Hold on, IPS want blank posts?

bigPaws

You cannot submit a blank post. You may be able to submit a post that appears blank, but I can also make a post that says "This is not useful" or even "....." -- if you have a member that wants to be a troll, they'll be a troll. It's like every house in the world having a sign in their yard that reads "don't let your pet soil my lawn" -- some things are just common sense and you're not going to fix or necessarily even deter inconsiderate people. It's frankly not worth the development effort to try and thwart people that can put forth an extra fraction of a second to put "abc" in a post to annoy you. 

You put the development effort in to stop people submitting blank replies and things like a swear censor, despite it being easy to substitute characters and still effectively swear. Why bother with these if the attitude is that a troll will troll?

My understanding is, as alluded to by Andy and Matt, that there wasn't really a way to stop people posting blank edits - when you had something like that it apparently broke embeds. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

Apples. Oranges.  The censor is to prevent otherwise casual posters that slip up and use profanity, perhaps without intentionally meaning to do so. We don't go out of our way to prevent people abusing the censor with special characters either. Likewise, we're not going to spend a whole lot of time on people who want to be obnoxious and try to create empty posts.

Matt indicates he's fixed the single space on edit concern. :)

As there is a lot of passion over this, I've made a simple check to catch spaces and line breaks only. It is far from foolproof but will catch an accidental deletion and save.

​That seems reasonable and very logical. Thanks Matt!

You cannot submit a blank post. You may be able to submit a post that appears blank,

No, you CAN! That was whole point here.  Edit, clear contents, save.

As there is a lot of passion over this, I've made a simple check to catch spaces and line breaks only. It is far from foolproof but will catch an accidental deletion and save.

​Excellent, thanks! That's perfect.

That'll go a long way to encourage non-trolls to input something sensible if they edit out their post. Thank you! :D

​I didn't follow this post so I guess I don't care about the context, but I am impressed that you have made this change.

Even though I don't think it was a big deal, it's very encouraging to see the IP team address the concerns of the users.

Yes thanks @Matt and @Lindy for responding. I guess one man's mole hill is another man's mountain - not that I think this was a mountain of an issue at all - just that we all see the importance of things differently - like Charles and the whole search by topic title thing :D 

Archived