Advertisements

craigf136

I'm just adding some adverts into our test site at the moment, and I have basically put them at the header, footer, and sidebar, after first topic, after first post. I'm noticing though, that there is no way that exists (that I can currently find) to disable adverts on specific pages or applications, it's suite wide or nothing? I also notice, that if you add it to the sidebar, you cannot change the location of the ad, it's at the top of the sidebar and thats it.

Is that correct?

Surely it can't be suite wide by default and no option to enable/disable per page/applicaton. I know IPS are wanting to have everything tied together as a suite but some pages will not require adverts to be displayed, is this working as intended or an oversight?

4.0 is not Adsense friendly, @craigf136 I'm interested how have you got the ad slot working after first post, when I place Adsense code in this slot it stops people from navigating through topic pages when using Chrome.

support-69810-0-40532400-1426688284.thum

I was told by support to try a minimum width, I've tried everything but can't get it to work. I was also told they were investigating giving us an option to disable Ajax for pagination, I fear that that this won't be coming any time soon if at all.

I also had to add media queries with minimum width to my header ads as they wasn't showing in Chrome. 

Suite wide default header and footer placements are a no go as Adsense you are not allowed to display ads on login or error pages, it was the same in 3.4 and I agree that some won't realise this or understand how to edit templates and include custom locations. More preset ad locations for Adsense users wouldn't go a miss.

I have added 2 customer location ads {advertisement="header"} to the top and {advertisement="footer"} to the following templates

forums > front > index > index 

forums > front > forums > forumDisplay

forums > front > topics > topic

This displays adverts on the home page, within a forum and the topic page.

My ad revenue is down by around 60% since upgrading to 4, losing the ad slot in the first post or after is a massive loss, add to that when users navigate through pages in a topic the page loads with the topic pagination at the top of the screen so the header ad doesn't show, they are basically seeing one ad in the footer if they scroll down far enough. Great for the user, not great for showing ads.

Screen_Shot_2015-03-29_at_17.46.44.thumb

If disabling Ajax for pagination doesn't come with the full release I will have to look at my options and possibly moving to Xenforo, just can't afford to take a huge hit like this on ad revenue.

I'm not sure why, I've tested it on all browsers and it works - the AD's don't appear to be responsive though (even though it's responsive AD's I'm using from adsense.

Simply entering the information into the relevant slots with advertisements within the ACP is all I did (these images are from Chrome).

Firefox

This is showing the custom skin and the default, in responsive mode and the AD's not responsive (even though it is responsive AD's being used from Adsense.

If disabling Ajax for pagination doesn't come with the full release I will have to look at my options and possibly moving to Xenforo, just can't afford to take a huge hit like this on ad revenue.

​You would really move to another plattform (which won't receive any new features because they are already working on 2.0) because of this?

But before you leave, here's a plugin which will disable the ajax pagination

disable ajax pagination.xml

​You would really move to another plattform (which won't receive any new features because they are already working on 2.0) because of this?

But before you leave, here's a plugin which will disable the ajax pagination

disable ajax pagination.xml

​When you're losing 60% of your revenue it would be foolish not to consider other options, I'll try the plugin now, thanks!

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived