Theme updates (code changes)

ehren.

Any update? it seems that 4.0.5 won't be fixing this issue, what a shame :sad:

​4.0.5 is a major change for the theme system as it deals with file storage locations and display paths. That being said it will improve many issues in the system, but as in all major changes there may be some bugs to iron out. Which is the reason that IPS is focusing on bug fixes in 4.0.6 and above.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​The preview topic for 4.0.6 will be updated once the changes are implemented.

​so, will the theme issues be fixed so our favorite theme developer can finally release hes theme or will we still wait on fixes even after 4.0.6??????????????

please answer.. @Charles

http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/certain-theme-resources-not-importing-r5482/

http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/theme-settings-not-working-on-frontend-after-dm-disable-r5096/

this wait on important bugs like this start going on  my nerve 

• Management

You know... you guys could have done this yourselves all along :)

We provide dev tools for this. You could have just run a diff in your own editors. But we are happy to write a fancy system for you so you can just click.

We provide dev tools for this. You could have just run a diff in your own editors. But we are happy to write a fancy system for you so you can just click.

On the contrary, a staff member could have just replied weeks ago and told us this was possible. ;) ​The lack of documentation or replies has left many designers like myself in the dark. This feature was in 3.x and was vital after every upgrade, so it makes complete sense to include it by default in 4.x - honestly, I'm surprised it was neglected for such an extended period.

Not all designers use DM (I've been avoiding it due to the bugs which plague it), so accessing those files and doing it ourselves - assuming our editors support change logs, which mine doesn't - isn't efficient, nor ideal.

With that said, I'm grateful for the solution which has been provided, and I'm sure my customers will be too.

Do you know of any software that can generate a report as comprehensive as that? I use Kaleidoscope for Mac which is one of the most popular tools available and even that compares one file at a time (AFAIK).

• Management

On the contrary, a staff member could have just replied weeks ago and told us this was possible. ;) ​The lack of documentation or replies has left many designers like myself in the dark. This feature was in 3.x and was vital after every upgrade, so it makes complete sense to include it by default in 4.x - honestly, I'm surprised it was neglected for such an extended period.

Not all designers use DM (I've been avoiding it due to the bugs which plague it), so accessing those files and doing it ourselves - assuming our editors support change logs, which mine doesn't - isn't efficient, nor ideal.

With that said, I'm grateful for the solution which has been provided, and I'm sure my customers will be too.

Do you know of any software that can generate a report as comprehensive as that? I use Kaleidoscope for Mac which is one of the most popular tools available and even that compares one file at a time (AFAIK).

​Perhaps it's a disconnect from our development staff. They work with diff tools all day long so they must assume everyone can :)

No matter though - we have a nice tool now. It's hooked up with our version control system so it's automated. When we make a release it will instantly show up there.

It's not so much that we can't but more about efficiency. We had these tools in the 3 series and now with a completely new framework we don't (or didn't :) ). Having diff reports at our fingertips makes our work much faster - one less thing for us to do, or trudge through. Doubly so with all the changes and revisions happening early and often with these initial releases.

​Perhaps it's a disconnect from our development staff. They work with diff tools all day long so they must assume everyone can :)

No matter though - we have a nice tool now. It's hooked up with our version control system so it's automated. When we make a release it will instantly show up there.

​Thanks to Charles and staff. 

running-pic.thumb.png.30311d7f06064f4669

Another bug insert media

• Management

@ehren. I'm working through your bug list. The tabs not working is actually a bit of confusion. Tab keys are only a-z0-9 and then made lowercase. So you're actually using "word_Word" in the language pack, but the actual tab key ends up as "wordword" hence it doesn't seem to match.

I've just allowed underscores though, but they have to be lowercase to ensure there are no duplicate but "different" keys.

• Management

​Thanks to Charles and staff. 

running-pic.thumb.png.30311d7f06064f4669

Another bug insert media

​If you are seeing this on your suite too, delete the file: /applications/core/extensions/core/EditorMedia/Attachments.php
You'll notice there's "Attachments.php" and "Attachment.php". Attachments.php can be removed.

​I use FileMerge which comes with Xcode (right click Xcode > Show Package Contents > Contents > Applications).

I've never used Kaleidoscope but considering how much everyone raves about it (and it's a paid-for app, FileMerge is free from Apple) I'm very surprised to hear it can't do folders.

But yeah, as Charles says, to us the thought was "well surely they just throw the developer files in a diff tool?" - in 3.x you couldn't do that because it was all in heredocs in a PHP class, but with 4.0 it isn't, so we assumed a dedicated diff tool wasn't necessary. But oh well, we have one now :) 

Archived