Suggestion: Please allow Topics to have a (0) comment count, like all the other content. Or change it to replies for continuity with the other areas.

chilihead

I thought this was a bug but apparently it is by design. All content types, when there are (0) comments/replies, say (0), except for Topics, which says (1) comment, as it counts itself as a comment. This causes clicks as people think they have a comment.

This happens in New Content >> All New Content, but not in New Content >> Topics, My Activity, or in Forums, where the language changes to replies and it correctly says (0).

Blogs and all the other content types correctly say (0) comments when there are none, but IPS says:

yes I understand what you are saying, it's not a bug though it's feedback. The all new content view shows content that is displayed differently and therefore is normalized to show a comment count not a reply count. A topic cannot have zero comments as the first comment is submitted as part of the topic. It can have zero replies but it can never have zero comments.

​Of course it can, it can say 0. Like the other content types. Or if for some reason you don't like that logic, please use the language replies and adjust the count. But a comment is the same as a reply so I don't understand the reasoning.

It's also just generally confusing to use comment and reply language, especially since they have different counts. Can there be continuity and correct counts?

I posted it as a bug here, and you can see more info here.

http://community.invisionpower.com/4bugtrack/reply-count-off-in-nc-r4441/

(It is marked Fixed but that was not this issue, it is not fixed.)

I would like to suggest this be changed, thanks for reading!

I agree to this, because it irritated me on my 4.0 site as well. If I start a topic I am used to see a zero beside it, for example in the forum widget on the forum index page. But when I am on the VNC page it suddenly says 1 so I think there is an answer there – but it isn’t. 

This could be resolved in various ways, but in the end, there should be a consistent display across the suite. 

I agree to this, because it irritated me on my 4.0 site as well. If I start a topic I am used to see a zero beside it, for example in the forum widget on the forum index page. But when I am on the VNC page it suddenly says 1 so I think there is an answer there – but it isn’t. 

This could be resolved in various ways, but in the end, there should be a consistent display across the suite. ​

Exactly. It should consistently be called comment or reply, but more importantly, the count needs to be the same. Just like you said, you see 0, then 1, you immediately think you have a reply/comment whatever you want to call it, just to find out it is counting itself. :unsure:

I don't understand the logic either of them saying in NC >>ANC it is a comment count, not a reply count, so it counts itself. First... why the different style/language count? If there is a reason, okay fine. But... why the different number? A comment is a reply. Blogs here do it correctly. Files, etc. It does not say (1) comment until there is (1) comment/reply. So I'm not sure where they are getting this logic of "A topic cannot have zero comments,"  because, yes it can. And it should. :)

• 3 weeks later...

To add to this, if you use the article system to make forum posts, and store comments as topic replies...

The article will say (0) comments

The topic will say (1) comment

So with each new reply it is 1 off.

For the same exact content! Because it is treating the topic as a comment but not the article, but they are exactly the same, just mirrored. Please fix this! A comment is a reply. This logic is throwing counts off, and this is a perfect example of where there is conflict. 

Thanks!

Same content with same amount of replies:

ips_comment_count.thumb.png.e1bc881dc33b

mmm i would understand if first post is same of second... because I could delete first post and leave second as first? (3.x is not available the button "delete" on first post of topic)

How i tell it? comments or posts or replies? :lol: in Italian language: commenti, messaggi, risposte...

i would have "posts" for global setting for each forums node... and a specific setting per forum to use "replies" where 1 post is non counted (support topic, contest/poll, ask forum...)

please explain this change on 4.0 clear.

• 2 weeks later...

inside the topic i see "3 posts in this topic" on new content page i see "2 replies" ... please choose a one of them.

other issue: a file in marketplace contain "reviews" not "comment/s"... fix this on future thanks.

pGRuHVo.png

@Matt @Mark @bfarber ... update on this?

for post (not question topics) could use "posts"(9) instead of "replies"(8)

9 posts and 8 replies is correct.

There are 8 replies to the original post which is #1.

8+1=9

3.4 does it like this:

"8 replies to this topic" where it now says "9 posts in this topic."

So if they go back to that, the numbers will match.

But I'm glad the original issue is fixed.

• 1 year later...

Archived