Articles - Name of The Person Who Created The Article

craigf136

OK, so it may be a bit of a unsual suggestion but it's something we have encountered. We have applied for press passes for E3, which was fine when we actually used cutenews (yes I know) for articles, the persons real name was used.

However, with articles in content, the display name will be used. When our article writers request E3 passes, they will be refused because the articles are not in their real names. How can this be corrected? Is it something IPS will consider allowing article writers to use? I would love to see this as an option rather than a 3rd party plugin.

Appreciate that, but ideally, I don't want a text field or similar where anything could be written in it. What I'm looking for, is basically Display Name but Real Name field - when posting articles. Which would then supply the option of whether to use Display Name or Real Name when posting articles (which also links to that users account).

The custom field I had considered but it doesn't feel right.

The point of an arbitrary display name is that the real name can be hidden from the public. But you want to show that real name in a very specific context, which doesn’t follow any real logic, but is only based on your specific problem with press passes. If the users will expose their real name anyway, why would they even choose a display name that is not their real name?

I sympathise with the request for a proper suite-wide real name support, but I don’t think the problem you are describing deserves a specific solution in the core software. Having a real name field and real name option just for making Pages article posts just is just too much of a niche problem. And it can be solved with custom fields and template edits already. 

It's a news article system, every news article system that I have seen, allows the use of the persons real name (or display name) - when it's taken into account with the forum, content, downloads, gallery etc. they want to differentiate a display name from real name to be "more professional" I think it's a fair request.

they want to differentiate a display name from real name to be "more professional" 

​That’s the part I don’t really get. Why would you act under two names on the same site, when both names link to the same profile page and therefore expose the connection anyway? 

So create a field at the profile level called real name. Then in the article templates take out username field and put custom profile field. You will need some code to get it to work (I think) but you can.

This way it is filled out at the profile level, like you want.

PS. You are only assuming they will be denied press passes but all they have to do is verify usernames with the admin if there is any question. But a solution should be easy.

PS. You are only assuming they will be denied press passes but all they have to do is verify usernames with the admin if there is any question. But a solution should be easy.

​​They have already been advised they need to be real names, we have 3 of the team already accepted and attending but 2 more need to get the right amount of articles submitted. For us as a site, E3 will be huge this year, next gen zombies and from Treyarch - having as many of the team as possible attend is imperitive.

I appreciate it has been removed in 4, but the option to choose real name or display name didn't exist for content articles. However, if an add on became available - I would happily purchase it, if it met the requirements needed.

I have a real name profile field on my site. All you have to do is add one. I leave it optional, and most people enter first names. What you are asking is built in with fields. If you want that field to replace the username field in articles, do it.

Remember, articles is not an app. Pages is. Articles is just a demonstration of databases. You can pretty much do whatever you want.

Archived