Community

theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

21 hours ago, Sonya* said:

Social media sites die as well: Google Wave, Buzz, Plus, MyPlace, Yahoo Groups. This is normal. Nobody knows how many pure content websites were created a year or two ago and are offline today. Forums are like any other site. They come and they go. I do not see anything crucial to the forum here. Go to any old site directories and look them through. Many of the sites will be dead. Why? Social media, Google? Or just life? 😉

Again it's about the approach. Yahoo Groups was horrible. As was Google Plus. Never heard of MyPlace (unless you meant Myspace) or Google Wave or Buzz. 

A lot of it is interest. Many forum owners feel the weight of seemingly having to supply most of the content. Many members want that content but don't want to supply much of any themselves. And many don't want to pay to support it either. At some point people start asking if the time and effort is worth the lack of support and discussion.  

So while life sometimes gets in the way, the reality is forums for many aren't as appealing as they once were. I blame part of that on the forum community generally going with the, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." mentality. But it is broke, and it does need fixing. Poor business decisions have crippled VBulletin and its popularity. It flat out sucks now on almost every level and is not what it used to be. Xenforo admitted not long ago they aren't as far along on their software or the next version as they would like either. IPB is one of the only fairly consistent ones. But even they have their limitations, though 4.5 looks much better. 

You simply can't rely on forum creators to be around forever either. Or to be able to keep up with changing times or to know how to change to what could work. Forums serve a purpose but it seems what that purpose is even seems a bit lost amongst the forum community trying to adapt to the rise and popularity of social media. 

7 hours ago, Davyc said:

I believe that the art of conversation has diminished substantially since the inception of Social Media.  All people seem to want to do is share a photo or video and reap the rewards for doing so with likes, etc.  The comments seen on Social Media are banal, trite and completely inconsequential.  "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast" and 2 million likes flood in.  "Night, night all" and 600,000 likes appear out of nowhere.  "This is an image of my plant" and 500,000 likes come flooding in.

Where is the conversation?  Where is the engagement of a number of people debating a topic?  It's gone down the tube because people have been dumbed down to accept the banalities of Social Media - it's quick, instant puerile gratification that deludes people into thinking hundred or thousands of people they have never met (and will probably never meet) actually like them and call them friend.

At least in a forum you have the space and facilities to give a reasoned and thoughtful response to a question or opinion and thereafter a possible deep and meaningful (as well as rewarding) conversation.  It affords people to form more worthwhile bonds that could progress into 'real' friendships.  Forums have been left behind for minutia contacts without substance and those who have never used a forum (and probably never will) will never know just how amazing they can be.

8 hours ago, EmpireKicking said:

My site is dead as flip, it is really dead. Yet 5 years it's still online and running. So that's something right 😛

@EmpireKicking At least it's something. lol. 

@Davyc You are correct. To an extent. But I think it's more than that. People that usually do that stuff usually do so on the go. 

"I just finished brushing my teeth. Now it's off to the job interview!"

"I'm going to bed. Hope I don't have anymore nightmares." 

They may be trivial comments or statuses, but they also generate interest for others on the go or that simply don't have time to leave paragraphs worth of response. Some simply don't have the time to have deep conversations. Others hate having them. 

"What job are you interviewing at? Good luck!"

"I had nightmares for years then started taking chloroform. It works wonders!" 

Or they post an image of something they find of interest then watch others make quick comments about it. Sometimes those images do generate discussions. But that being said, for many it's also easier and cheaper to spread out across Instagram for images, Facebook for exposure, and Twitter for quick updates and such, then cross promoting them as many are on all 3 for example. And to also utilize Tik Tok as well. It tends to be financially more rewarding for some too. 

I think forums have lost viability for multiple reasons, though they still have some purpose. Not long ago on a forum I ran someone that hadn't posted before popped on and made a quick comment about how forums are dead and social media is where to be. So yeah. While some social media sites come and go, it's highly unlikely Instagram, Youtube, Twitter, or Facebook will be anytime soon. And those are ones people utilize most. Unless they start to become too consumer unfriendly. 

So looking back at the dead forums in this thread even recently, it makes one wonder what went wrong for some to close that people seemed to be praising. Cost? Lack of activity or interest? Something personal? It's that kind of stuff that can turn people off forums to go to general more stable social media outlets like Facebook. It's a tough situation the whole way around. When your social media page is more busy than the forum, then one has to ask why and what can be done to change that.

On 4/29/2020 at 7:41 AM, Mark Round said:

Just revamped the default theme

http://dtweb.space/

Probably shouldn't steal copyrighted graphics from other websites, especially easily recognizable ones.

12 hours ago, whitetigergrowl said:

They may be trivial comments or statuses, but they also generate interest for others on the go or that simply don't have time to leave paragraphs worth of response. Some simply don't have the time to have deep conversations. Others hate having them. 

I would say to this, that Social Media has made it easier for people to appear dumb in that they cannot indulge in deep discussions, and that begs the question why?  You mentioned time, people have as much time as they did before Social Media came into being, so discounting the time issue it brings me back to people's lack of ability to have decent immersive discussions; even people's spelling and grammar have deteriorated, which exacerbates the dumbing down element as people more readily accept bad grammar and spelling.

Here on this forum we are having an immersive discussion - imagine attempting to convey these thoughts across Social Media so that anyone looking in can read them; it just wouldn't nor could happen.  I reckon that this is the one advantage over Social Media that people are just not getting - it's not because they are stupid or dumb (though some may be lol) rather it is that Social Media has made them to appear so by diluting their ability to communicate in a cognitive manner.

The other issue is mobile phones and their ability to provide an easy access means that Social Media can capitalise upon due to the nature of providing a platform for small comments. Forums cannot fully realise such a platform because of their increase complexity.  The humble desktop is a relic in the majority of households and this is the platform where forums excel.

It is a multiple causality that forums are relegated to a low level by the vast majority of people, and that is something to mourn because it means an end to meaningful discourse between people you could potentially gain something from.  I find that such a shame because people are losing the ability to communicate with other people other than on the lowest of levels.

17 hours ago, ahc said:

Probably shouldn't steal copyrighted graphics from other websites, especially easily recognizable ones.

ok pal thanks fror the tip