Community

theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

Have made numerous changes to the site since the last update.  In order to make things really easy for people to post I've removed the immediate visible forum list and instead have use the menu manager to create direct links to the individual forums.  I feel this method eliminates the confusion of have so many forums to choose from in a list and reduces the number of clicks to get people directly to where they want to be.  I've also named the majority of them channels (example shown below):

image.png.945b76b539391b528cb81cb178533024.png

I added another menu for specific issues rather than general issues (as shown below):

image.png.b31ba5254cabb236159a7e7469dfe60f.png

It's really interesting what can be done using the menu manager in this way - give it a try and let me know what you think (BTW this would probably be no good if you use subforums unless you want to tier the menu items, which can be done quite easily).

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

:biggrin:

20 minutes ago, Davyc said:

Have made numerous changes to the site since the last update. 

It confused me that there are some main menu entries which go to the actual area, while others (Our community / Specific Issues) just go back to the homepage when clicked for no apparent reason. 

2 hours ago, opentype said:

It confused me that there are some main menu entries which go to the actual area, while others (Our community / Specific Issues) just go back to the homepage when clicked for no apparent reason

The problem lies in the menu manager requiring a valid html link - I prefer not to link to the forum list, which can be seen if you click the links in the breadcrumb list, so I had to make a choice as to where a click on the actual button would take someone; the idea is to use the dropdown list as opposed to clicking the button. There is an addon in the marketplace that would eliminate this, but as the stock menu manager stands it won't allow a styled drop list on hover - it can be a drop list but it needs to be clicked to make it appear; my aim was to reduce the number of clicks to get to a specific place - this is as near as I can get without an addon. Perhaps in a future version of the stock menu manager a hover will be available as well as a click.

I hope that explains the reasoning behind my actions. I may get the addon to remove that click, but it depends on funds as always lol.

Update:  I checked out the app and it does the same, so I've reverted the menus back to menu-manager dropdowns to help prevent confusion (until a better way can be achieved to allow hover menu open rather than click menu open)

Edited by Davyc

On 5/31/2019 at 4:50 PM, Davyc said:

Have made numerous changes to the site since the last update.  In order to make things really easy for people to post I've removed the immediate visible forum list and instead have use the menu manager to create direct links to the individual forums.  I feel this method eliminates the confusion of have so many forums to choose from in a list and reduces the number of clicks to get people directly to where they want to be.  I've also named the majority of them channels (example shown below):

image.png.945b76b539391b528cb81cb178533024.png

I added another menu for specific issues rather than general issues (as shown below):

image.png.b31ba5254cabb236159a7e7469dfe60f.png

It's really interesting what can be done using the menu manager in this way - give it a try and let me know what you think (BTW this would probably be no good if you use subforums unless you want to tier the menu items, which can be done quite easily).

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

Just a thought,

for a forum called lonely people ,do you think that a dark dreary background with sad face bear greeting you is the right way to go? I would want to be a bit more warm and welcoming.Please don't take this the wrong way,this is just my thoughts.

lets put it in context,the bear with warming soothing colors and light bg is much better.up to you what you do.

ps

don't kill the bear!

Mark.

Edited by Mark Round

14 minutes ago, Mark Round said:

Just a thought,

for a forum called lonely people ,do you think that a dark dreary background with sad face bear greeting you is the right way to go? I would want to be a bit more warm and welcoming.Please don't take this the wrong way,this is just my thoughts.

Images, like art, is a subjective medium.  The bear sitting on its own is meant as a lighthearted (everyone loves teddy bears) means of depicting a very serious issue; to have something along the lines of what you are describing would diminish the seriousness of the issue.  The intention of the bear as it stands is to elicit the 'aww, poor bear' emotion from people.  But, as I said it's a subjective issue - and the bear will definitely not be killed off lol.

Loneliness is not to be trivialised nor underestimated, nor should it be made to look as though it is insignificant.  I appreciate your comments and understand where you are coming from; I've had many conversations on this subject and almost all have agreed that the bear is perfect as it is.  That doesn't mean that I am not open to further comments, but I have to weigh and balance them to achieve the best middle ground that can be achieved for such a serious issue.

I had even though of using your own Titanium theme (which I purchased) as a dark alternative, but then I thought that a dark theme would make the site look even more gloomy than the issue it attempts to highlight (great theme BTW and I may use it for another project that I have in mind).

I've also changed the menu system too - to avoid the possible confusion of clicking the menu button and it goes nowhere other than back to the home page; the menus now use the stock drop downs, which regrettably do not allow for hover dropdown, just click (shown below):

image.png.1a697d2424123821851e0c1e407d1620.png

On a final note, I will say that the site is a constant work in progress, always looking for more ways to make it easier for people to use and to add those features that actually do add to the overall experience rather than just being there for eye-candy purposes.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

thumbs_up99.png.f5120dbbbc3d3e3f9bf65e1cccebf043.png

Thanks Davyc,

I like the way your site is going and have seen it develop from the start as I monitor this thread closely.I can see the hard work that you have put into it and the comments I make are purely to help you as a critique  from a neutral perspective.Thankfully I have not fallen onto the bracket of lonely people but there is certainly a HUGE demand for services of this kind so for that you deserve some praise,not only for providing this service but continually trying to improve the service that you provide and the way that it is delivered.

2 hours ago, Mark Round said:

I like the way your site is going and have seen it develop from the start as I monitor this thread closely.I can see the hard work that you have put into it and the comments I make are purely to help you as a critique  from a neutral perspective.Thankfully I have not fallen onto the bracket of lonely people but there is certainly a HUGE demand for services of this kind so for that you deserve some praise,not only for providing this service but continually trying to improve the service that you provide and the way that it is delivered.

That is wonderful praise indeed and I thank you sir.  I've been wanting to do something worthwhile that would help people and this issue of loneliness is something close to my heart as I've experienced it first hand, and also I have witnessed it many times in people that I loved and associated with.  Until loneliness is truly experienced over a prolonged period of time, it can never really be fully understood.  So this is my way of paying it forward for the help that I received when I needed it and the IPS platform, along with all the third party developers, has made it very easy for me to achieve what is seen so far - there is still a long way to go and I have plans for the future that will become known when they happen and hopefully someone, somewhere, will find some solace and peace from what is there to help them.

I'm cutting close to 65 now, quite young in comparison to those I know in their 90's, and understand so much more than I ever did when I was young and daft - they say that wisdom comes with age (sometimes I would say lol) but you're never too old to learn and an old dog can quite often learn new tricks when the inspiration is there.

thumbs_up99.png.f5120dbbbc3d3e3f9bf65e1cccebf043.png

On 6/3/2019 at 10:53 AM, Mark Round said:

Alas the site has served its purpose and got the message out there.  However there are now a huge number of sites out there promoting the insidious disease that loneliness has become and our own Government (UK) has taken up the torch to illuminate this issue.  I ran the site for six months and plugged it to death (almost) on Twitter and the response was great at first, bu then, as usual, people started to drift.  There's only so much you can do to bring these kind of issues to people's attention, so Lonely People is now closed.

However, I am always wanting to do something to help others and as such I have a new site out now (just finished) which is something the lies close to my heart and I have seen it become less and less over the years, so I wanted to try and do something about it and so Band Boss was born.  https://bandboss.co.uk the idea being to bring the three basic elements together that helps keep music live and alive - local unsigned bands, venues who want to accommodate live bands and their fans.  It's a free promotion site for bands and venues and if the band fans want to come along and have some fun the site is open for them.

It's a bit (understatement lol) from Lonely People, but it's a service that I wish had been around when I was playing in a band.  It's not an easy road to travel, being in a band, trying to find places to play and come out on top after the event. So, hopefully this will be something that be useful to bands and venues (and the band fans).  I will be promoting it on Twitter, so hopefully there will be some takers, but in this business and day and age, who knows?  If it works and helps, fantastic, if it doesn't then I'll move on to something else; never give in.

https://bandboss.co.uk

Right now it's for bands and venues in the UK, but if it proves successful I may open it up to a more global audience.

Enjoy.

BTW: it uses @TAMAN theme Infraskew with a number of modifications I made myself.

Edited by Davyc

2 hours ago, Davyc said:

Alas the site has served its purpose and got the message out there.  However there are now a huge number of sites out there promoting the insidious disease that loneliness has become and our own Government (UK) has taken up the torch to illuminate this issue.  I ran the site for six months and plugged it to death (almost) on Twitter and the response was great at first, bu then, as usual, people started to drift.  There's only so much you can do to bring these kind of issues to people's attention, so Lonely People is now closed.

However, I am always wanting to do something to help others and as such I have a new site out now (just finished) which is something the lies close to my heart and I have seen it become less and less over the years, so I wanted to try and do something about it and so Band Boss was born.  https://bandboss.co.uk the idea being to bring the three basic elements together that helps keep music live and alive - local unsigned bands, venues who want to accommodate live bands and their fans.  It's a free promotion site for bands and venues and if the band fans want to come along and have some fun the site is open for them.

It's a bit (understatement lol) from Lonely People, but it's a service that I wish had been around when I was playing in a band.  It's not an easy road to travel, being in a band, trying to find places to play and come out on top after the event. So, hopefully this will be something that be useful to bands and venues (and the band fans).  I will be promoting it on Twitter, so hopefully there will be some takers, but in this business and day and age, who knows?  If it works and helps, fantastic, if it doesn't then I'll move on to something else; never give in.

https://bandboss.co.uk

Right now it's for bands and venues in the UK, but if it proves successful I may open it up to a more global audience.

Enjoy.

BTW: it uses @TAMAN theme Infraskew with a number of modifications I made myself.

is this a plugin?

1085289050_ScreenShot2019-07-06at17_23_43.thumb.png.2ce7ac955a50b087970767b2b5038403.png

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

is this a plugin?

For the price you get a lot of bang for your buck - you can set limits and also who can send stickies. Admins can also send global stickies so everyone can get an update as to what's going on, much better than the built in notices.

6 hours ago, Davyc said:

I like it 🙂 

btw, what are these little two creepy triangles in the bottom? 😄 

eab2637ac2fb3d615b541537427a2dd0.png

You can update the theme to fix it, because the theme does not have anything like this by default 🙂 

If your modifications are all in custom.css and theme settings then you don't need to worry about losing any of the customizations. unless, if you have made edits in the default IPS or Infraskew css/html then you will lose the edits 

18 minutes ago, TAMAN said:

I like it 🙂 

btw, what are these little two creepy triangles in the bottom? 😄 

eab2637ac2fb3d615b541537427a2dd0.png

You can update the theme to fix it, because the theme does not have anything like this by default 🙂 

If your modifications are all in custom.css and theme settings then you don't need to worry about losing any of the customizations. unless, if you have made edits in the default IPS or Infraskew css/html then you will lose the edits 

I actually have the same little triangles. Little confused about updating the theme because I have the latest. Looking for advice for this little nit pick.

https://www.christforums.com/

18 minutes ago, Christforums said:

I actually have the same little triangles. Little confused about updating the theme because I have the latest. Looking for advice for this little nit pick.

https://www.christforums.com/

Weird!

anyway, Sometimes i make changes in the theme without adding any version number. right now the theme does not have anything like this https://ipskit.com/index.php?/theme/&id=12

So try to download again and update your theme 🙂 

Edited by TAMAN

11 hours ago, TAMAN said:

btw, what are these little two creepy triangles in the bottom?

They are part of the theme lol  here's the code for them:

#ipsLayout_footer:before {
    left: 0;
    border-bottom: 7px solid #171719;
    border-left: 7px solid transparent;
}
#ipsLayout_footer:before, #ipsLayout_footer:after {
    position: absolute;
    content: "";
    top: -7px;
}

I'm not sure if they are meant to look like this, maybe they are noticeable because of some of the color changes I've made.

😉

1 hour ago, Davyc said:

They are part of the theme lol  here's the code for them:

border-bottom: 7px solid #171719;
}
#ipsLayout_footer:before, #ipsLayout_footer:after {
}

I'm not sure if they are meant to look like this, maybe they are noticeable because of some of the color changes I've made.

😉

mmm, No these codes does not appear on my side at lest not on the latest version in marketplace, so if you want to fix it i suggest you to download and use the latest version 🙂 

@TAMAN It's in the baseframework.css file:

#elCopyright #taCopyright{
	padding: 1px 5px;
	border: 1px solid {hextorgb="footer_text" opacity="0.20"};
	border-radius: 3px;
	opacity: 1;
}
#ipsLayout_footer:before,
#ipsLayout_footer:after {
}
  	border-bottom: 7px solid {theme="footer_crbackground"};
}
#ipsLayout_footer:after { 
	right: 0;
   	border-bottom: 7px solid {theme="footer_crbackground"};
    border-right: 7px solid transparent;
}

That is the latest version uploaded just now lol.

😉

@TAMAN BTW for some strange reason the images in your marketplace themes are not working - they show in the list of images, but when you click on them there is just the broken link image showing; may be a fault with the marketplace.

Edited by Davyc

2 hours ago, Davyc said:

That is the latest version uploaded just now lol.

That's weird 😬

It does not exist on the demo page https://ipskit.com

I will check it out tonight.

I probably have made a mistake with copy pasting because this little triangles are in a new theme I'm developing called "Gamozilla" and the codes should not be in base framework template lol

2 hours ago, Davyc said:

@TAMAN BTW for some strange reason the images in your marketplace themes are not working - they show in the list of images, but when you click on them there is just the broken link image showing; may be a fault with the marketplace. 

That was a bug in IPS marketplace and i need to re-upload the images all over again.

I'm too lazy tho 😅 but ipskit.com shows a live demo of each theme so everything should be good for now

45 minutes ago, TAMAN said:

That was a bug in IPS marketplace and i need to re-upload the images all over again.

I'm too lazy tho 😅 but ipskit.com shows a live demo of each theme so everything should be good for now

I know just how you feel lol