Theme updates (code changes)

ehren.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm under the impression with every release you need to revert and re-edit the HTML templates as there is no way of seeing a diff or knowing what templates were changed in a release. unless you're using designer mod and a Git/SVN repo or something?

I'm under the impression with every release you need to revert and re-edit the HTML templates as there is no way of seeing a diff or knowing what templates were changed in a release. unless you're using designer mod and a Git/SVN repo or something?

​Nope, there's currently an issue which prevents us from using version control if enabling/disabling designers mode (which is obviously required to perform a core update).

They should provide a report almost ever other forum software maker does. After each release there should be a change log so that designers can know what to update/change. I find it strange that no official staff member has at least made a comment about it. At least an acknowledgement or something. Hope you guys get some sort or response soon @ehren. @Tom Christian and others.

I know this is not going to be received well with the power designers, but to the journeyman designers there is one way to look for

differences.  Use Winmerge or the ios equivalent, and copy the template code to one side and revert the template to base code.

Then add that code to the other site and compare. You can then move your edits to the new code , paste it back to the board and same.

Yes for @ehren., @Tom Christian and the other power designers this is not a viable fix, but for basic work this is a good alternate.

I have several custom themes on my site and they are not getting messed up with the upgrades. The new themes are not reliant on images like the old themes (3.X) I don't think themes will ever be as intricate as they were because of this.

I have several custom themes on my site and they are not getting messed up with the upgrades. The new themes are not reliant on images like the old themes (3.X) I don't think themes will ever be as intricate as they were because of this.

​When you say not as intricate, what do you mean exactly?

complicated or detailed

​I hope that isn't true :/ I figured that is true but i'd hate to see rather simple themes and nothing unique. That's a problem I had with a certain software that starts with X ;) lol the themes are so simple and literally the default theme with a color change and a google imaged background/icons and a Premium($30 or more) price tag and little innovation.

So I hope this isn't true for IPB4

​I hope that isn't true :/ I figured that is true but i'd hate to see rather simple themes and nothing unique. That's a problem I had with a certain software that starts with X ;) lol the themes are so simple and literally the default theme with a color change and a google imaged background/icons and a Premium($30 or more) price tag and little innovation.

So I hope this isn't true for IPB4

​The major designers I hope will continue with their brand of themes. I still make some of my old theme based themes and some customs, that

require template changes, but I can make my changes fairly fast.

​What do you mean? Of course that's still possible. It's just HTML & CSS.

This is all still possible? Why wouldn't it be? 

​No, they were not HTML and CSS, they were (are) made up of LOTS of images.

Example

frosty.png

​And? Nothing has changed. If a theme designer wants to use images they still can. Nothing in 4.0 prevents the use of images for any of that stuff.

I have not seen anything even close to the detailed theme I used as an example, even from the designer that did that one. I even asked Sherri if she thought it would be more of a challenge with 4.0. She said yes. If you want to see the difference, look at Sherri's Pro Red for 3.4 and then her Pro Red for 4.0

I have not seen anything even close to the detailed theme I used as an example, even from the designer that did that one. I even asked Sherri if she thought it would be more of a challenge with 4.0. She said yes. If you want to see the difference, look at Sherri's Pro Red for 3.4 and then her Pro Red for 4.0

​Perhaps because hardly any themes are available yet? Give it time :).

There is nothing on that screenshot at all that couldn't be achieved with ease in IPS4. It's basic CSS.

​Many of the "pro" designers have been unable to release themes due to the bugs with the theme system - detailed themes will come soon once the bugs have been fixed. Any 3.x theme can easily be ported to 4.x, regardless of the images or complexity.. Themes still use HTML/css, there's no limitation on what can or can't be done.

I hope you guys are right.

​I mean, there are going to be variable differences in the way the themes are coded, but, in reality, IP4 will allow for much more than IP3 did.  I have already seen some awesome IP4 custom theme jobs done that I don't think I had ever seen on IP3.

However, (although there are many good theme designers out there), I have every bit of confidence @ehren.'s themes will still be top notch all the way around.  We are like vultures over at ipsfocus.com waiting for the release of the updated themes :)

Archived