_13.39.39.thumb

2. I didn’t say that bb-codes and the 4.0 custom button are the same thing. If I explain how it works, but you don’t like how it works, don’t say I “twist” things. That’s another unsubstantiated claim and not funny.  

​to make the button appear, but anyone can easily type [\img] tag wherever they want and it'll work from my knowledge :)

even though i disabled the button, button is one thing and bbcode is another thing ;) 

Custom BBcode was a neat feature, but CKeditor custom button option is simply put, horrible.

Basically what I need is a button with at least two options.

But there is just one option. Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Custom BBcode was a neat feature, but CKeditor custom button option is simply put, horrible.

Basically what I need is a button with at least two options.​

As far as I know, you couldn’t have several options with 3.4 custom bb-codes either. So, how has it become “horrible” now?

In IPB3 the popup had two fields (example)

In IPB4 you only have one field

as the 'content' has to be highlighted prior to hitting the button. It probably wouldn't an issue, however it often doesn't work (pressing the button does nothing). That's why having the option to manipulate 'content' is so important.

​Which as a result means that nothing has changed, hasn’t it? One content element, one option. 

Elements are the same, but {content} behavior is unpredictable, that's why I'm asking if there is a possibility to add second option field to have better control of the output. I have not came here to compare IPB3 to IPB4.

*hum hum*

Well there may be some tweaking left to do for the editor and custom formats. I could almost get to the capabilities I had with the custom BBcodes. The new approach is ok. But some details prevent that I get it working.

Crucial to me:

• custom CSS code - I can add that to the theme but the editor does not recognize it. There seems to be no custom.css for the editor? 
    I can add that to the theme but the theme is randomly re-created and changes get lost
  • the button could have some toggle option to behave the same way as the bold or italic button. So one can see what formats are applied. At least for inline blocks.
  • the allowed CSS classes for the editor need to be configured. don't know if that can be combined with custom CSS code for added buttons. but there is some potential for misconfigurations if allowed CSS classes and button config are completely separate.

For me the editor part is broken (due to the re-generation of the files in "applications/core/interface/ckeditor/ckeditor/skins/ips") - the custom formats work once the post is saved but the editor should look exactly like the post. And that's currently a bit cumbersome?

I have a little bit of a different question about the toolbar buttons...

Since it converts to HTML, does the member have to have the right to post in HTML for it to work?

I ask because I button I created my other admin and I can get to work, but member's can't. I even logged in as a member and couldn't get it to work. The only thing I see is that Admin's have the right to post in HTML. 

Any thoughts???

Permissions.thumb.PNG.75201c327e1cc12f64

• 1 month later...

Having a feature that would allow extra options is something I would like.  If the future is about customization, then there should be an ability to customize things how I want.  With that said, I am getting used to the editor and while I like the direction, I feel there are improvements that can be made.

I think the phrase "convert to HTML" is confusing people. While it is technically true, the user never sees it. There is no need for anyone to know or use HTML when posting.

I think a better way to say it is that BBCode is no longer necessary as all formatting is handled by CKEditor.

If you had a custom BBCode in 3.x, to replicate its functionality you have three options:

1. Find an existing CKEditor plugin that does the same thing
  2. Create a simple plugin using the built-in custom button function in the ACP
  3. If the ACP function is too limited, write a CKEditor plugin from scratch or pay someone to do it for you

I would wager that options 1 and 2 would satisfy the vast majority of use cases.

• 4 months later...

Guys.

This all is great... but how do I convert old BB-codes I had in posts on 3.4x to HTML at least? Or how to batch fix them, or replace to some other?

It's crucial - I have upgraded my board well, but posts look and feel is damaged, because I see now old bb-codes, which haven't been recognized  by 4.0 at all and haven't been converted to native HTML.

For example, I had cutom spoiler tag with title like:

[ spolier='Spoiler title' ] text here [ /spoiler ]

You may just imagine how it looks like now, after upgrade...

How to deal with that?

• 2 months later...

My forum has tons of soundcloud tags (it was converted from phpbb3).

Because they have stopped using flash I need to edit the original code for what the bbcode used or every single soundcloud track on my music forum says 'Please visit soundcloud to listen to this'

How can I edit the bbcode that was ported over from phpbb3 to fix old posts using soundcloud bbcode tags?

19 hours ago, cualupe said:

How can I edit the bbcode that was ported over from phpbb3 to fix old posts using soundcloud bbcode tags?

Short answer: you can’t. The embed code is now just a block of HTML saved as part of the post. It’s not created dynamically anymore (as with BB code and media tags) and therefore there is no way to change it dynamically for all posts anymore. 
You would have to use MySQL queries to find and replace the code directly in the post table. 

Archived