Community

[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

1 minute ago, Ramsesx said:

Nice site, your quick links from advanced footer lead all, except store, to the forum. May I ask why you don't embed all of your great videos into your site?

Thanks!  You can embed videos into the forum?  How?  I was just using a third party plugin that brings in your YouTube channel.

- Steve

52 minutes ago, Guitar Gathering said:

Thanks!  You can embed videos into the forum?  How?  I was just using a third party plugin that brings in your YouTube channel.

- Steve

Also I'd recommend making your forum icons smaller, if you was to check using the default theme, they take up the whole screen. You shouldn't need them any bigger than 50x50 really, and even then you can use TinyPNG to make the files even smaller.

2 hours ago, Ramsesx said:

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  Also, do you know how to get the background to be transparent like I mentioned in my previous post? (I doubt the original poster MgtMadness will see my question since they haven't logged on since September.)

Thanks.

Steve

21 minutes ago, Guitar Gathering said:

Thanks.  I'll check it out.  Also, do you know how to get the background to be transparent like I mentioned in my previous post? (I doubt the original poster MgtMadness will see my question since they haven't logged on since September.)

Thanks.

Steve

With some simple CSS:

background: rgba(16, 17, 29, 0.812);

Here's a good start: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_image_transparency.asp

My site is called Poetry Magnum Opus The most important part of the site is the Forums of which the Member Poetry and Member Poetry (overflow) forums are most popular. These are the two forums where most activity is concentrated, where members can showcase and discuss their poems. There are other forums for discussing literary and general/misc. topics. 

One of my key members has devoted considerable time and effort into constructing a comprehensive Reference Section for various poetic forms. Only this member who has painstakingly built this Reference Section is allowed to post within its forums. I have received communications from university professors who have told me they refer their students to the Reference Section, and from time to time I see guest IP addresses that resolve to various colleges/universities. The member who built the Reference Section told me that she has found her Reference Section work copied verbatim into Wikipedia usually with small acknowledgements at the bottom crediting my site.

Another forum I included in the Poetry category is called the Member Archive. Each member who wants to is allowed to create one topic within the Member Archive to serve as an index to his works on the site. Part of my vision for my site is for the site to serve as a means for members to promote themselves and their work. A member's index can include whichever works he wants. That way when the member wants to share his works with someone (a publisher or whomever), all he has to do is pass along the one link to his Member Archive topic. He doesn't have to tell someone to go to the site and use search to find his works. He might not even want an interested party to find every work, only those works included in his own carefully curated index. And no one has to make Member Archive topic. Not everyone even has to share the same vision I do insofar as posting works on the site or Member Archive topics themselves are concerned. This is merely the vision I have for my own Member Archive topic, and I want all my members to have this added value. There's no pressure; the members can do as much or as little as they choose. They can make any of their topics as basic or elaborate as they want.

I also have a "Reading" section. It contains a couple of forums ("A Poem I Read Today" and "Favorite Poets") where we discuss the greats. This is where we discuss Frost, Yeats, etc. and it's one of few areas where one must be logged in to read and participate. Here we're sharing various works for the purposes of discussion, not publishing them for non-members and copyright attorneys on the prowl. 

My site is small, and it's exclusive in the sense that one has to ask to join. Instructions for joining are in an Announcement visible to guests. This isn't because anyone gets denied -- all who have a genuine interest in poetry and writing are welcome to join -- rather it's so I don't have to deal with spammers. Prospective members who follow the instructions and write to me are admitted. Spammers are unlikely to do that, and so far I haven't had anyone who hasn't been legit ask to join. I don't like ads, and I'm pleased that I haven't had to resort to ads to fund my community.

I really love IPS, and I'm excited by its elegant community software, the inclusion of quality features, and all the reliability and value delivered year after year. I have zero love for fb -- See? I won't even spell out the name! -- and I'm not even on it. Forums/communities are where content is created. I have one member who will sometimes send me a private message saying he wrote a particular poem he shared in my community for a particular contest. He'll include a link to the contest, and he'll ask me if I think his poem is good enough for the contest. When I check out the link, I'll usually find that poetry, in that site/publication, is an afterthought stashed somewhere between Home & Garden and Lifestyle. I can reasonably conclude that the contest will probably be judged by someone who has no clue about poetry and that the winner will probably be a friend who also happens to mention the local hardware store (e.g. if the contest calls for a poem about the locale where the publication is based). I'll answer this member the same way I always do: "Is the contest good enough for your poem?" I, myself, only publish my own work on my own site -- on my IPS forum.  :wink: