YouTube - proper way to embed?

Square Wheels

Lot's of people like to embed YouTube videos on my site.  I am not sure of the proper way to do it.  Many of the videos I see are just links, not the actual video.

Sometimes when I try I paste the link, wait 5 seconds and it shows up, then I submit the post.  If I want to type text after the video and I paste the YouTube link, then hit return to type a message, it only inserts the link.

The behaviour seems erratic.

What is the intended way for us to insert videos that will work consistently?

Thanks

It should be a case that you paste the link, then hit return. If the site detects that the link is embeddable media, then it will embed it accordingly. I'm fairly sure that Brandon mentioned once that YouTube links that have a particular starting time appended to the link (eg t=3m27s) aren't correctly picked up though. Might that be one of the sources of the inconsistencies you've observed, do you think?

It should be a case that you paste the link, then hit return. If the site detects that the link is embeddable media, then it will embed it accordingly. I'm fairly sure that Brandon mentioned once that YouTube links that have a particular starting time appended to the link (eg t=3m27s) aren't correctly picked up though. Might that be one of the sources of the inconsistencies you've observed, do you think?

​No, it's not the starting time issue.  Many people post links, about 1/2 of them embed.  The other half are either links or plain text of the link.

I am not sure of the proper way to do it.  

• ​Use a proper URL that IPS can recognize
  • put it on a single line and after that press enter
  • wait for the video to appear (Requires JavaScript and a browser who fully supports the editor)
  • submit the post

That’s it in a nutshell. It if doesn’t work, it can be a problem with any of these things. 

Archived