Community

Introducing ForumMob! - White label mobile apps for IPB

I'm happy to finally announce the (beta) launch of ForumMob!

Welcome to Forum Mob, the white label mobile app solution for IPB forum owners. Get your forum up and running within minutes to promote your active community. These are just some of the features you can expect.

• Customization – Customize the look of your forum with themes of your choice, and choose your preferred settings such as user profile visibility.

• User engagement – Keep users coming back with options such as automatic notifications of new posts, organization of unseen content for each user, and recognition of active users.

• Communication – Users can post discussions, polls, and videos effortlessly from their mobile devices.

The administrative options in ForumMob make it easy to keep your forum running smoothly.

• Ability to track troublesome users and impose sanctions such as moderator approval before posting or banning from the boards.

• Simple one-step option for users to report objectionable content to moderators.

• Automatic logs of site errors.

• Standard security protections.

We're looking for a few beta testers. Please PM me if you're interested in being part of our beta launch! We would prefer to work with active forums.

If you're accepted into the beta phase, please go through the following steps and requirements so you can get your forum customized and running as soon as possible.

1. You must be running v3.4 of IPB. We do not currently support v4.

2. Send the following information about the forum:

1. Forum Name

2. Forum URL

3. Send us icons for the app and for the splash screen.

1. For iOS, see https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/IconMatrix.html. We need the first 3 rows for the first 3 columns on that table (app icon and launch file for the iPhone 4s, iPhone 6, iPhon 6 Plus)

2. For Android, see http://developer.android.com/design/style/iconography.html (just the "launcher" section)

3. There is a good guide to creating a splash screen here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10574363/android-splash-screen-image-sizes-to-fit-all-devices. Another helpful site to look at: http://www.gieson.com/Library/projects/utilities/icon_slayer/#.VHzawTHF81I, which can help generate the images in all the required sizes.

4. Since this is a beta version, we are still ironing out the wrinkles. We ask that you set up a designated forum (on your site) where users can post their feedback on the app. This way, we can monitor the forum and handle issues more efficiently.

5. Beta testers must take care of their own app store accounts. 

6. Before you get your Forum Mob app, we will send you the server component, which you will install on the server. We can't make the build until that piece is done.

Thanks for trying Forum Mob!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most likely per domain. We will most definitely offer push notifications at launch. Sharing images via phone camera to forum posts is already supported.  We currently use our own custom

I'm afraid I agree with this too. The whole purpose...Rather interest that I have is an app that incorporates all of IPS apps. Basically, what works on the Desktop, should also work on the mobile

I'm happy to finally announce the (beta) launch of ForumMob! Welcome to Forum Mob, the white label mobile app solution for IPB forum owners. Get your forum up and running within minutes to promote yo

Posted Images

Really appreciate all the responses. We still have a few more spots available for beta testing. 

To clarify a few things that were mentioned privately.......You're able to run TapaTalk simultaneously while testing our iOS and Android app.  Additionally, immediately after public release we plan on getting out more of the IPB components (starting with Blog and then Articles).

As someone that seen tapatalk and now moving into 4.0.x is this item really needed ? yeah maybe for few that will stay in 3.4.x might go down with a storm but 4.0.x is prefect in mobile or tablet yeah been few time where forum crash my browser using iPad but i sure that be fixed in time before finial. 

Hopefully it does not get over developed like tapatalk which IMHO is useless now.

We are not planning on going in that direction.​

As someone that seen tapatalk and now moving into 4.0.x is this item really needed ? yeah maybe for few that will stay in 3.4.x might go down with a storm but 4.0.x is prefect in mobile or tablet yeah been few time where forum crash my browser using iPad but i sure that be fixed in time before finial. 

I think there will always be a need for branded native apps, especially once we start going into the world of custom. :) For a free version, the way Tapatalk is set up, probably not.

We are not planning on going in that direction.​

I think there will always be a need for branded native apps, especially once we start going into the world of custom. :) For a free version, the way Tapatalk is set up, probably not.

​That maybe because some people views but what 4.0.x now offers can't see what another plugin would change ? 

​That maybe because some people views but what 4.0.x now offers can't see what another plugin would change ? 

We're not offering "just a plugin." You can't compare "responsive" web design to mobile (iOS and Android) apps. It’s a difficult choice to make since both options present advantages and disadvantages that must be taken into consideration. Responsive Web design is certainly the most "affordable" option for some business's as compared to the development of a mobile app. That's where we come in and level the playing field by making inexpensive yet custom, white label apps based around IPB. A mobile app will provide users with unique functionality and speed that can’t be achieved with a responsive website

• 4 weeks later...

$30 a month? That's not much less than I pay for my hosting. Before anyone jumps down my throat for being "entitled" or "Demanding it be free" - try again, I'm not, at least I'm not demanding it to be free. I mean it's a great idea but there are some huge concerns for me.

Privacy questions. 

1. Will this work for HTTPS only sites, and honour that HTTPS?
  2. Does any data go through any of your servers? 
    1. What data do you collect and why?
    2. If 2 is yes, then is the data that goes to your servers HTTPS too?
  3. Can notifications come up on people's phones?
  4. How much of a strain will this put on our servers, or there some kind of "Push" notification thing going on, which leads me back to question 2; if not who's servers are they going through or is it done from our server(s)?
  5. This "Server Component" that we need to install, what exactly is it for? Is it encoded or can the file be viewed and verified by us?
Edited by Tripp_UK

$30 a month? That's not much less than I pay for my hosting. Before anyone jumps down my throat for being "entitled" or "Demanding it be free" - try again, I'm not, at least I'm not demanding it to be free. I mean it's a great idea but there are some huge concerns for me.

Privacy questions. 

1. Will this work for HTTPS only sites, and honour that HTTPS?
  2. Does any data go through any of your servers? 
    1. What data do you collect and why?
    2. If 2 is yes, then is the data that goes to your servers HTTPS too?
  3. Can notifications come up on people's phones?
  4. How much of a strain will this put on our servers, or there some kind of "Push" notification thing going on, which leads me back to question 2; if not who's servers are they going through or is it done from our server(s)?
  5. This "Server Component" that we need to install, what exactly is it for? Is it encoded or can the file be viewed and verified by us?

​It's the same pricing as Tapatalk, which makes it market value.

1. Yes.
  2. No. The only data that gets sent to us your license key (for validation). Also, if the app crashes with some unknown error, we send ourselves the stack trace so we can troubleshoot. But that only includes technical mumbo-jumbo and nothing personal about your server or users.
  3. Push notifications are still in development, but they will be in place when we release to the public.
  4. No more of a strain than someone using the desktop version. (Note: this does not relate to push notifications. We haven't finished implementing them and therefore I can't give you a concrete answer on that yet.)
  5. It's the API that allows your mobile app to talk to your IPB installation. It's a regular IPB application, just like anything you would get off the marketplace. It will be encoded.

Interesting. I'd love to see how it pans out, so I'll probably test it out with anyone who uses it, as a user first. I appreciate you answering my rather blunt questions. Thank you very much HeadStand. But I'm rather concerned about the fifth point, I meant encoded with IonCube or something like that, and as far as I am aware the stuff on the marketplace isn't... Not usually anyway. Perhaps I should have said "Is the source code of the file we put on our servers, encrypted, or can we view it ourselves?" 

But cheers... If my site ever gets that popular, I'd definitely consider it, right now though I am not sure I'd be able to afford it. Not saying $30 is a bad price; at all. I assume you get what you pay for, like the app (that we put on the store, if I am getting this correctly) will always be updated as long as we're active clients to suit the iOS or Android version, tech support for it, etc. So I am definitely interested and I think it's a fantastic idea. Perhaps when it's released and I can play around with it as a user (I assume you'll have it set up for ForumMob's forums) I'd definitely like to play with it.

Then maybe one day I will be able to afford it, or can justify putting it on my site. 

Thanks again @HeadStand!

Hello! I'm very interested in this App but for the IPS 4. It's nice to hear it is planned this year :) Also, we use Gallery and Pages and would like to know if there are plans to include additional IPS Apps in ForumMob?

Thanks!

​Yes, we intend to support all IPS apps, although we will not begin work on that until we are fully released, AND we support v4.