Invision Community
theblackelk

Show us your IPB 4 sites!

On 9/3/2015, 6:28:29, Thomas. said:

:)

https://tacticalsquare.com (not using IP.Pages)

Would someone please tell me how this site has accomplished their home layout?  He says he isn't using IP Pages.  Is it a plug-in?  I have been trying to create something similar, and this is the first time I've seen something close to what I want.

I like how his 'comments' links are redirected to the thread.

5 hours ago, ctrlbrk said:

Would someone please tell me how this site has accomplished their home layout?  He says he isn't using IP Pages.  Is it a plug-in?  I have been trying to create something similar, and this is the first time I've seen something close to what I want.

I like how his 'comments' links are redirected to the thread.

I'm using my own developed framework, which essentially acts like a bridge between different platforms. This allows me to pull content from any system (which it supports) through a single API and render it by passing it either to IPS' template system or the build-in render engine. ;)

If you only want to create a custom 'homepage' without using IP.Pages, you could just pull your main template through the IPS API and pass your own content variables to it.

Edited by Thomas.

33 minutes ago, Thomas. said:

I'm using my own developed framework, which essentially acts like a bridge between different platforms.

Nicely done.  If you have this for sale or are interested in selling it, send me a PM.  I don't need to pull from an external system, I am trying to pull only from forum content where I control the content selectively that will appear on the home page --- but your concept is the best example I've seen so far of what I need.

8 hours ago, Hitori Bocchi said:

I have fast internet and I fell asleep while loading your page the first time. You shouldn't use 2,5 MB big graphics in your logo...

Interesting.  This is the first time I came across RADStudios as a theme developer -- I hope they continue to represent themselves in the IPS community.

On 9/19/2015, 6:38:34, Hitori Bocchi said:

I have fast internet and I fell asleep while loading your page the first time. You shouldn't use 2,5 MB big graphics in your logo...

I guess fast is relative because I have DSL and it loaded fine for me.

Edited by WOFman

51 minutes ago, WOFman said:

Clear your cache and reload your page. It is not relative if you make people load 11MB+ the first time they load your page (4 pictures 2,5 MB each alone in the logo). It is not in your own personal interest.

Edited by Hitori Bocchi

1 hour ago, WOFman said:

He is right though, you should compress the image down. :) 

Slow loading pages are not only a pain for those with slow connections, particularly if on a mobile connection, but it can also affect your page rank as Google places a degree of emphasis on the end user experience - speed being a factor. I have a logo image that's 84kb in size and, to be quite honest, that file size is at least 50% too large.

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Similarly, we run our site on one of @ehren.'s skins.

ProjectGuitar.com - site was founded in 2002 as a free community and educational resource for guitar builders of all experience levels. It's a fairly standard configuration in all fairness as we're better guitar builders than code monkeys.

Looks nice, but found it very hard to read with the transparent threads / posts background.  Maybe if you blurred the background image it would be easier to read?

Finally! I am able to post this link to my updated site! Just in time for 4.1, I suspect! ;)

http://clausnet.com/

I still have a few tweaks to make here and there and I'm still struggling with where everything is - despite having a dev site up for a couple of months to learn. But it is well worth it. So far, my members are pretty happy with the new platform. And they are the worst when it comes to change - believe me.

I now have the full IPS suite and plan on taking advantage of Commerce, Pages, and Downloads. Commerce and Downloads are not turned on yet. I still need to figure out a couple of things still, not to mention I didn't want to completely overload my members. haha!

A BIG thank you to @Robert Simons ! The man does not sleep. Nor does he ever quit! He put in a lot of long and (sometimes frustrating) hours to get the site upgraded an online.