Community

theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

On 3/29/2020 at 9:21 PM, interfx said:

Switched over our long time vBulletin site to IPB, and re-starting the forum after a few years of neglect.

https://www.christianmom.com/

Still adding new features into the site.  Any suggestions welcome. 

Welcome to Invision Community!

Some things to help you get immediately started:

• Menu Manager - Feel free to remove any links in the menu that you're not actively using.  IPS defaults to several menu links that most communities may not need or care about
  • Social Sign-Ins - You can enable social sign-ins using Facebook, Twitter, Google or other services for faster registration
  • Forums - Have you thought about consolidating some of your forums, especially those with low activity?  Celebrating fellowship works best with others, so compressing activity into fewer but more active forums can help you to that goal.   

Help Guides:  https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/welcome/about-invision-community-r7/

Company News / Feature Releases:  https://invisioncommunity.com/news/

Release Notes:  https://invisioncommunity.com/release-notes/

On 4/11/2020 at 4:45 PM, Patrick Ewing said:

Gaming forum I been working on, Im looking for people to help me with it. Ideas, feedback anything can help.

https://www.thegamerzcentral.com/

Great start to your forum.

I have one big question for you, since gaming forums are plentiful: what makes your forum unique, better, or different?  

Posted (edited)

Great Question, We are brand new, As well as Me as a Owner and Admin. I'm aware there's an Abundance of gaming forums. Our community is different our members, We're pretty laid back.  We're working on a Store merch, Slowly, Other things are tucked away and bugs are getting ironed out. Problem is I'm very new and hesitant to bring things out. I don't have enough members yet to agree or disagree what to have. Were just a very cool gaming community. We do reviews tech reviews, game reviews, movie reviews, Im more based on what my community wants not what I want, all I want is a thriving community. @Joel R

Edited by Patrick Ewing

On 4/22/2020 at 7:57 AM, Joel R said:

Social Sign-Ins - You can enable social sign-ins using Facebook, Twitter, Google or other services for faster registration

but can you? Is this still possible with Facebook? I haven't tried the other 2 yet.

3 hours ago, Mark Round said:

Just revamped the default theme

http://dtweb.space/

I think the buttons on your editor need to stand out more. I guess black would blend in with the rest of the editor though. I like how you revamped the default theme with the dark mode.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.44.17 AM.png

3 hours ago, Mark Round said:

Just revamped the default theme

http://dtweb.space/

39 minutes ago, JoshB84 said:

I think the buttons on your editor need to stand out more. I guess black would blend in with the rest of the editor though. I like how you revamped the default theme with the dark mode.

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 10.44.17 AM.png

And I'd remove the shadow off the forum icons, looks very out of place and doesn't match with anything else.

I wish I could code.... :sad:

11 minutes ago, Dean_ said:

And I'd remove the shadow off the forum icons, looks very out of place and doesn't match with anything else.

I wish I could code.... :sad:

Yeah I wasn’t sure about the shadow either . 

2 hours ago, Mercury5 said:

I'm contemplating upgrading but not made up my mind yet. 

If you're using the old IBArcade don't as it doesn't exist yet for 4.x.x

23 hours ago, Dean_ said:

If you're using the old IBArcade don't as it doesn't exist yet for 4.x.x

Yeah, I'm using IBProArcade. There's a newly updated one for 4x. The guys have done a wonderful job to get it where it is for 4x.

3 hours ago, Mercury5 said:

Yeah, I'm using IBProArcade. There's a newly updated one for 4x. The guys have done a wonderful job to get it where it is for 4x.

Yeah I've been keeping up to date with it.

https://noobtubers.com/

Noobtubers was created for content creators in mind as well as gamers. I created it so that experienced content creators can help newcomers out with questions (rather than relying on a youtube reply on a video that could go unanswered from a how to video). Gamers can signup as well and look for new content creators within the style of games they play,as well as connect with content creators and other gamers.

Take a look around and let me know what you think,any feedback would be appreciated!

41 minutes ago, whitetigergrowl said:

Amazing how many forums shown in this thread are no longer active. Even from just a few years ago.

I noticed that too. Not sure what to think of that. 

3 hours ago, whitetigergrowl said:

Amazing how many forums shown in this thread are no longer active. Even from just a few years ago.

I see it all the time, they open and they close. Most don't last long. It's not easy trying to keep forums alive. Even here on IPB it has died down allot. USed to see so much addons and support from the devs. Not much now. 

3 hours ago, SC36DC said:

That's life. There are 200 million active sites in the world. Some of them were created years ago and some of them a day ago. Some of them have died (even Google Wave, Google Buzz and Google Plus) and some of them have grown. Like any offline business as well. Nothing specific to the web. 🙂

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SC36DC said:

Part of it I think is the influence of social media. The other part is that maybe some were forums with rather niche content, or were already in a flooded market of similar forums. Also, it may have been hard to advertise the forums to gain much interest. 

I also think some were hobbyist or were looking to make money but couldn't find the right footing and interest. The thing is you can offer a ton of content, but if it's content also easily able to be found elsewhere especially on social media, you likely will be overlooked. That's why I feel it's important for forums to evolve beyond what they have been. They still serve a purpose. But it's a matter of trying to find that purpose and gain that footing that is lost. That's also why I feel forums need to be and feel more personal and not just a place to go to make posts then move on and to be so impersonal.

Part of the reason social media tends to do good is because of that personal level of attachment and to get in and out. Forums tend to not have that as much. When you visit a forum you'll see a decent skin, maybe some content, and a bunch of threads and posts that all feel rather impersonal. There isn't much of an 'in and out' to forums. There are multiple steps just to make a thread or post. With social media, those steps are generally stripped down. Want to make a post or status? It's all right there in front of you. Responding to a status is as simple as responding and hitting enter. Want to make a status? Make one then hit enter. 

While there are some benefits to forums, I sometimes think even forum owners and creators struggle to find that benefit beyond there maybe being deeper discussion. Because as the forums that have went MIA also suggest, you can't rely on them sticking around either. Plus many forum owners also have social media accounts in hopes of driving attention to the forums. Problem is from what I usually see, they stay on social media and don't translate as much to the forum. The thing is, why is no one asking why? Why is no one asking what can be done with forums to better translate them to a wider group of people? Or are forums just set to always be taking up the rear in terms of attention by people?

It's sad to see so many potentially good forums gone in such a short amount of time.

Edited by whitetigergrowl

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, whitetigergrowl said:

Part of it I think is the influence of social media.

Social media sites die as well: Google Wave, Buzz, Plus, MyPlace, Yahoo Groups. This is normal. Nobody knows how many pure content websites were created a year or two ago and are offline today. Forums are like any other site. They come and they go. I do not see anything crucial to the forum here. Go to any old site directories and look them through. Many of the sites will be dead. Why? Social media, Google? Or just life? 😉

Edited by Sonya*

I believe that the art of conversation has diminished substantially since the inception of Social Media.  All people seem to want to do is share a photo or video and reap the rewards for doing so with likes, etc.  The comments seen on Social Media are banal, trite and completely inconsequential.  "I had bacon and eggs for breakfast" and 2 million likes flood in.  "Night, night all" and 600,000 likes appear out of nowhere.  "This is an image of my plant" and 500,000 likes come flooding in.

Where is the conversation?  Where is the engagement of a number of people debating a topic?  It's gone down the tube because people have been dumbed down to accept the banalities of Social Media - it's quick, instant puerile gratification that deludes people into thinking hundred or thousands of people they have never met (and will probably never meet) actually like them and call them friend.

At least in a forum you have the space and facilities to give a reasoned and thoughtful response to a question or opinion and thereafter a possible deep and meaningful (as well as rewarding) conversation.  It affords people to form more worthwhile bonds that could progress into 'real' friendships.  Forums have been left behind for minutia contacts without substance and those who have never used a forum (and probably never will) will never know just how amazing they can be.