Custom Block Management

Ocean West

In the Block Manager the list of system Blocks should also include a toggle for "Content - Custom Blocks" when expand it would list all the custom blocks that are defined - Including any category folder hierarchy that is established including the description. (Just like the default system / application blocks )

If you have gone to the effort of writing what the block does the effort pays off when the rubber meets the road (Front End Block Management) 

Currently custom blocks are a subset of CONTENT and then you have to try to select them from a hover window that is not resizable and ultimately you have THREE levels of scroll bars to find you custom block ( Browser window / Popover window / Drop down Selection ) 

There is no information as to the blocks function or purpose.

Now that subordinates may have permission to Manage Blocks on the front end they need much more information as to what the block does, or where its placement is intended - some blocks may only be intended for side bar where others scale for the main content.

This here is just a bad user experience: 

Screen_Shot_2015-02-15_at_10.03.06_AM.thmaking the popover window resize to accommodate is not a solution to this the custom blocks need to be included in the block manager.

In the Block Manager the list of system Blocks should also include a toggle for "Content - Custom Blocks" when expand it would list all the custom blocks that are defined - Including any category folder hierarchy that is established including the description. (Just like the default system / application blocks )

If you have gone to the effort of writing what the block does the effort pays off when the rubber meets the road (Front End Block Management) 

Currently custom blocks are a subset of CONTENT and then you have to try to select them from a hover window that is not resizable and ultimately you have THREE levels of scroll bars to find you custom block ( Browser window / Popover window / Drop down Selection ) 

​Do you mean Pages > Blocks (under "Page Management")?

I don't understand why this is there as well as Menu. 

I figured this out. You can see it on the RSS feed on the sidebar on a new webmaster community I put up as a test site. Look at the sidebar and see the RSS feed. The way to place a block is like this.

1. Use the Page builder.

2. Insert a Pages block called "custom block"

3. Edit that block when you see the edit button and then you'll be able to choose the custom block and move it around.

What I don't like is that this shouldn't be a Pages feature. This is a global feature that should control your sidebar everywhere in the Suite. And then for each block you should be able to set it to appear in one or more applications or areas in the Suite, e.g. Show on Pages, Forum (but don't check calendar),  or "Show in all areas". Right now it appears that blocks may only be set up for Pages but not as a space in the other Applications. I don't know - IPS will have to answer this.

What I don't like is that this shouldn't be a Pages feature. This is a global feature that should control your sidebar everywhere in the Suite. And then for each block you should be able to set it to appear in one or more applications or areas in the Suite, e.g. Show on Pages, Forum (but don't check calendar),  or "Show in all areas". Right now it appears that blocks may only be set up for Pages but not as a space in the other Applications. I don't know - IPS will have to answer this.

It isn't just a pages feature. When you make a plugin block within pages, you are given a selection of core widgets to choose from, as well as pages widgets, which is what 'custom block' is. The ability to add any html you wish is a pages feature, but widgets can be used on any sidebar, or in the header or footer, on any page in any application in the suite, with very few exceptions(the login page for example has the sidebar disabled). Simply click the 'manage Blocks' arrow on the page you wish to add widgets to...

It isn't just a pages feature. When you make a plugin block within pages, you are given a selection of core widgets to choose from, as well as pages widgets, which is what 'custom block' is. The ability to add any html you wish is a pages feature, but widgets can be used on any sidebar, or in the header or footer, on any page in any application in the suite, with very few exceptions(the login page for example has the sidebar disabled). Simply click the 'manage Blocks' arrow on the page you wish to add widgets to...

Many thanks for stepping in and trying to help explain this. Thank you for your patience in advance.

​1. If this is a "plugin block within pages" then what happens if you didn't buy the Pages Application? Is it missing?

2. Hope this isn't a stupid question -- where is the "manage Blocks" arrow? For example, let's say I wanted to put a "Top Members" block into Forum home page while Pages is the default Application. Right now there is no sidebar block that I can see. While it is 3 columns, it is designed to be 3 columns full width, not 2 columns for the forum area and a 1 column sidebar. It's unclear to me how to define that a sidebar should be there and place a block in it.

Many thanks for stepping in and trying to help explain this. Thank you for your patience in advance.

​1. If this is a "plugin block within pages" then what happens if you didn't buy the Pages Application? Is it missing?

2. Hope this isn't a stupid question -- where is the "manage Blocks" arrow? For example, let's say I wanted to put a "Top Members" block into Forum home page while Pages is the default Application. Right now there is no sidebar block that I can see. While it is 3 columns, it is designed to be 3 columns full width, not 2 columns for the forum area and a 1 column sidebar. It's unclear to me how to define that a sidebar should be there and place a block in it.

​1. Any 'plugin' you can select to use in a pages custom block is merely a widget. Any widgets not listed within the 'Pages'  category of the "Block Manager" available on every page are available without the Pages application installed..

2. Said block manager is opened via the link depicted in my screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/pT2KE8KJC

​1. Any 'plugin' you can select to use in a pages custom block is merely a widget. Any widgets not listed within the 'Pages'  category of the "Block Manager" available on every page are available without the Pages application installed..

2. Said block manager is opened via the link depicted in my screenshot: http://screencast.com/t/pT2KE8KJC

​THIS is TOTALLY AWESOME. Thank you.

And being perfectly honest, I never even noticed that little arrow on the side of the screen and I don't know how many would without it being documented somewhere -- might be good to have a popup link in the admin area, e.g. manage blocks with a popup explaining where to look. Now what you are saying makes much better sense. 

Here's just one more question - if you have the patience. Let's say you just want to plugin in a simple HTML block, such as inserting only an AdSense ad tag. I don't see a simple way to create it and have it appear somewhere in the list of widgets to place in a block using the Block Manager. You can do that simply using the Pages App.

​THIS is TOTALLY AWESOME. Thank you.

And being perfectly honest, I never even noticed that little arrow on the side of the screen and I don't know how many would without it being documented somewhere -- might be good to have a popup link in the admin area, e.g. manage blocks with a popup explaining where to look. Now what you are saying makes much better sense. 

Here's just one more question - if you have the patience. Let's say you just want to plugin in a simple HTML block, such as inserting only an AdSense ad tag. I don't see a simple way to create it and have it appear somewhere in the list of widgets to place in a block using the Block Manager. You can do that simply using the Pages App.

​it takes about 10 minutes or so to make such a 'custom HTML' widget, but would require a developer to do so. I don't disagree with this decision, Pages is still about custom content without developer intervention at it's core, and packing all of the related features as core stock, or even this one, would devalue the intent of the application.

​it takes about 10 minutes or so to make such a 'custom HTML' widget, but would require a developer to do so. I don't disagree with this decision, Pages is still about custom content without developer intervention at it's core, and packing all of the related features as core stock, or even this one, would devalue the intent of the application.

​Thank you kindly for the response. I guess I'm just very confused by some of the decisions, opinions will vary. I just can't envision why IPS would want to have users go searching for a developer to accomplish something as simple as placing an ad banner or live help JS button in the sidebar. I would have assumed that some type of pre-made widget would be generally available for admins to simply copy and paste code. I'll look into the specs myself but remain surprised this is by design. 

I just figured out the side blocks :)  Now I want to add an RSS feed to the side block and an HTML block. To be straight, I'll need to buy the pages?

Are you saying if I but Pages that I'll need to hire a developer to program a block to hold HTML and an RSS feed?

I just figured out the side blocks :)  Now I want to add an RSS feed to the side block and an HTML block. To be straight, I'll need to buy the pages add-on, or IP.Content?

​From what I see now, it's definitely the easiest way. I just tried using the advertising portion built in to create an HTML block in the sidebar. But it doesn't appear to follow the same rules. It seems to place a field at the top of the sidebar and above the widget area where you can place widgets. 

I agree that custom blocks only appearing in Pages is misleading and confusing.  I built a very simple feed of random images for my IP.Gallery installation, but because it is a custom block, its a subset of Pages.

I can see the Custom Block list growing quite unwieldy.  

Archived