Question about IP.Commerce support request from a guest

LaCollision

Hi there,

I'm wondering how support requests from guests can work in IP.Commerce.

If a guest sends a new support request, how will he get an answer?

I could create for instance a required custom field "email address", but :

• the staff would have to reply on this email address and then we don't use the support module anymore…

• this custom field should be visible only for guests, but I can't find this option in the support module.

Do you have any idea?

Thanks!

Good question. I'm not sure how you even got it to work for Guests. IPS4 places a tab in the Menu by default but I get this:

The page you are trying to access is not available to guests, but may be available if you sign in.

Error code: 2X265/1

I can't find any permissions for it at all. Not in the "settings" area. Not in "Groups" either (which has only some Apps but not others... not sure why this is sometimes here, sometimes in App Name > Settings) So I looked at Applications and it's not accessible either. I went to "Menu" because it appears in the menu and IPS 4 automatically places it there. (Don't know why Menu is oddly placed in the "Pages" module area.) But it's not there. I can't figure out how to make the support tab in the Menu not visible either, so that it isn't visible to groups that wouldn't have access to the support system.

I tried to set up 2 tech support departments to see if I could jigger some permissions menu. There is none. But I did get this. There isn't a reason for this limitation, just a warning.

A different department (Technical Support) is already using that email address. Each department must have its own unique email address.

If you can tell me how you enabled Support for guests, I'll see what I can figure out. The module is incredibly deep and features a ton of very impressive things. The organization is just very difficult to follow at this early stage.

• 2 years later...
49 minutes ago, mtlurb said:

Sorry for bringing this up, but have you figured out how to enable support for guest users?  

You can change the way the contact us form works, I've got mine to create a support request to which we can reply. But the guest cannot reply back. I haven't found a way, but you could get them to email you directly.

2 hours ago, CP_User said:

You can change the way the contact us form works, I've got mine to create a support request to which we can reply. But the guest cannot reply back. I haven't found a way, but you could get them to email you directly.

This is not useful because (as I have learned), if the email system on the server goes down, you won't get the contact us emails.

At least the support system keeps in the database the help requests.

2 hours ago, CP_User said:

If you have inbound emails setup for Support Tickets then the user will be able to reply from email into the ticket itself.

3 hours ago, Jim M said:

If you have inbound emails setup for Support Tickets then the user will be able to reply from email into the ticket itself.

@Jim M Can I have 3 email address for 3 support dept. and forward each one via cpanel (forwarders) using the advanced system, or will it only support one email at a time?

first@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php
second@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php
third@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php

4 minutes ago, CP_User said:

@Jim M Can I have 3 email address for 3 support dept. and forward each one via cpanel (forwarders) using the advanced system, or will it only support one email at a time?

first@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php
second@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php
third@email.com - /home/<removed>/public_html/applications/core/interface/incomingemail/piping.php

Yes, piping the email will be able to handle that.

Just now, Jim M said:

Yes, piping the email will be able to handle that.

Hi @Jim M Brilliant, I just quickly tested that and it worked well.

Just one last question while I have you;

I'm getting people replying directly via email to mass emails that we send out. I've created a no.reply@email.com - is there a way I can stop them sending us emails.

I've found that some people reply to PM emails instead of logging in and replying via PM, now I don't check the emails as they're not monitored so I've found out today that there a few replies in the inbox. Is there a way I can stop them replying to the email address that sends out notifications, etc?

2 minutes ago, CP_User said:

I'm getting people replying directly via email to mass emails that we send out. I've created a no.reply@email.com - is there a way I can stop them sending us emails.

I've found that some people reply to PM emails instead of logging in and replying via PM, now I don't check the emails as they're not monitored so I've found out today that there a few replies in the inbox. Is there a way I can stop them replying to the email address that sends out notifications, etc?

Unfortunately, this is not something that the software has the ability to control. This would need to be controlled on a mail server level, either a bounceback/autoreply or what you're doing is the only thing possible.

Just now, Jim M said:

Unfortunately, this is not something that the software has the ability to control. This would need to be controlled on a mail server level, either a bounceback/autoreply or what you're doing is the only thing possible.

Appreciate the help, thank you. I'll look into an auto-reply function.

Cheers

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

wouldn't it be best to setup email piping and an address  for that support channel? such as service@domain.tld ; I thought that supports replies directly back and forth to guests?

2 minutes ago, MADMAN32395 said:

wouldn't it be best to setup email piping and an address  for that support channel? such as service@domain.tld ; I thought that supports replies directly back and forth to guests?

Sorry, not sure what you mean here. His question was not related to support but to general notifications that are emailed.

1 minute ago, Jim M said:

Sorry, not sure what you mean here. His question was not related to support but to general notifications that are emailed.

oh woops. had another thread on the mind as well xD

*edit i thought OP was talking about support tickets though?

Archived