Community

theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

15 minutes ago, Meddysong said:

Oh, sure, I can do that 🙂 But you still have the question of "what does red mean? why green?" So that doesn't solve the problem of conveying things clearly.

No, it doesn't just shows a green bar, it looks like you can see in the provided link.

Oh, you mean have the text "easy", "difficult" etc showing too just on different backgrounds? Yes, that's easy to pull off. I'm not sure I want to add splashes of colour to the page though. I think providing the explanation about the star system seems a reasonable compromise.

22 minutes ago, simonle said:

Here's a new dashboard page I've made that will act as an index page for registered users (guests will see a new landing page which I'm currently working on). Pages is such a great tool!

1540351462_newredlysocialdashboardformembers.thumb.png.538aacccc6d45ca6496b029925c14037.png

That looks great! Are you creating those sections as blocks and then creating the page or just coding the page all together? If it’s an index page, basically showing blocks by user group to achieve this.

45 minutes ago, simonle said:

Here's a new dashboard page I've made that will act as an index page for registered users (guests will see a new landing page which I'm currently working on). Pages is such a great tool!

1540351462_newredlysocialdashboardformembers.thumb.png.538aacccc6d45ca6496b029925c14037.png

Landing page multilanguage feature too? I need that for 中西文社区

On 2/3/2019 at 2:29 PM, Meddysong said:

A new project using only Pages: https://uea.facila.org/ The site is set up to present short, easy-to-read articles for people who have started learning the language Esperanto.

Used to be taught over here in the UK, until the 1930's I think. It was currently shown and spoken in a BBC TV programme 'Back in time for School', I'd never heard of it before. But it was interesting as they went over a little history and got the kids to write and speak it in lesson.

I'm "over here in the UK" too and wrote the lesson that the teacher gave to the students in that class 🙂 The language is still being taught over here; I'll be teaching an advanced course in London on Saturday, whilst our headquarters in Staffordshire will be hosting weekend courses for beginners and post-beginners. And the wider community hit one million learners within two and a half years of launching the "Esperanto for English speakers" course on Duolingo in May 2015.

I'm pretty proud of the fact that a mainstream publisher (behind the Teach Yourself series, Michel Thomas series etc of language materials) put out a textbook for the language last year and that it happens to have been seen in High Street stores such as Waterstones and Foyles. And I suppose I should be proud ... I'm the author 🙂

7 hours ago, simonle said:

Looks good. How will it look on mobile?

7 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

That looks great! Are you creating those sections as blocks and then creating the page or just coding the page all together? If it’s an index page, basically showing blocks by user group to achieve this.

Thank you! I did code the page and used several blocks. But, as you said in your post, one could easily make this using only blocks though.

7 hours ago, kmk said:

Landing page multilanguage feature too? I need that for 中西文社区

Sorry no, the site is only in English.

7 hours ago, Gauravk said:

@simonle well done on your new page and site. Looks clean and promising. Good luck

Thank you! 😊

27 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

Looks good. How will it look on mobile?

Thanks! The blocks use the grid classes that are available in the IPS CSS framework, so they will just collapse when the page is viewed on mobile devices, see screenshot below.

redly-dashboard-phone.thumb.png.7dfbff2f10185aa9eb0ec6379fe1c88c.png

Updated Lonely People site which is almost ready to be launched out into the wild.  The site is active now and has been very much a work in progress for some time; I've learned that it takes time to realise a vision and I guess I'm just about about there - I have a few more little tweaks to make before giving it the big push.  The site is UK based, as am I lol, but the site is for anyone, anywhere in the world who suffers from loneliness whatever the cause.

The site uses one of @ehren. themes (Novus) and a number of addons from the marketplace thanks to   @batarjal @Adriano Faria @TheJackal84 @InvisionHQ @A Zayed for giving the site a little more pizazz; another few I have my eye on but I will now wait for 4.4 and see what addons are updated.

It's taken a long while and lot of experimentation to get where the site is today, but I'm pretty happy with the results.  The custom.css file is loaded with customisations, some of which took a lot of head scratching lol, it would probably stretch a distance if it were printed out and laid on the ground 😉

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

There are a lot of people I'd like to thank for their time, efforts, patience and support, but the list is a little too long for this topic; you know who you are and my appreciation and gratitude is unbounded.  

If you know of any groups of people who need catering for I'd be pleased to hear from you via PM.

Many thanks and I hope you enjoy.

Edited by Davyc
Forgot mentions

Since @Davyc was giving credit where it's due I figure I'll post my site. It is a gaming crew (guild) site for my Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption crew, so being that it is a highly niche site, non crew members really aren't active posters though they are welcome to join but we are not bothered either way. https://www.domesticbatterygaming.com

IPS Staff has been hugely helpful over the past few years with dumb stuff I ask them and it uses theme and add ons from @TAMAN, many many resources from @Adriano Faria along with @onlyME, @batarjal, @All Astronauts and @InvisionHQ

Why is it called Domestic Battery Gaming? I've caught alot of flak for the name over the years, the name derives from me and my gaming wife beating each other with golf clubs and ball bats in Grand Theft Auto Online, never in real life cuz she would cut me in my sleep. 

@JustHatched nice site and well laid out.  I don't personally see any dire connotations in the site name, it's quite catchy.  And I do think it's a good idea to give mentions to the people and developers that have helped us to make our sites the way they are with the features we needed to add something extra to the mix for our users.  Great kudos to them all, whether we use their apps and plugins or not.

😉 

5 minutes ago, Duken said:

Upgrade to 4.4 successful! Updated the plugins and the theme. 4.4 runs great so far on

Do you intend to have the default IPS theme as an available option?

9 hours ago, Tom S. said:

Do you intend to have the default IPS theme as an available option?

Yes and no, it's there as option. It was not intended but I don't see the issue is making it available. 🙂

Further update to https://lonelypeople.co.uk

Using @TAMAN excellent and very versatile Infraskew theme and @opentype SuperBlocks addon along with @batarjal addons for thread starters.  There was also a fair number of CSS changes to tweak things a little and some template changes to again tweak things a little.

The site has always been in a state of 'Work In Progress' but I believe we are about at the end of that road and almost everything is now in place - having said that, there are still one or two little additions to add that I have in mind, I guess you could say 'Watch this space'.  The colour used for section heads throughout was derived from research into tranquil colours and this particular shade was appearing regularly at the top of the tree.  The forum icons and section head colours may change in the near future as I further research colours.

I would recommend to anyone to research colours and not just stick with what catches your own eye - well worth doing.

Oh! As an aside, it was decided to make to emoji's (or emoticons if you're old fashioned like me lol) quite large which in some way will hopefully persuade members not to go overboard with them with lines of them stretching from one side of the page to the other lol.

Enjoy!

come_to_daddy1.png.f4dccbf3aebc8d62f08889ceb902b168.png