Wiki-style editing

shahed

I just see in Pages Wiki-style editing is not have any Differences with IP.Content. You can enable this feature and members can edit records from that database and nothing more. i have some idea for Improve this ability on Pages:

You must know when your article or your following article become edited, moved, locked or deleted. For any action on the following article in Wiki style, you must receive a notification. this is very important in wiki system to know your following article have been edited from another users. following a article now is just a simple notification about new comment or review maybe. This is good but not enough for users when using a wiki system.

Wiki-style Editing Requires some details from edit, like last Editor / Last Updated / list of contributors for articles. For Last Editor and last updated time i see a option for Show that the message has been edited in Record form but this is not enough. all users must be able to know when and by who this article has been edited. also this must be as some kind of filter or parser we can use in Blocks. This Article > edited by {last_editor} > in {updated_time}

Manage Revision can be work as Article History but when i check this feature in 4.0, i see It's worse than IP.C Actually. Just take a look, i see all Variations for a single record existed in one page and in RAW HTML code:

sM.thumb.jpg.19a4c6faed797ca97542c538216

Just like a Wiki system, users At least must have some key feature about Wiki markup like [[Target Record Title]] for linking.

Just like a Wiki system, users At least must have some key feature about Wiki markup like [[Target Record Title]] for linking.

​I would even think bigger here. Why just copy the MediaWiki way of doing internal links? It’s not a very good concept anyway. 

I would rather suggest, that the 4.0 Suite gets a suite-wide linking feature for any content type. There are already the link boxes for forum and files for example. Why not extend that for all content types of all apps?

And in addition to that, there could be a similar system for links within texts. So the Link button in the editor gets a new option “internal link” where you first choose your app (forum/gallery/pages/blogs/calendar) and then filter down to the content element you want to link to. Then a dynamic link is generated, which will always forward to the correct entry, even if record FURLs change. 

Yes, Exactly. for example in Wikipedia we have many ways for linking. you can use this type for add Image to a article from Upload section: [[file:filename.jpg|size(by px)|left or roght]] // in Here we can use Gallery app as Upload section and adding image from gallery to another apps: [[gallery:image/movie name|size|left or right|description]]. or in Wikipedia we can use this type for linking articles between two different language. for example in En.wiki you can write [[de:article name|display name]] for linking a article from another wiki to this wiki. // in Here we can use this type when we want linking a content from another apps in current app: [[pages:article name|display name]] / [[blog:blog name|display name]] / [[files:file name|display name]] and ...

All of this can be done as Blue/Red link also. it means you can Encourage the other users to create a Red link of topic/blog/file or ... when they Reading a content in everywhere on the suite.

All of this can be done but i think it's Bothersome for IPS, because they are not Wiki Developers and this suite is not a Wiki suite. However As far as we have in Pages a option for Wiki-style editing, they can think about for improve this ability on that app. i think for 4.0 more important thing  is notification for edit a article / lock or move and ... also another suggestion i mention above.

So IP Content is really lackluster if you want it as a wiki?

​If you expect it to work like MediaWiki, then yes. 

But if are using IP.Content databases and just want to make them editable by all members, it does that mostly sufficiently. 

• 2 months later...

But if are using IP.Content databases and just want to make them editable by all members, it does that mostly sufficiently. 

• As i see for now we dont know AT ALL when content is edited?
  • No Notifications after edit has been made
  • Even Guests see the Edit-Link on any record but it ends in an Database-Error becose there is no member_id :
    • Column 'revision_member_id' cannot be null

I hope for some small improvments on this.

• As i see for now we dont know AT ALL when content is edited?
  • No Notifications after edit has been made

It’s a database setting. You can set it so, that the record appears as new after every edit. 

• Even Guests see the Edit-Link on any record …

That’s a permission setting. 

That’s a permission setting. 

Well thats not a permission setting and it can not be disabled. It will be i future versions - just got mail today from invision about that.

The ugly thing is now the edit button is visible and already indexed by google, i get tons of sql errors and can not disable this.

Where can i find that in the templates and how to disable for guests, anyone know?

Yea, this was changed for the next release. We have removed the ability to edit a record from wiki style databases for guests.

Nooooo, please not! On my site guests are allowed to post and contribute. I wanted to start a wiki like database where also guest are allowed to edit. Please do not remove this feature!

Archived