Shirley we'll have a release soon?

Square Wheels

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We do have a date for the fully supported release of IPS4 now. I'm not going to tell you in case something happens but we are pretty sure we will make it. There will be an RC7 though as we wrap up bugs. I'm sure you will notice the bug tracker is getting more sparse lately. We also want to do an RC7 as we need to test our internal release procedure that will apply to the "real" releases. That is why RC7 will take a bit longer than the others as it has to go through more process controls.

​Missed this one....

Uhmmmm Charles wrong answer.... You know protocol.... "When It's Ready"

Come on next thing that will happen, people will think you are changeing your ways and "being nice" rather than your EVIL twin... :tongue: Always messing with peoples heads....

(((Looking out the front door for Lindy's Red body chrushing tool.)))

• Management

​Rat Farts! I though gold was coming next. Oh well.

​It probably could have been but like I said we want to be sure the release process goes smoothly too. Betas and RCs are a different thing to a fully supported release :)

We do have a date for the fully supported release of IPS4 now. I'm not going to tell you in case something happens but we are pretty sure we will make it. There will be an RC7 though as we wrap up bugs. I'm sure you will notice the bug tracker is getting more sparse lately. We also want to do an RC7 as we need to test our internal release procedure that will apply to the "real" releases. That is why RC7 will take a bit longer than the others as it has to go through more process controls.

​And the converter so we can test vBulletin and such conversions? Please?

• Management

RC6 is an amazing performance hog on my server, will a much improved RC7 be available soon?

​I've seen you mention this several times, so I'd really like to take the time to highlight that while there's constant room for performance improvements (and in fact, this is done on a regular basis throughout the development cycle) - IPS4 is far from a "performance hog" that's going to bring your server to its knees. :) 

Based on what's been presented to us, I feel this is a case of a typical VPS with an overloaded parent host. Given the MySQL server specific errors and performance issues, I might suggest reviewing our own cloud offerings - it's likely you'd save money and experience much better performance -- we will transfer the site for free. 

For what it's worth, this particular community is running on a single EC2 instance and RDS -- no memcache, CDN, sphinx or otherwise. I think you'd find performance quite adequate. 

• Management

I find this site (IPS) sluggish @Lindy. Page loads take a few seconds, searches longer, and it used to be zippy. Some of my page loads today were 9 seconds.

​This is a geographically related network issue as the site has been under heavy Distributed Denial of Service attack off and on. Depending on your location and path, traffic could get throttled temporarily as the attacks are mitigated. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

My IPS installation used to be slow and completely bog down when I had more than 400 or so on at a time. I started running it through MaxCDN and CloudFlare and it's blazing even when we get 900 or more on. Definitely give a CDN a try if you are having performance issues, especially if you use shared hosting of any kind.

​This is a geographically related network issue as the site has been under heavy Distributed Denial of Service attack off and on. Depending on your location and path, traffic could get throttled temporarily as the attacks are mitigated. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

​No prob! I just saw you stating what IPS servers ran on so let you know my experience. Today is really bad, so hopefully that is it! ;) Thanks

I have been getting slow reaction and time outs as well. But upon other investigation and factors involved with other websites related to forums as well as non related. My personal issues seem to occure at certain times of the day and days of the week. The issues I experience have been brought to my cable provider. It seems they have a few business and residential lines flipped. Now could this be another possibility for some? This would depend on a single site vs the multiple. Another thing to concsider if you are a cable subscriber is time of day and community in which you live because that also will factor in as load. Another way to test this is to take speed tests using a few different test sites durring your good, better and bad times of the day or week. If they show any consistancy again report it to your cable provider...

​I've seen you mention this several times, so I'd really like to take the time to highlight that while there's constant room for performance improvements (and in fact, this is done on a regular basis throughout the development cycle) - IPS4 is far from a "performance hog" that's going to bring your server to its knees. :) 

Based on what's been presented to us, I feel this is a case of a typical VPS with an overloaded parent host. Given the MySQL server specific errors and performance issues, I might suggest reviewing our own cloud offerings - it's likely you'd save money and experience much better performance -- we will transfer the site for free. 

For what it's worth, this particular community is running on a single EC2 instance and RDS -- no memcache, CDN, sphinx or otherwise. I think you'd find performance quite adequate. 

​I hate being known as the complainer, I apologize for my negative tone.  I guess I'm a little jaded and scarred coming from vB.  They too started as a great product and history has shown where they are now.  When I moved to IPS, I had been impressed from the very beginning.  Your thoughtful post shows me why I should continue to be impressed with your commitment to your product and support, please accept my apology.

I asked my host to look at the server one last time and I was planning to move after that, this is what they responded with:
I have optimized your site's database from the ground up. This was done by changing database types on frequently accessed tables, adding primary keys where necessary, and in some cases adding a primary key where there wasn't one at all.

After doing these changes I was able to bring your site load time down from 15 seconds or so to two seconds.

I'm curious why they would have needed to make these database changes.  Shouldn't the upgrader / installed done this for me?  When I read their reply, I was naturally skeptical, but it made a tremendous difference.  The site seems to function fine now. 

I am unsure what primary keys they believe were necessary but not present.  A primary key is never "necessary", but if they have feedback about missing indexes by all means I would encourage them to share that info with you (and in turn us).

I suspect the bulk of the improvement was a result of changing the database table engine on certain database tables, combined with their specific mysql configuration.  If a host is optimized for MyISAM and you use InnoDB, you may experience poor performance, for example.

I am unsure what primary keys they believe were necessary but not present.  A primary key is never "necessary", but if they have feedback about missing indexes by all means I would encourage them to share that info with you (and in turn us).

I suspect the bulk of the improvement was a result of changing the database table engine on certain database tables, combined with their specific mysql configuration.  If a host is optimized for MyISAM and you use InnoDB, you may experience poor performance, for example.

​They didn't give specifics, just what I wrote.  I also didn't ask.  Yesterday my site barely worked, today it works fine.

The site had been moved a couple of times, always assuming it was the server, could the indexes have been lost then?  If yes, does the upgrade script check for missing indexes?  If I upgrade again, will I lose what they did?

​Lindy, thats not completely true...

I have my live board and my Test Board on the same VPS. My Live board loads View New Content in 0,7 Seconds. My Test Board just load View New Content in 11,6 Seconds. We are going from less than a second to 11 seconds. Google says that page loads that take more than 3 seconds tends to make users quit the site.

Entering Topics takes double the time.

You can check this topic i created this Month:

​They didn't give specifics, just what I wrote.  I also didn't ask.  Yesterday my site barely worked, today it works fine.

The site had been moved a couple of times, always assuming it was the server, could the indexes have been lost then?  If yes, does the upgrade script check for missing indexes?  If I upgrade again, will I lose what they did?

​It's possible moving the site would cause indexes to be missing, if the database itself was not exported correctly. You should not lose what they did already, though I'd be interested in taking a look and comparing with what I have in my development environment. The support tool in the Admin CP will check your database for any potential database issues, though like I said... I'd be interested in taking a look myself.

​I'd be happy to give you log in info, but it looks like you don't accept PMs.

How can I get the info to you?

Thanks

Open a support ticket and point them to Ryans post, stick your server details in the ticket and ask them to give the nod to ryan....

Or wait till he reads your post

​You can't even hint at the month or the season of the release?

Archived