IPS slow response times

Will Munny

Many of my users are complaining the new site is intermittently and randomly sluggish, I have noticed this myself. Compared to my 3.3 install prior to upgrade, things have noticebly slowed down.

In order to test the theory, I have created a subdomain of the old site (on the same server). It's sensationally fast in comparison.

My IPB 3.3 install consitently passes Google's Page Speed Insights test (i.e. always quicker than 0.2 seconds response time), whereas IPS 4.0 is consitently failing this test, sometimes as long as 1.4 seconds to respond.

Now, it should be noted the server is well resourced and never under load. I'm also running fully SSD storage. Will you accept there is a speed issue?

I've noticed the /forum/ directory is sending the 'close' flag on KeepAlive. Maybe this is somehow related to the responsiveness problem? The KeepAlive function is working on my server and I have verified this. I've noticed the IPS company forums are also sending the 'close' flag in the headers. Do you have any insight as to why the new forum directory might be closing the connection?

I too have been experiencing significant speed issues, to the point that my host has asked me to move my site off of their server.  They are giving me a little more time because I let them know the next revision (RC6) which is available now is supposed to help with some of the slower queries.  I will install this later today and see if it helps.

Its worth noting that we have "performance" as "coming next" item on our feature plan: http://community.invisionpower.com/4featureplan/

​I made the mistake of going live with one of the RC releases and I am paying for it now, my mistake - live and learn.

The software seems significantly faster here than on my server, do we have the same version available to us that is running here, or do you have performance enhancements incorporated in your version that we don't have yet?

I've noticed the /forum/ directory is sending the 'close' flag on KeepAlive. Maybe this is somehow related to the responsiveness problem? The KeepAlive function is working on my server and I have verified this. I've noticed the IPS company forums are also sending the 'close' flag in the headers. Do you have any insight as to why the new forum directory might be closing the connection?

​This is something I'm struggling to comprehend. Why would this only be happening on my forum directory?

Now you can see why many of us who have been around for a while don't rush to upgrade. In my opinion IPS should have held off releasing version 4 until the speed issues had been addressed.

Personally I can't see the point in bringing out a new version of something if it's slower / more resource heavy than the previous version. It should be faster and I would have expected this with version 4 being touted as a major overhaul. No way will I be upgrading until speed issues are addressed.

Personally I'm happy to take the early upgrade issues on the chin. I'm of the mind that early adopters are needed, at the end of the day someone has got to find the inevitable bugs, it helps the community of customers as a whole. I've been experiencing some significant upgrade issues that lead me to believe the move to RC stage was premature and it should have stayed in Beta a while longer. Having said that, I accept what comes with being an early adopter. Everyone needs Beta/RC testers, there are just too many environment variables in the real world to reliably predict the outcome on a test server.

It's real world usage that helps IPS improve performance so it's a good thing they do release them and that some people do upgrade.

I have an IT background and I've yet to see any UAT or system testing that can truly replace real world use. 

​Agreed. The fact that they are providing personal support on IPS 4 pre-launch is fantastic too. In terms of speed, I have't experienced much difference between 3 and 4. Without a doubt a hard thing to troubleshoot considering the varying server environments.

I and others that are testing on our site have found it slower than V3 as standard without caching implemented, I'm sure it will be increased in speed though. I find the IPS forums fairly fast but I still find xenforo forums quicker to respond on other sites (just as a comparison).

One thing that is making for example the View New Content a lot slower in IPS4 big boards is that it uses a query with DISTINCT, creating because of that a temporary table. 

It works without the DISTINCT, so there is no point in using it, like in ipb3.

On my test install of ips4 i go to the view new content and it takes so many time that i can go to my live site and browse some pages before ips4 loads. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi IPS

I have my own server in a fast stable server environment. I have just installed the newest version of the IPS Community Suite 4.0 (just as a test site) with the exact same setup.
I experience slower performance in general with the new 4.0. I  and experience noticeably slower perforance with large topics.

Do you still work on the performance issues?? - I really like the new flat responsive layout. But I can not allow the forum to be slower. :)

Thanks In advance :)
Ki

Hi IPS

I have my own server in a fast stable server environment. I have just installed the newest version of the IPS Community Suite 4.0 (just as a test site) with the exact same setup.
I experience slower performance in general with the new 4.0. I  and experience noticeably slower perforance with large topics.

Do you still work on the performance issues?? - I really like the new flat responsive layout. But I can not allow the forum to be slower. :)

Thanks In advance :)
Ki

Can you check if your test site is fast in Guest Mode and slower with you logged in? I have that problem in my test site.

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2015 at 2:13 PM, Will Munny said:

Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

On 3/19/2015 at 2:13 PM, Will Munny said:

The KeepAlive issue can be "solved" editing the file "system/Output/Output.php", and removing the line "$this->sendHeader( "Connection: close" );".

@Matt, is there any reason for IPS to disable the Keep Alive?

Archived