IPContent as root homepage in 4.0

DesignzShop

How are we doing this now? ​Is there something like this for 4.0 or did I miss something? :) more than likely
https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/ips-community-suite-apps/ip-cont/make-ipcontent-your-homepage-r273

I already have index as homepage etc... This is specifically for if someone was to go into your site through http://www.yourdomain.com for example and see your site index without going into your site ipb folder.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are we doing this now? ​Is there something like this for 4.0 or did I miss something? :) more than likely
https://www.invisionpower.com/support/guides/_/ips-community-suite-apps/ip-cont/make-ipcontent-your-homepage-r273

I already have index as homepage etc... This is specifically for if someone was to go into your site through http://www.yourdomain.com for example and see your site index without going into your site ipb folder.

​.

is it not just setting the "default app" that is enough ?

2015-04-11_10-17-58.thumb.png.d768e497f7

​.

is it not just setting the "default app" that is enough ?

2015-04-11_10-17-58.thumb.png.d768e497f7

​No, not enough and does not complete the task of default in site root, not folder root, site root :)
People can't get to your site by it's domain with no folder mention like http://www.yoursite.com with pages index in a folder, it needs to be placed into your sites root like the link I left for 3.4 for example. I would hope they included a way to do this beings it's a suite also.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Do you mean it comes up blank?  As in no Pages content, but the nav bar, header ect are there?

​If you have your site installed for example at http://www.yoursite.com/sitefolder/ , anyone that visits your site at http://www.yoursite.com will not see your sites index unless you have a index outside of your sites folder in your sites root folder or use a re-direct for your index to your ipb app folder. The link I left above explains this perfectly.

This was extremely common in 3.4

How are we doing this now? ​Is there something like this for 4.0 or did I miss something?

In the 3.4 you had a physical folder with your community in it and the option for a parent/root where you put your IP.Content homepage. In 4.0 that is not necessary (or easily possible) anymore. Instead, you​ basically just get rid of the physical folder on the file system and move everything to the root. Then Pages is your homepage and forums, gallery and so are displayed as being in subfolders. 

Is this what you mean?

www.canadaisplaying.com

Test 4 site.

​Yes, did you install into root to get this to appear like this?

In the 3.4 you had a physical folder with your community in it and the option for a parent/root where you put your IP.Content homepage. In 4.0 that is not necessary (or easily possible) anymore. Instead, you​ basically just get rid of the physical folder on the file system and move everything to the root. Then Pages is your homepage and forums, gallery and so are displayed as being in subfolders. 

​I remember Mark saying something a while back about something not working when installing into root instead of a sub-folder, now I'll have to go back and look for that to see what the dis-advantage was. The need for this is here imo without doubt. We shouldn't be left with no choice but to install into root imo. This is a suite and should cover all bases even when the norm is installing into a sub-folder. With the norm installing into a sub-folder one would think they would have a solution for such a demanding issue when using content. What's really being said is we need to create a whole new site basically, page, html, css etc... just to get into my IPB suite. That''s just wrong and severely lacking. I mean isn't this the idea of havng a cms to run your entire site?

​​I remember Mark saying something a while back about something not working when installing into root instead of a sub-folder … 

​Nonsense. That’s the typical way of doing it. 

I mean isn't this the idea of havng a cms to run your entire site?

​Exactly! That’s why having it at the root and handling everything this way is usually the best possible choice. The old way of doing it in 3.4 was basically a hack, which was based on the fact, that the software was originally a forum and then got a CMS part which couldn’t not get stuck in that same folder. You are trying to turn this around and claim this as an advantage, but it really never was. 

By the way: you are of course not forced to put the suite into the root. You just can’t have one app working outside of the folder you choose in the end. 

Bahhh Ralf, keeping root open for other needs is important, especially if you use other software and need root access for whatever. But since you're on the subject, what about the people in 3.4 using the "hack" as you call it. Are all them people supposed to now make basically a second website to get to their ipb install? Are they supposed to move everything to root and wreck SEO, would that happen? Guess that'll be a situation in its own.

@Ralf H.
You are trying to turn this around and claim this as an advantage, but it really never was.

C'mon now Ralf, reading a little too much into this I think, I really don't care if it was a advantage or dis-advantage here, irrelevant to me, I have a site built in a sub-folder and was looking for a solution as we had before. Pretty simple with no ulterior dark motive :) I'm no coding pro, far from it, I wouldn't have the knowledge here to take the position you claim I'm taking... You seem to have a knack at coming at people like this

Bahhh Ralf, keeping root open for other needs is important, especially if you use other software and need root access for whatever. But since you're on the subject, what about the people in 3.4 using the "hack" as you call it.

Sure I get that problem. I am just describing what is there. I don’t make the software and can’t change it. 

I guess the most simple solution in this case is that you just forward the traffic from the root to the subfolder, instead of delivering the homepage at the root. In html that would be:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://yoursite.com/yoursuite">

I have that on my 3.4 site as well and will continue to use it when I upgrade to 4.0. I also won’t move my site to the root. 

Sure I get that problem. I am just describing what is there. I don’t make the software and can’t change it. 

I guess the most simple solution in this case is that you just forward the traffic from the root to the subfolder, instead of delivering the homepage at the root. In html that would be:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; URL=http://yoursite.com/yoursuite">

I have that on my 3.4 site as well and will continue to use it when I upgrade to 4.0. I also won’t move my site to the root. 

​Maybe someone will write a plug-in :D

I was kinda wondering this myself. Unfortunately, I don't believe you're able to redirect pages from your subfolder where IPB4 is installed to your root index like in IPB3.

I have always had my IPB installed in "root\forums\" and had IP.Content show up in my root without moving it. Unforunately, I can't get that to happen with IPB4 Pages. Guess we'll be waiting a bit for something to come up so we can do this again.

So what you are saying is DO NOT install forum in forum folder (as we did in previous versions)

You now HAVE to install everything in root folder and set IP.Pages to be the main prog ??

But then how does it work for all our old posts/topics etc that are in the forums folder etc (after upgrading from 3.4.7), will they be lost do we have to do something so all the topic/posts are still found ?

There has been no explanation on what we are supposed to do (if there has then it is not easily found or mentioned we should look at it) which is not very good from customer point of view

So what you are saying is DO NOT install forum in forum folder (as we did in previous versions)

You now HAVE to install everything in root folder and set IP.Pages to be the main prog ??

But then how does it work for all our old posts/topics etc that are in the forums folder etc (after upgrading from 3.4.7), will they be lost do we have to do something so all the topic/posts are still found ?

There has been no explanation on what we are supposed to do (if there has then it is not easily found or mentioned we should look at it) which is not very good from customer point of view

​No Steve, you don't have to move your site into root and can keep your file structure and seo etc... To keep it you need to either do what Ralf suggested earlier and use a re-direct or you can also build a splash page to get into your website. Personally I don't think if I own content I should be building webpages manually anywhere on my site or using re-directs, again, thus defeating the purpose of a cms. A cms should handle content anywhere on my site, and that brings another issue, we can't even add blocks to our external index now. Options are slim.

I guess at this point I more than likely need to submit a ticket to see if any conflict issues would occur if I moved a site into root and have a dev site in that root folder. If there's no conflicts I'll just move everything since the site is new and avoid any future headaches dealing with this site. Unfortunately my main larger site does use a index in root for 3.4 so more than likely a splash page is in order personally for myself for that site and maybe drop content all together for this one.

ok i switched my site from /forum/ to root and the urls in the posts show

/forum/topic/95524-my-topic-title/

one method is to do some database diving and update all instances to remove /forum/

/topic/95524-my-topic-title/

that will work for internal self link but bookmarks that other people have and googles links etc still reflect the old path, and would result in an ERROR page.

In the Friendly URL I when in and added:

forum/topic/{#id}-{?}

to the real URL

app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=123

I am sure I will need to add more to this 

​A cms should handle content anywhere on my site …

​Well, anywhere below the folder you install it it, not above. That’s basically the default for any stand-alone web application. If you install any web app, you have the choice to run it in the root folder or a subfolder (or sub domain), but if you choose the sub folder, the app will usually only handle anything below that point, not above. 

That being said: Since it was a common and suggested practise to have such IP.Content homepages in a parent folder, there should be some proper instructions to deal with that when upgrading. I agree to that. I am not clear myself which options would have which effects, e.g. regarding the forwarding of old URLs to new ones. 

Since it was a common and suggested practise to have such IP.Content homepages in a parent folder, there should be some proper instructions to deal with that when upgrading. I agree to that. I am not clear myself which options would have which effects, e.g. regarding the forwarding of old URLs to new ones. 

​Which is what concerns me ... if upgrade my forum then I either lose my 'index' page in site root (which was IP.Content) or I lose all my links in google etc if I put my forum in site root instead of forum folder

Just a thought  ... as IPS apps are all separate now can we not install IP.Pages in site root and forum in forum folder and still pull content from forum, blogs, gallery etc into Pages or can it not be done this way ?

Archived