Raffle System

watchhead

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

This is an old topic but worth mentioning

Using PayPal to distribute "Raffle Tickets" will get your account locked and require you to sign an affidavit to get it unlocked.

Raffle tickets are against the TOS of PayPal.

How do they discover this: If you have "Raffle" in the product item you will be caught, if you don't, you're likely to get away with it but don't quote me on that.

Source: Had a fundraiser for the National Breast Cancer Foundation here in Australia. Yes PayPal locked funds that were intended for donating towards cancer research. Cause that's how they roll.......

Oh yeah. Definitely. You have to be super careful if you are collecting money to do this.

I was thinking more of a prize thing for giving away stuff like shirts ect...

Or something that lets you pick random people who shared a post, posted in a thread, in a member group ect....

• 1 year later...

I started to develop a Raffle System. One thing is for sure: Commerce will be required and PayPal won't be used as a payment gateway.

Reason: users from the US are not allowed to run a raffle where you have to pay for the tickets unless you are registered as a non-profit organization, or have special authorization to do so. Same applies to the EU and other countries, and that's why Paypal is shutting accounts down. PayPal can also take actions against the accounts of people using the app, which could affect you financially. So, PayPal won't be an option.

Read more: https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/371882-hq-raffle-system/?do=findComment&comment=2516463

if you do one, be sure to include the ability for no cost raffles.  I'm looking to implement a raffle system on my site if it takes off (and probably even if it doesn't) but I'm not planning on charging for the raffle entries - the costs will be carried out of my pocket.  Ideally would be the ability to allow entries based upon certain criteria being met - like X number of posts in a YY day period, or a combo of posts/content in a specified time range.  Even better would be if the posts/content were in specific areas (to get around BS posts in an off-topic area).

• 4 weeks later...
On 7 December 2016 at 10:55 AM, Adriano Faria said:

I started to develop a Raffle System. One thing is for sure: Commerce will be required and PayPal won't be used as a payment gateway.

Reason: users from the US are not allowed to run a raffle where you have to pay for the tickets unless you are registered as a non-profit organization, or have special authorization to do so. Same applies to the EU and other countries, and that's why Paypal is shutting accounts down. PayPal can also take actions against the accounts of people using the app, which could affect you financially. So, PayPal won't be an option.

Read more: https://invisionpower.com/forums/topic/371882-hq-raffle-system/?do=findComment&comment=2516463

Thank you so much! This news has made my Christmas! I have been patiently waiting for a new raffle system for IP Board 4. :) 

Any ideas how long the development process will take? Are we looking at 6 months? Or a year or longer?

8 hours ago, Michael R said:

So this won't work with PayPal. Correct?

No.

On 07/12/2016 at 8:55 AM, Adriano Faria said:

okay, each member that wishes to enter chooses a number between 0 and 1000(3 digit number) from a drop down box so that it can only be chosen once. The number and member are then placed in a table row or similar. At the end of the drawing, the winner is chosen by a closest match w/o going over. Option to have a predetermined number or not. Could use a lottery 3 number for any given date in any given state to determine - no need for a number option.

We need a place to enter a few photographs of what is up for the drawing and a description area and same for the basic rules.

I realize this could be posted in but gets tricky when you are dealing with a large number of entries. We use the giveaway to promote members keeping their dues up to date so they can enter the drawing.

Looking for something to automate this process vs what we are doing now.

Archived