Community

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I created Invision Power Board Site Gallery  IPB website design gallery showcasing the best IPB websites, templates and resources. Simple filter and regular refresh screenshot.  See this URL

http://gagadaily.com

My movie site: http://fcine.net/  work in progress

Posted Images

Just updated to @aXen | 1s2k Fluent Design theme and it's a real treasure trove of options and so easy to customise.  I haven't played with some of the features yet as I have been busy making changes; almost every change I made was done with CSS in the custom.css file to get the effect I was looking for, but it was a breeze doing so.

The changes for the Darkside were a little fiddlier, but it was easy once the CSS logic was understood. I can highly recommend this theme to anyone and I'm sure that @aXen | 1s2k will making some more tweaks and feature additions as the theme moves forward.

https://moviebuffs.org

Many thanks @aXen | 1s2k for making this amazing theme.

Edited by Davyc
spelling lol
1 hour ago, Davyc said:

Just updated to @aXen | 1s2k Fluent Design theme and it's a real treasure trove of options and so easy to customise.  I haven't played with some of the features yet as I have been busy making changes; almost every change I made was done with CSS in the custom.css file to get the effect I was looking for, but it was a breeze doing so.

The changes for the Darkside were a little fiddlier, but it was easy once the CSS logic was understood. I can highly recommend this theme to anyone and I'm sure that @aXen | 1s2k will making some more tweaks and feature additions as the theme moves forward.

Looks good!  I like the new theme a lot!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, whitetigergrowl said:

Amazing how many forums shown in this thread are no longer active. Even from just a few years ago.

I have a forum since 2002, running IPB since the beginning, 18 straight years running.

https://forumusica.com, it's a community of portuguese musicians. It became, and still is, the largest musician community online in the country.

It has been quite a journey, with many bumps on the road, including members leaving in disagreement with the rules and creating competing foruns (most of them already died after some time) and flame wars between musicians and bands. There was a funny story when in 2007 someone created a precisely equal forum! In 2013 the forum was 1 month down due to "admin team problems". Quite a journey, i would said.

It had a boom from 2005 till 2009, then facebook started killing everything around and it suffered a lot. Since 2018 facebook privacy crisis it had gradually rebounded. The forum was always geared towards rock musicians, unfortunately now hip hop is trending, so we don't get as many new members as we used to get in the past. I could "switch" the focus hip hop to get more users, but then i would loose the rock user niche. As i am also geared towards rock, is also a personal preference. In 2013 i've decided to use IP Pages (IP Content) at the time and create some features to allow people to sell stuff and find other musicians. That helped greatly the forum to survive, because it provided additional value to users.

You need a lot of passion to get a "pure" forum running, an interested community and... keep your feet on the ground, because this is a very challenging

• From 1000 people that visit your forum, 100 will get registered, 
  • From these 100, 10 will post
  • From these 10, 1 will become regular poster for years
  • People's interests change with time and after some time they will just quit posting

This means means you should focus on acquiring users, because it allows continuous renewal of the user base.

Besides that: 

• People seldom care about creating content for others, the great majority just want to satisfy their own interests. Everyone is like that, including myself. It's just human nature and you can't change human nature.
  • If you have something valuable to offer them, they will get it and go away. They will keep visiting if you continuously offer value to them. The question for forum longevity is how you get them giving back value to you and other users.

Nowadays i am planning another community, yet 18 years later, it will surely be very different, because things changed a lot... content is now the king, as visuals are. Presenting an empty forum expecting that people join it and create content is just not realistic anymore.

Edited by xtech
On 8/8/2020 at 2:39 AM, Davyc said:

On a forum now powered by Xenforo less than a month later. lol

3 hours ago, whitetigergrowl said:

Yes, sadly I had to go down this route for numerous reasons as I have another project in mind for my IPS license which is better suited to my needs.  I will be using the Fluent Design theme for this new project. Xenforo apps for the movies side are more in line with what I want from the site, so it was down to which platform would best serve my needs; IPS was way too powerful for such a simple site 🙂

Rebooted this old forum that had died down a year ago. It's a community aimed at freelancers and entrepreneurs alike, operating as a discussion board as well as a marketplace. Hopefully this time around, we'll grow into something self-sustainable.

Feel free to check us out at: https://hypelance.com/

And of course, if all you experienced board owners have feedback, that would be greatly appreciated.

On 8/19/2020 at 10:20 PM, xtech said:

I have a forum since 2002, running IPB since the beginning, 18 straight years running.

https://forumusica.com, it's a community of portuguese musicians. It became, and still is, the largest musician community online in the country.

It has been quite a journey, with many bumps on the road, including members leaving in disagreement with the rules and creating competing foruns (most of them already died after some time) and flame wars between musicians and bands. There was a funny story when in 2007 someone created a precisely equal forum! In 2013 the forum was 1 month down due to "admin team problems". Quite a journey, i would said.

It had a boom from 2005 till 2009, then facebook started killing everything around and it suffered a lot. Since 2018 facebook privacy crisis it had gradually rebounded. The forum was always geared towards rock musicians, unfortunately now hip hop is trending, so we don't get as many new members as we used to get in the past. I could "switch" the focus hip hop to get more users, but then i would loose the rock user niche. As i am also geared towards rock, is also a personal preference. In 2013 i've decided to use IP Pages (IP Content) at the time and create some features to allow people to sell stuff and find other musicians. That helped greatly the forum to survive, because it provided additional value to users.

You need a lot of passion to get a "pure" forum running, an interested community and... keep your feet on the ground, because this is a very challenging

• From 1000 people that visit your forum, 100 will get registered, 
  • From these 100, 10 will post
  • From these 10, 1 will become regular poster for years
  • People's interests change with time and after some time they will just quit posting

This means means you should focus on acquiring users, because it allows continuous renewal of the user base.

Besides that: 

• People seldom care about creating content for others, the great majority just want to satisfy their own interests. Everyone is like that, including myself. It's just human nature and you can't change human nature.
  • If you have something valuable to offer them, they will get it and go away. They will keep visiting if you continuously offer value to them. The question for forum longevity is how you get them giving back value to you and other users.

Nowadays i am planning another community, yet 18 years later, it will surely be very different, because things changed a lot... content is now the king, as visuals are. Presenting an empty forum expecting that people join it and create content is just not realistic anymore.

Yes, l felt that way, after being a moderator with a forum for 2 years, (a troll on there sent in a ticket) that blackballed me for closing down posts if they became too controversial, eventhough recently since they sold out to a company that is using it as a tax rite off, (using s...t traffic) they are currently tying to save it, (more like destroying it with bad decisions). So l have created a new forum, where l don't have to deal with moderators closing down my long standing threads, for silly reasons, or mods on the forum l mentioned, strangling what life the forum had left. So l created a safe forum, where things could be discussed, and Hard evidence was accepted.

On 8/8/2020 at 6:39 PM, Davyc said:

And your forum looks very nice! :biggrin:

Here is mine.

https://www.archimedes-forum.com/

:cool:

On 8/8/2020 at 3:39 AM, Davyc said:

This isn't an IB forum. Did you switch in the last 3 weeks or ?

On 8/25/2020 at 9:33 PM, whitetigergrowl said:

Davyc

Yes, sadly I had to go down this route for numerous reasons as I have another project in mind for my IPS license which is better suited to my needs.  I will be using the Fluent Design theme for this new project. Xenforo apps for the movies side are more in line with what I want from the site, so it was down to which platform would best serve my needs; IPS was way too powerful for such a simple site 🙂

Edited by Noble~
7 hours ago, Graphite said:

This isn't an IB forum. Did you switch in the last 3 weeks or ?

There were issues with the IPS addons that were used (the resolution of which was far too into the future) and XF opened up a route without those issues.  I've also had an idea for a site in mind for several years that has never been given the chance to mature, until now.  My IPS license will be a good fit for this idea because of the features IPS offers above other vendors.  Whether this idea will be any good or not will only be determined over time, but this is a long-haul project that will fit nicely into my impending retirement.

I do enjoy the creation of something, probably more than the final execution of running with that creation - the forum marketplace in terms of interest is not buoyant with more people using SM, but hey ho we try and if what we try fails we try again.  To fail before you even try is dismal, but to try and fail is an achievement of sorts, to try and succeed in this day and age is a miracle lol.

12 hours ago, Duken said:

Finally, upgraded to 4.5.1 with some plugins that where 4.5 available. It worked great!

https://www.duken.nl/

But Google does not like the the insights. It gives a 24 on mobile. Because of the adsense.

Anyway, i like 4.5!

thumbs-up-1006172.thumb.png.0a5aecc3415c602f81ec04d3bcae5b1b.png

Congrats on a successful upgrade. Thanks for sharing the link to your forum as well.

Started a new project with IPB this past week. It's one that's been through various iterations of platforms but I believe with IPB it can actually be the start of a great community. 

https://thecollective.network/

The Collective Network is a place for those looking for safe for work, family friendly content can find or share ideas with each other. Offering a podcast for the geek parents, family friendly gaming and much more. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, Runar said:

I love the design, @bchan009! But for me (Safari 13 on macOS 10.15) the background image flashes on every page load. Are you aware of this?

Hi @Runar,

Unfortunately there isn't a way around this issue.

My site has both light and dark themes, as well as a default 'base theme'.  Whenever a theme is selected it will load the 'base' theme first (which has a white background) and then apply the appropriate dark or light theme on top of it. 

The flicker of white you see is the base theme being loaded before being covered up by the selected theme and its related background.

I don't think there is really a way around this issue -- the only thing I can do is maybe set the 'base' theme to have a black background so that it flashes black instead of white...

Usually the problem isn't that noticeable because the site becomes cached and your browser will apply the background almost instantly, but on slow page loads it becomes more of an issue.

Thanks for the feedback! :smile:

Edited by bchan009
  • 2 weeks later...