News / Article system

stig olsen

Hi,

My idea is to bridge the Forum with a WP solution because WP has some really nice plugins that let the user post articles in a very sophisticated way.
Is there any plug ins or other options that have this set up in a modern way, so that I dont need to reach for WP?
Im thinking of having this articles on the first page.

Stig

This is sophisticated and modern - http://themeforest.net/item/sense-blog-magazine-news-theme/10434558?ref=kirush
So is this - http://www.mojo-themes.com/item/newsright-wordpress-premium-hd-news-magazine/?r=dmesh301
And maybe this - http://themeforest.net/item/gazeta-news-magazine-newspaper-portal-responsive-wordpress-theme/10358200?ref=kirush

Im looking for a modern way of posting articles with a nice image presentation grid. As you can find in a lot of WP themes out there.
I need this because I want to create good and interesting content for the users. Then I need the article presentations to look modern and appealing.

Stig

Im looking for a modern way of posting articles with a nice image presentation grid. As you can find in a lot of WP themes out there.

I see. You are looking for modern themes. 

Yes, that is all possible with 4.0. Either you can style it yourself or you need to wait a little bit for 4.0 themes to be published. Since the software was just release, there aren’t much good themes available yet. 

​See the link in my signature. 

​You know I must say, I originally followed you because I enjoyed reading your informative content.  I am feeling pretty dumb, because up until now I missed your signature.  What an excellent way to use gallery.  I hope you do not mind if I use the idea.  It is excellent and solved a problem for something I wanted on my site and did not know how to exactly present it, in a good way.  I use to think what am I going to do with gallery.  Gallery will work perfect for a history section I want to publish.  

I just saw gallery as a place to publish pictures, not as an area for publishing a topic article.  It is so perfect for publishing history articles.

Thank you! 

​Not sure what you mean. I don’t use the Gallery app, if that’s what you mean. Are you talking about the layout of certain pages?

​Yep, I'm sure he is. It's the way your records are set out with images to be clicked that has caught his eye, I think. It caught mine too.

(And it's nice to read comments that are as polite as @Ricw's. I've noticed him do that a couple of times. Good on you.)

​Not sure what you mean. I don’t use the Gallery app, if that’s what you mean. Are you talking about the layout of certain pages?

​I assumed Weekly was a modified form of gallery.  Never the less, I think I will continue pursuing the idea of using gallery to present some topics on history.  You have a couple of really nice looking and informative sites.  I read a couple of the articles, and I might join in the future and ask a few questions about font, using the correct time period font for history articles.  I am pretty busy right now and do not have a lot of extra time, but when I am a little more focused on that, I might just join.

Ralf, this looks amazing!

Did you make those pages completely with the IP pages?

Except forums and calendar it’s all Pages. 

Without any need of coding (html / CSS ajustments)?

I did change the CSS and the page templates. But it’s all more or less using the default layout tweaked to my specific needs. Nothing too fancy. I am pretty sure that a few of the real good template designers will come up with real creative layouts soon, that look nothing like the default look (and in turn my site). Just give it a few more weeks. 

Ok thanks.

I might think that its a better solution than trying to combine both the IPB forums and WP solutions. Nice that its possible.
Can you give a couple of examples of what you needed the CSS modification for? I want to know, because I want to know exactly what to expect of the pages out of the box, as I cant find any good documentation.

Thanks for sharing!

Stig

Archived