On 11/12/2015, 3:34:09, Mike John said:

Just tried and was unable to reproduce this. Are you using IPB 4.0 or 4.1? I'll need board access to troubleshoot this further.

I'm using 4.1.3.2. I created an account for you but could not add it to the admin group since there is a bug. As soon as a fix is released I'll do that and then please have a look. Thank you in advance.

On 11/10/2015, 8:24:06, ehku said:

@Mike John: If there is a hidden topic in one of the selected forum, then there is an error when opening the portal:

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX0

Could you please check?

Upgraded to 4.1.4 and no longer have this issue.

On 11/22/2015, 8:30:43, Adam Tappert said:

The portal doesn't seem to respect permissions... any way to remedy?

Seems like you've already had this posted.  I've also seen the "hidden topic breaks portal" bug

I think you are seeing a hidden post on the Portal because you are an admin. Try with a guest or another account to see if there's a difference.

For websites with forum-based content, which I believe is most of the cases of IPS websites, the idea of having a separate database like IPS Pages does not appear to be a good idea. Besides, I think Pages is beyond the need of most of the websites of this kind (though it still lacks many fundamental or important features, and is not easy to use). On the contrary, the current Portal app is just too simple.

I suggest something in the middle of the two, with the following features: 

Display:

• Truncating options to set length, to choose whether to keep the formatting (i.e. rich text).
  • Article thumbnails (generated from images in the post, if no image available then choose a default one).
Article management: 
  • To ability to manually modify the displayed articles: remove or re-order/rearrange them (so that old articles can go on top if needed). Currently the list is built from a set of chosen forums, with a predefined order (based either on creation date or on the date of the last post).
  • Category: the ability to define a category for each added article. The ability to remove/add/re-order an article in a category.
  • Permission: which groups are able to manage the list. Moderations action in topics: promote to or de-promote from Portal (can choose category).
With these feature, the app does have a database, but it is very simple: just a list of arrays of topic IDs. Each list corresponds to a category, which contains the name of the category and an array of article IDs in this category. 

I strongly recommend @Mike John to make a paid app with these features, as a Pro version of Portal. I believe it will be a success. Of course I would be very happy buying it :D If somebody else is also interested in this, please let Mike know.

Thanks.

I have always been a portal type of person. I always had to have a portal. Currently, I am using Mike's portal but have thought about creating my own with Pages because I can do more with it. If there was a portal that could do more and have all the features that ehku suggested with the ability to add up to three columns it would be something I would purchase. But I would want to add these columns anywhere I want. For example, if I could add one column on the top, three columns below that, two below that and so on.   

12 hours ago, ehku said:

I strongly recommend @Mike John to make a paid app with these features, as a Pro version of Portal. I believe it will be a success. Of course I would be very happy buying it :D If somebody else is also interested in this, please let Mike know.

Does my News app offer any solutions here? Possibly with modifications to suit what your after.

41 minutes ago, Mike John said:

Does my News app offer any solutions here? Possibly with modifications to suit what your after.

Oh I didn't know about that app. From what I have read in the description, this app is similar to Pages, right? There is an option to create a discussion topic for the news, so News and Topics are separate, i.e. just like Pages, there are two different databases. Is there an option to promote a topic to News? By the way, is there a demo?

If you modify News content, will the content of the corresponding topic be updated? And vice-versa? Since my website is forum-centered (just like most of IPS websites), I don't really like the idea of having two different items with the same content (SEO is one of many reasons).

Edited by ehku
On 26/11/2015, 11:22:07, ehku said:

Oh I didn't know about that app. From what I have read in the description, this app is similar to Pages, right? There is an option to create a discussion topic for the news, so News and Topics are separate, i.e. just like Pages, there are two different databases. Is there an option to promote a topic to News? By the way, is there a demo?

A simplified version that was written specifically for News before Pages was ever released. I'll PM you the demo board so you can take a look.

On 26/11/2015, 11:22:07, ehku said:

If you modify News content, will the content of the corresponding topic be updated? And vice-versa? Since my website is forum-centered (just like most of IPS websites), I don't really like the idea of having two different items with the same content (SEO is one of many reasons).

Yes topic is updated but currently no sync between news comments and topic posts.

On 25. 11. 2015, ehku said:

For websites with forum-based content, which I believe is most of the cases of IPS websites, the idea of having a separate database like IPS Pages does not appear to be a good idea. Besides, I think Pages is beyond the need of most of the websites of this kind (though it still lacks many fundamental or important features, and is not easy to use). On the contrary, the current Portal app is just too simple.

I suggest something in the middle of the two, with the following features: 

Display:

• Truncating options to set length, to choose whether to keep the formatting (i.e. rich text).
  • Article thumbnails (generated from images in the post, if no image available then choose a default one).
Article management: 
  • To ability to manually modify the displayed articles: remove or re-order/rearrange them (so that old articles can go on top if needed). Currently the list is built from a set of chosen forums, with a predefined order (based either on creation date or on the date of the last post).
  • Category: the ability to define a category for each added article. The ability to remove/add/re-order an article in a category.
  • Permission: which groups are able to manage the list. Moderations action in topics: promote to or de-promote from Portal (can choose category).
With these feature, the app does have a database, but it is very simple: just a list of arrays of topic IDs. Each list corresponds to a category, which contains the name of the category and an array of article IDs in this category. 

Thanks.

I really like this idea. I have the News app installed but I really miss article thumbnails and the option to keep formatting - now it is just text, hyperlinks are also removed in the preview until you open a certain news item.

@Mike John - can the news app be just section of the Portal?

With IPB 4.1.4 the sort order of portal topics does not seem to work if selecting to sort by topic start time. Rather, it sorts by default of last updated topic no matter what the setting. It worked correctly with IPB 4.1.3.2 .

I had to change the sortBy line in portal.php from start_date to forums_topics.start_date and it then works as expected.

Edit: Seems to be IPB bug with fix attached at following URL. After reversing my edit and applying the patch it works as expected again.

Edited by prupdated

Thanks @Mike John

I've tried the Portal app and I really like it. It's really simple and I don't need anything more complicated at the moment.

Is there a way to disable the topic feed? I've now set it up so it displays only pinned topics from a subforum which doesn't have any pinned topics. But the problem is I'm left with a chunk of white space at the bottom. My site is slo-racing.com

This is a bit off-topic - I'm unable to set more than 3 news entries in the News widget. Is that a known bug?

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/12/2015 at 8:50 AM, Ramy Daas said:

Is it possible to create left blocks with this portal? I'd like to have blocks on both side of the page. Right & Left.

Not with this version but something that will be looked at for an upcoming version.

On 20/12/2015 at 5:39 AM, sonimik1 said:

Truncate main topic post? 30 I get the text only

I want to leave the image and then some text first.

I'm not sure I understand. The truncate is based on the number of lines so wouldn't be able to only apply to text and then not an image.

3 hours ago, sonimik1 said:

main image and then some text.

It might be possible if your willing to change the type of truncate used to "hide" the post rather then remove. Let me know and can put together some edits. But right now it can't extract 1 image from a post and display it separately.

Would it be impossible to utilize the tags of the thread as some sort of category system on the Portal? Say a few of my 'news' is tagged with anime news while some is site news, etc.. well the tags would be listed as categories and have a sidebar to navigate the categories as well so that going to one would only show the posts with those tags? Could easily have the board it pulls topics from have a pre-defined set of tags only to make it much easier. Basically... I'm hoping to make the experience closer to that of a wordpress news blog in my forums genre so I could do away with the wordpress install that is completely separated from the community and therefore have the comments system for the news on the actual forum; as I currently do it... I've been having to manually repost the same news on both the forum and the wordpress install and then users don't really have any reason to visit the wordpress blog anyhow since the same report is on the forum; so I really only keep it for it's organization, listings, and categories.

2 hours ago, Koby said:

Would it be impossible to utilize the tags of the thread as some sort of category system on the Portal? Say a few of my 'news' is tagged with anime news while some is site news, etc.. well the tags would be listed as categories and have a sidebar to navigate the categories as well so that going to one would only show the posts with those tags? Could easily have the board it pulls topics from have a pre-defined set of tags only to make it much easier.

Theoretically yes but with a few complications. I use an internal function to get all the topics with permissions checked already, I don't believe there's support to filter this by tags specifically and some work around would be needed there.