Community

theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

16 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Since I apparently have AdBlock running, I found your site quite offputting …

I actually like that and wish adblock users would hit those barriers all the time. The offer of the website owner is simple: get free content and service in exchange for ad views (which make the free content and services possible to begin with). It’s just an offer. Take it or leave it. The website owner doesn’t owe you anything, if you try to use technical tricks to get to the services and content without giving something in return. 
I always find it funny and ironic how adblock users try to turn this around and act “offended”. It’s like saying “I’m never paying for my subway rides. But now you put in a barrier with a ticket check? How dare you don’t let me ride without paying anymore!” 

6 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Since I apparently have AdBlock running, I found your site quite offputting - I couldn't even access a single page because of that.  Not something that encourages visitors.

I kind of have to agree. I've tested multiple ways of doing it over 2 years in 6 month blocks. I find the best method all around is to show a message like on my site. But still allow content. No traffic loss + revenue increase = win/win.

That said i come from a side of the fence before running a forum of extreme privacy and adblock was one of those methods.... Used it a lot :) now i turn it off if i like a sites content just to be nice.

----

Also i thought i would mention i've took words said on the last page to heart hehe and tweaked some more, scrounged a tiny bit of an improvement on speed by switching to svg's where i could. Going to clean up css now too.

Edited by Netherlord

17 hours ago, Adlago said:

And why? Because all developers create cumbersome products?
This is the most popular web test.
Or should put a link from others web servers test to see how clumsily moving site ... and who is a comic?

PageSpeed is a tool for developers, not end-users. It provides general suggestions and recommendations on things you can do that might help improve your website performance.

It is not an absolute metric. Just because it has "speed" in its name does not mean that having a lower PageSpeed score means your website is inherently slow.

Edited by Makoto

22 minutes ago, Makoto said:

PageSpeed is a tool for developers, not end-users. It provides general suggestions and recommendations on things you can do that might help improve your website performance.

It is not an absolute metric. Just because it has "speed" in its name does not mean that having a lower PageSpeed score means your website is inherently slow.

I agree that "speed" is conditionally name. But we must agree that the render-blocking loading CSS and JS is an indicator of bad software product performance. In this sense, this web test shows just that. Whether it says 'bad speed' or 'slow software' - will mean the same thing.

14 minutes ago, Adlago said:

But we must agree that the render-blocking loading CSS and JS is an indicator of bad software product performance.

No, I'm afraid we don't.

Having spent a good deal of time working with and developing on the PageSpeed platform from its very early stages myself, I can confidently say from experience that there are many times in which attempting to "resolve" this issue can cause more problems than it could ever hope to eliminate.

In some instances it can actually make perceptual performance worse to the end user, and how fast a user perceives your site to be is much more important than how "fast" PageSpeed says it is.

These were never intended to be absolute rules. They are only guidelines and suggestions for developers. They are not always accurate, and should not always be followed.

Edited by Makoto

15 minutes ago, Makoto said:

No, I'm afraid we don't.

Having spent a good deal of time working with and developing on the PageSpeed platform from its very early stages myself, I can confidently say from experience that there are many times in which attempting to "resolve" this issue can cause more problems than it could ever hope to eliminate.

In some instances it can actually make perceptual performance worse to the end user, and how fast a user perceives your site to be is much more important than how "fast" PageSpeed says it is.

These were never intended to be absolute rules. They are only guidelines and suggestions for developers. They are not always accurate, and should not always be followed.

I agree that when applied to a decision to eliminate render-blocking - when the decision is compromise - yes, creates some problems.
But that just means that there must be a way solution to the problem.
I found a solution to my site - and this solution works perfectly. Now analyze for total solution - regardless of which site  ips platform will ...

Adlago, i see you are a speed benchmark die-hard fan. But in my view, speed (not even speaking about synthetic speed tests) are just a part of what should be a good site. Speed, content quality and quantity, aesthetics, interaction quality, marketing and seo are other important aspects we should consider.

I don't want to spend a lot of time tweaking some small speed things. If you have a dynamic website, with users uploading pictures (which happen to not have the dimension attributes - kind of useless nowadays or have the best compression), etc, speed necessarily suffers. To my best knowledge, the image compressor used by IPS is not that great so the tests will always tell my images could be reduced. The difference in speed could be 0.2s at most - is it worth spending my time tweaking all these images, for example, when most of my users have broadband connections of 24 Mbit/s and up? 

Should i sacrifice content to enhance speed by 0.2s? Should i sacrifice aesthethics? There should, of course, be an acceptable compromise between all factors.

Don't take this too personal: your site ranks great in pagespeed, but it doesn't appeal to me. The images lack quality (too much compression?) the blue background is too strong on the eyes, your images are too "white label" and lack quality. The fonts are weird, and guess what - it ranks poorly at woorank.com - only 51.3.

Speed isn't everything, maybe you should consider spending more time on the other factors to achive a more balanced site.

Edited by xtech

@xtechYes I know this.
To create the optimal critical CSS, I now use the default theme IPS with a little color.
Soon I'll change the theme. Already I managed to create the right code - I've tested various 'hard' themes - my code works perfectly. No render- blocking CSS and JS in themes  which I test. Also - no problems at all functions. This is a task that I decided;)

Edited by Adlago

But you're doing all of this for essentially naught @Adlago.

To demonstrate this, here is your forum index's raw page loading time compared with its PageSpeed score:
Inkedchrome_2017-03-11_18-21-14_LI.thumb.jpg.63d5aa8ae83bac38f0522b7236735d68.jpg

Now, here is mine, with compression and other optimizations disabled to provide an even more extreme scenario:
Inkedchrome_2017-03-11_18-19-29_LI.thumb.jpg.73dbf61a423d627b9908e946f35a9848.jpg

You're wasting your time obsessing over all of this. It doesn't provide nearly as much of a benefit as you think it does.

Yes, you made your site a whole 0.22 seconds faster by stripping down the template to a bare minimum, applying heavy lossy compression to images, and other things that cause a detriment to your website's overall appearance; and this was even with all of my servers optimizations disabled.

With them enabled, my page load time was around ~0.6-0.8 seconds the last time I benchmarked, even without a supposedly perfect PageSpeed score.

What we are trying to tell you, is that you put way too much emphasis on artificial scores like this and not enough emphasis on actual content and appearance. There are more important things than a PageSpeed score you can use for bragging rights.

Edited by Makoto

Everyone has the right to appoint its own important things for your site.
I'm looking for solutions to write. And I found it.
What is now - is another code in my analysis.

16 hours ago, liquidfractal said:

Since I apparently have AdBlock running, I found your site quite offputting - I couldn't even access a single page because of that.  Not something that encourages visitors.

I'm not large enough to survive on membership for $ yet.... in fact, are there many subscription based forums that are "long term" successful? And just how large would they have to be? Just curious.

On 3/12/2017 at 11:18 AM, Michael Krewson said:

I'm not large enough to survive on membership for $ yet.... in fact, are there many subscription based forums that are "long term" successful? And just how large would they have to be? Just curious.

Fair enough.  And I honestly don't know - I guess it would depend on how stable your niche market is and how strong your client/visitor base is, and how one is able to adapt to suit the needs of one's audience.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, opentype said:

I actually like that and wish adblock users would hit those barriers all the time. The offer of the website owner is simple: get free content and service in exchange for ad views (which make the free content and services possible to begin with). It’s just an offer. Take it or leave it. The website owner doesn’t owe you anything, if you try to use technical tricks to get to the services and content without giving something in return. 
I always find it funny and ironic how adblock users try to turn this around and act “offended”. It’s like saying “I’m never paying for my subway rides. But now you put in a barrier with a ticket check? How dare you don’t let me ride without paying anymore!” 

That's fair enough - but I would be more inclined to do that for websites that explained that to me instead of just blocking me out.

To wit: in fact, I'm not so sure having an attitude that, as a website owner, you "don't owe the user anything" is so productive.  More often than not you have to give potential users something for nothing in order to get them to consider your site at all.  I think that as website owners we do owe potential users a certain amount of honesty and respect, which can be had in this case by, perhaps, leaving some content open while politely saying that this site runs on ads and as a result, most of the site is structured in such a way that ads aren't blocked.  That gets my respect; not blocking someone entirely, which will lead me to go elsewhere to the multitude of other sites that offer what you do (PS I'm not saying that Michael is being intentionally rude or disrespectful with his site).

Edited by liquidfractal

On 11/03/2017 at 5:48 PM, liquidfractal said:

On 11/03/2017 at 6:21 PM, opentype said:

It would be wrong to assume every person visiting is benefiting from your content or services and in-turn owes you something just for gazing their eyes over a page before they've decided that anything you have to offer is even relevant to what they are looking for.

You can't compare paying to ride a subway with a page view, I don't know how you even thought that was a comparison.

Regardless of your opinion on that matter of adblocking, it takes minimal effort to render your anti-adblock useless, just 1 line really.

www.theworldnewsmedia.org##script:contains($.blockUI)

Rather than rejecting a visitor the moment they hit your site and asking them to jump a hoop (there is multiple legitimate reasons why they could be blocking ads) you should be trying to give them reasons to stay longer than 3 seconds.

Edited by Cyrem

2 hours ago, Cyrem said:

(there is multiple legitimate reasons why they could be blocking ads)

So you say – I am sure we can debate any of them. I wouldn’t matter much though. You ignored my main point: The website owner makes the offer and sets the conditions. Its his site, his money, his risk to run that thing. He doesn’t owe you anything and if he doesn’t want to serve ad-block users directly (for understandable reasons), he doesn’t have to. He doesn’t need to give them “reasons to stay” as you claim nor beg them to be so kind and turn the ad-blocker off. 

Edited by opentype

I use adblockers primarily because of the prominence of malvertising on the internet.

I specifically opt out of U-Block Origin's ad tracking filters and other things that impact legitimate services like Google AdSense, however.

Adblockers are not something to be shunned. They're a legitimate response to malvertising, phishing, clickbait, and other trash that plagues the internet. If anything, it forces a higher standard of advertising.

It's his right to try and block users who use adblocking extensions, just like it's our right to use those extensions. I immediately closed out of the tab when I saw that page. I don't care enough about your site to disable my adblock filter for it. If you think your site has enough value that people will do that, power to you. But I don't see aggressive tactics like that working in either parties favor.

Load speed over 1 sec is slow :grin::p

I have not used much time on chasing scores in optimization tests. My site is optimized for

1. user experience
2. real life load time

Server optimizations and only SSD for storage is good for site loading and handling traffic. 

speed3.thumb.JPG.4b9d3d0ea4540aab0fd2be1d3b1d3c1a.JPG

speed0.JPG

Edited by Dennis_87