Using Font Awesome Icons on Forum

mynsc

I've been trying to enable the use of Font Awesome Icons for members, through a button in the Editor. It used to work perfectly in 3.4.x but not having any luck now. What changed?

What I've been doing is I've added

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

to Templates -> core -> front -> global -> globalTemplate

and then added a new button for the editor. The button is Inline and should insert

<i class="fa {option}"></i>

I've tried disabling using an option and just using {content} directly... but then the changes do not save and revert back to the {option} variant. No idea what that's about.

I've added all classes to "Allowed CSS classes" just to be sure. Any idea what's preventing the icons from showing up?

Surely I don't have to go and buy CKEditor plugins for something that used to be so simple in 3.4.x?

Thanks!

P.S. As a small side-question, when on the Editor page, there's the mention that "Even if a button is not on the toolbar, the functionality may still be available using BBCode". Where and how does one set the bbcode tag?

What I've been doing is I've added

<link rel="stylesheet" href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.3.0/css/font-awesome.min.css">

to Templates -> core -> front -> global -> globalTemplate

​4.0 already comes with FontAwesome. You don’t need to load it in the template!

You might load it in the editor though. That is an iFrame which doesn’t inherit anything from the site templates. 

​4.0 already comes with FontAwesome. You don’t need to load it in the template!

You might load it in the editor though. That is an iFrame which doesn’t inherit anything from the site templates. 

​Thanks for the quick reply!

Any suggestions on how I can load it in the editor manually?

For the record, I've installed http://ckeditor.com/addon/fontawesome and it does not display the icons either. It shows me the widget to choose them and a place-holder box appears in the editor, but that's it. Nothing shows up when I publish.

The editor/button combo doesn't seem to allow you to enter html tags that don't have something inside them. Which is a bit of a problem in this case. 

Try this:

<i class="fa {option}">{content}</i>

Then in the editor type "hello", select the entire word then click your button. That works for me. But what you really need is for this to work without having to select something first. So I'd bug it.

If you have the option enabled that allows html source editing then you can write it directly with no problem. So it seems it's the button part that isn't working.

P.S. As a small side-question, when on the Editor page, there's the mention that "Even if a button is not on the toolbar, the functionality may still be available using BBCode". Where and how does one set the bbcode tag?

​You can only do it through writing plugins - there are a couple of functions that can be hooked into in Text\Parser.

Archived